NEW CD PLAYER REQUIRED

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
border

NEW CD PLAYER REQUIRED

Postby border » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Sadly the Little Dot cdp-1 has given up the ghost and no longer wishes to play,I will miss it as it was a stellar performer.I actually preferred it to my cdxt/psx-r combo.
Consequently I now need a replacement and being a retired person I cant afford anything expensive.
So looking at a Marantz 5005 or 6006 but I am not sure if I need the more expensive model as I generally use the dac in the 8Dac.
Does anyone have any experience with these models or can suggest alternatives?

MiniCoupeman

Re: NEW CD PLAYER REQUIRED

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Agreed. Marantz make excellent CD players. Hunt around and you will get last years model for 70% max of the original cost. Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. The ‘old’ near the top of the range will be better than the current middle of the range. £450should buy an really good machine. (But I haven’t checked)

border

Postby border » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Yes I had a KI sig Marantz a while ago and was impressed by the build quality and sound which is why I have shortlisted these two models.Just not sure if I need to go to the higher spec model if I am using the Dac in the amp.

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Ianmac recommended the Sony CDP11 back in 2013 in this post:
Postby Ianmac » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:56 pm
For me this year - no contest--Sony CDP D11 Pro CD player wins hands down. Can be bought circa £100. S/H
Driving SPDIF into my Benchmark DAC1 I'm getting superb results.
Blows the CD8x and CDXT I had out of the water and a far superior build quality to boot.
( full technical service manual available if you want to keep it running for years to come)

I bought one on the basis of this and haven't been disappointed. There's 1 on the auction site in Germany, but I don't know what the description says and it looks too expensive anyway. It'll show you what it looks like at least, and you can take off the rack mount ears.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-CDP-D11 ... SwaMhZ2S~O

border

Postby border » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:38 pm

That could be a definite contender but feeling a little deflated after buying second hand a couple of times recently and been let down.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Look for a good clean unit with minimal paint wear indicating it was used in a fixed installation. They often appear on Gumtree or Ebay.
These were built to withstand broadcast operations. £100 should be the target price.
I have the manuals in my PC somewhere if you need them

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Richer are doing the Marantz 5005 at £169 and you can buy a 6 year warranty for an extra £16.90, so that would give you peace of mind. The 6006 is £399, so quite a jump.
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/cd-p ... layer.html

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 pm

the marantz is a great idea or an onkyo sacd which punch well above its price point
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm

remind me.
is cd your main source,
if not then the 5005 with warranty seems very sensible. it might not be quite as good sound as little dot, but it won't be shabby
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

border

Postby border » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Yes the cd player for serious listening.
I use the ipod and pure i20 for background music.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm

prices of the sa8005 have leapt up in recent months . dealers are selling them s/h for what they cost new a few months ago but you can still pick them up for around 600 quid new if you search
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

border

Postby border » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:12 am

Well the Little Dot has sold on Ebay for spares or repair so at least I have a little of my money back.
Out of interest has anyone had any experience with the Cambridge CXC transport?

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:07 pm

border wrote:Well the Little Dot has sold on Ebay for spares or repair so at least I have a little of my money back.
Out of interest has anyone had any experience with the Cambridge CXC transport?

do richer still do a 30 day money back, if you don't like it?
As it's your main source, i suspect that both marantz and cambridge, though excellent, will make you feel you have down graded
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

border

Postby border » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:12 pm

I think that you are right on that count,both the CXC and Marantz may sound a little light after the CDXT and the Little Dot.
If the Little Dot was still available I would definitely stick with it,brilliant little player.Sadly the latest incarnation is way out of my price bracket.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Given the popularity of streaming I'm surprized there are not a few used high quality CD players & transports available at good prices. Perhaps CD players will become as desirable as turntables?!
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour