Cyrus aCa7 sound disappears reappears with twidle of volume control

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
dropkick
Five+

Cyrus aCa7 sound disappears reappears with twidle of volume control

Postby dropkick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am

Just upgraded my (C7 + Psxr) And (smartie + psxr) set up for preamp (aca7 + psxr) with mono x's.

Sounds great really happy with the sound!!

~Problem with aCa7 Preamp
But after extensive playing found the sound would disappear totally, and then adjusting the volume control very slightly it would reappear.
No warning LED's are ever displayed, gives off subtle static nick sounds sometimes before sound disappears

The unit is second hand and works fine except for this.

I am feeling this is a strange issue and am posting here to find out if infact it is a common issue?
And I would be right to assume this is a preamp issue and not a power issue?

Dosen't happen with the C7+mono combo.
Our bodies are given life from the midst of nothingness.
Existing where there is nothing is the meaning of the phrase, "form is emptiness."
That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase, "Emptiness is form."
One should not think that these are two separate things.

"Don't do it dog!"

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Cyrus aCa7 sound disappears reappears with twidle of volume control

Postby mickbald » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Weird, but a bit of guess here but...............

What is your source? Does it have a function whereby it "goes to sleep" after a certain amount of time?

border

Postby border » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:19 pm

I had this problem many years ago with an Armstrong 621.
Turned out to be a dodgy potentiometer in the volume control.
Some electrical contact cleaning fluid in the pot and a few turns from full to off cleared it.

dropkick
Five+

Postby dropkick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:04 pm

border wrote:I had this problem many years ago with an Armstrong 621.
Turned out to be a dodgy potentiometer in the volume control.
Some electrical contact cleaning fluid in the pot and a few turns from full to off cleared it.

Potentiometer pot thing is what I was thinking in my head, but I'm not that electronically technical.
I would think that Cyrus must have a bit of tech around the volume/led remote volume control.
Would be good to know for certain it is the amp at fault.
Iv'e not created issue with the integrated amp so all eyes are on the issue being with the pre-amp.
Last edited by dropkick on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Existing where there is nothing is the meaning of the phrase, "form is emptiness."
That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase, "Emptiness is form."

"Don't do it dog!"

dropkick
Five+

Postby dropkick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:16 pm

mickbald wrote:Weird, but a bit of guess here but...............

What is your source? Does it have a function whereby it "goes to sleep" after a certain amount of time?

No timers in my system, so this is not possible.
Source is a Turntable, happens whilst playing my lovely vinyls!!!

"Don't do it dog!"

operaman
Addicted
Addicted

Postby operaman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:50 am

Remember the Aca7 is nearly 20 years old now.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12791&p=276939&hilit=timeline#p160323

It may just be showing its age. Time to splash out on a new pre maybe?
CDXTSig, Stream X Signature, FM-X / PSX-R, Pure i20, Sonos Connect -> DAC XP Sig / PSX-R2 -> 2x Mono X300 Signature -> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand, Sugden HA-4 + Sennheiser HD800
Thorens TD160 -> Rega Fono Mini -> DAC XP Sig / PSX-R2 , 2x Mono X -> Celestion Ditton 442; 8XPdQx/PSX-R2->

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 am

operaman wrote:Remember the Aca7 is nearly 20 years old now.

https://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... ne#p160323

but it might just be that the volume control needs cleaning
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

border

Postby border » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:25 am

callen24 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12791&p=276939&hilit=timeline#p160323

but it might just be that the volume control needs cleaning

That`s got to be the first and cheapest port of call.

mojo

Postby mojo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:35 am

IIRC the only Cyrus preamp of the current case style with a conventional "potentiometer" is the original Pre - and I think that may have been related to the fact that it had a motorised volume control.

Everything later than that uses (IIRC) either a rotary encoder or an up/down switch. I doubt that either will be improved by cleaning, because if it's working when you turn it, it's working as it should. I would expect it to be something more complex than that if the preamp is muting randomly.

dropkick
Five+

Postby dropkick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 pm

https://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... ne#p160323

Not a very nice thought....
Sides i'm well above that age, and believe you me i'm exceeding all expectations...(Of course this hasn't been widely verified)

I purchased my Cyrus system new 15 years ago and am now doing all my upgrades via preowned.
Sides I'm more than happy with second hand units (that work) and of HiFi of yesteryear.
If I continue this concept with this time lag, I should be happy with every upgrade and still have a positive wife and bank account.
Honestly though I am happy with the sound, even though I might be denying myself better.
Anyone who has a buried but fully working aca7 I am more than happy to bring it to life again:)
Last edited by dropkick on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Don't do it dog!"

dropkick
Five+

Postby dropkick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:59 pm

mojo wrote:IIRC the only Cyrus preamp of the current case style with a conventional "potentiometer" is the original Pre - and I think that may have been related to the fact that it had a motorised volume control.

Everything later than that uses (IIRC) either a rotary encoder or an up/down switch. I doubt that either will be improved by cleaning, because if it's working when you turn it, it's working as it should. I would expect it to be something more complex than that if the preamp is muting randomly.

Thank you.
This makes me feel a little better, I was beginning to feel I had been a little hasty, because I had returned the unit.
I mean, if it was just a case of opening the unit up and spraying the affected area with IPA cleaner then I would feel a little dumb.
(Of course being dumb is still possible)

As has been said the unit is 20+ so it could have been pretty much anything, my first thought would be a dry joint.
A friend of mine who used to be a full time electronic engineer believed dry joints were the cause of many of the strangest issues.

"Don't do it dog!"

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:01 pm

mojo wrote:IIRC the only Cyrus preamp of the current case style with a conventional "potentiometer" is the original Pre - and I think that may have been related to the fact that it had a motorised volume control.

My thoughts exactly.

Overheating ?
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

dropkick
Five+

Postby dropkick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:06 pm

zippy wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Overheating ?

Possible but if it was overheating would the thermal o/l have cut in and the LED's warning flash?
Not sure on that model, but wouldn't the internal circuit prevent further use until temperature reduced?
I don't know but assumed the above, the unit I had didn't have a manual but I know that's how smarties work.

"Don't do it dog!"

mojo

Postby mojo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:21 pm

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Cyrus gear that's 20+years old! I have 18 boxes currently, and only one of those is in the "latest" brushed black finish, so I doubt any of mine other than that one are much younger than 15 years old, and many are older.

In my experience, modern electronics (which all of the "shoebox" style Cyrus units are) almost never suffer from dry joints. Occasionally you will get devices such as on-PCB transformers gradually pulling their own leads out of the board due to heat cycling, but that's very rare. Mostly the wave-soldering technique that they use produces perfect joints very reliably.

dropkick
Five+

Postby dropkick » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 pm

mojo wrote:There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Cyrus gear that's 20+years old! I have 18 boxes currently, and only one of those is in the "latest" brushed black finish, so I doubt any of mine other than that one are much younger than 15 years old, and many are older.

In my experience, modern electronics (which all of the "shoebox" style Cyrus units are) almost never suffer from dry joints. Occasionally you will get devices such as on-PCB transformers gradually pulling their own leads out of the board due to heat cycling, but that's very rare. Mostly the wave-soldering technique that they use produces perfect joints very reliably.

Good to know thanks!
1234....18 what?
Whatever that makes I bet it makes you smile:)

"Don't do it dog!"