Trying out Tidal

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Trying out Tidal

Postby argustimewas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:52 am

I'm expecting most people on here use Tidal streaming via either a Cyrus streamer or Roon.

However, I'd like to try a simpler version using my MacBook Pro and iPad and I'd appreciate a bit of advice please.

I plan to listen on my Apple laptop via an hifi iDSD USB dac / headphone amp and my Oppo PM3 headphones. I'd also like to try Tidal using my iPad sending the music via Airplay to my Apple Airport Express and then into my DACXP Sig so I can hear it via my amps and speakers.

I'd plan to use the hifi FLAC & hi-res Tidal tier (I can get the latter through my hifi dac, but not via Airplay which will be restricted to the former). I'm not interested in MQA as I have no kit to unfold the files.

I'm a bit confused about accessing Tidal via the internet? I don't have the use of a third party app such as those used with Auralic or Bluesound etc, and I don't want to try a Room trial at the moment. I've read I have to use Google Chrome to download the desktop app for my laptop, i.e. not Safari which I normally use on my Mac? Do I go from safari to Chrome and then download from there or is in now OK to simply use Safari to access Tidal on a Mac?

Also, what do I do about accessing the app on my iPad? I presume I download Tidal on my laptop and set up the trial account and then download the Tidal iOS app in my iPad and sign in from there having already set it up on the previous device? I'm assuming Airplay works with Tidal from iPad to Airport Express?

A long ramble and too many questions I know! I have to go out for a couple ion hours and would like to have a rainy Sunday afternoon seeing how it goes.

Thanks.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Trying out Tidal

Postby argustimewas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I've spent some time testing out Tidal Hifi.

I not keen on the Tidal user interface which I find too clunky, although I expect I'd get used to it over time and find it more intuitive and convenient with practice. The dark screen style seems similar to Spotify and I find the brighter visual presentation of Apple Music more to my taste. As a regular user of Apple devices and apps Apple Music is much more user friendly for my use as it conforms to a familiar house style. A few albums I searched were on Tidal, but not on Apple Music, but in most cases there is greater availability of my musical tastes on Apple Music.

Using an iPad and listening critically on both headphones and using Airplay into my amps & speakers I found little to choose between Tidal and Apple Music sound quality / appeal. I'm nearly age 60 and I'm aware my hearing is less sharp than when I was younger. However, I also tried out a series of blind listening tests with my wife who is of similar age, but with fantastic hearing. She's also a music lover who listens to music (LP, CD & Apple Music) on our stereo system regularly. I admit out home made trial would not pass any scientific rigour, but she consistently preferred Apple Music.

I'm pleased I have the use of Tidal Hifi for a month on trial and I'll use the remainder of the time I have left to get more used to its use and to access the music not available on Apple Music. I've already cancelled continuance of the service and don't think I'll be persuaded to resume.

For us, an Apple Music family subscription for £14.99 is good value for both ourselves and our adult children at half the cost of Tidal Hifi.

My main listening sources will continue to be LP & CD, but streaming offers great opportunities for exploring new music, background & social sharing on the fly when entertaining as well as mobile listening.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour