Hi Res confusion

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
mason59

Hi Res confusion

Postby mason59 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 am

Hi there, I have a bi-amped cyrus set up and have changed my system to accomodate hi-res audio. I also wanted to play my pc through my amps.
I have the 8 2 Dac(which im using as a transport for the 8X. Psxr into the 82) I also have the Auralic aries mini.
I have the mini set up into the 82 but I cant get windows 10 to let me play hires through the usb dac lead. Its limited to 16/48 in audio settings.
Is there any way to get my pc to connect to my either the 82 or mini and play at 24/192 etc?
I am aware of the limitations of the 82 dac.
I would rather not spend any more money on a USB-S/PDIF converter.
I had a brain injury a few years ago and I am finding this whole area to be really getting my thinking totally confused. Its got me going around in circles.
Thanks

Cyrus X power
8x
psxr
82 dac
Aries mini

Cootie

Re: Hi Res confusion

Postby Cootie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 am

If you’ve got an Aries Mini, which is a great bit of kit, you can set that up to stream any music stored on your PC without any restriction on the bit rate. They only gap would be it wouldn’t cater for you playing music via e.g YouTube on the PC and streaming it to your hifi but, unless I’m mistaken, there isn’t any hi res music on there, so the 16/48 limitation you mention on your PC wouldn’t be a limiting factor then.

mason59

Postby mason59 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks but how do i stream to the aries?
When i try and try and connect the lightening ds app to my pc i get the message "network could not be found"
I havent a clue how to stream from my pc wirelesssly to by aries/cyrus

Cootie

Postby Cootie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:44 am

Connect the Aries to your WiFi router and then it should be able to see your PC. Then, if I’m correct you should be able to set Lightning DS to look for music on your PC and use that as a designated server. As an alternative I connect an external hard drive to my Aries and can drag and drop music to the Aries from my PC.

If you need more guidance both Auralic support and the Auralic forum are both very helpful.

mason59

Postby mason59 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 am

I have done that and the aries will not connect to the pc. It says network not found even though it identifies the pc
I have an external hdd into the aries but i cant drap and drop from the pc becuase the pc cant see the external

Cootie

Postby Cootie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 pm

The PC doesn’t need to see the HDD connected to the Aries, it just needs to see the Aries - drag and drop to the Aries and it will automatically be stored on the HDD as that is treated as part of the Aries

mason59

Postby mason59 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks
I cant drag and drop to the aries because windows wont let me. The ipad app wont connect to the pc. I have no idea what to do
I give up

Cootie

Postby Cootie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Alternatively plug the HDD into the PC, copy the files across and then just move it across and plug it into the Aries instead.

mason59

Postby mason59 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 am

thats what ive done. Ive tried everything to set up the server. ive got to lightening server details and put the correct information in only to be told the ip address of my network location is incorrect.
Ive paid out over 2 grand for my new toys only to have to manually switch drives. I am far from impressed by the aries and do not recommend anyone gets one if they want to network
The aries is a complete nightmare. Sound from my new 82 dac set up is sublime.
I have sent to email to the aries chaps and lets see what they do. If they can be bothered to help

mason59

Postby mason59 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:54 pm

I have just recieved this from aurelic
So the aries mini is useless as a newtork streamer
Xuanqian Wang (AURALIC LIMITED)

Mar 5, 20:34 CST
Hello:

If you are running Windows 10 PC then it is unfortunately not working now. Microsoft has recently launched a patch which eliminated SMBv1 sharing on Windows 10 and it has disabled the access from our device. We are looking for a different solution now but it may not be resolved easily.

Xuanqian Wang

mason59

Postby mason59 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:22 am

I finally got it working. I manage4d to get SMBv1 back on my pc. What a terrible attitude from Auralic. They cant be bothered to fix this solution. I am not a computer expert and I managed to fix it. I am sorry to say that Aurelic just want want your money and theres no customer service. The aries mini does not come with any instructions and manuals. There website is years out of date.
The sound is sublime but it took me three days to set up something that should take an hour at the most.
Their documentation should warn people that their software/hardware does not work with windows 10 without serious modifications.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:03 am

mason59 wrote:I finally got it working. I manage4d to get SMBv1 back on my pc. What a terrible attitude from Auralic. They cant be bothered to fix this solution. I am not a computer expert and I managed to fix it. I am sorry to say that Aurelic just want want your money and theres no customer service. The aries mini does not come with any instructions and manuals. There website is years out of date.
The sound is sublime but it took me three days to set up something that should take an hour at the most.
Their documentation should warn people that their software/hardware does not work with windows 10 without serious modifications.

Interesting to hear your story - I had Aurelic on my short list for a possible DAC upgrade, now I'm not so sure.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Cootie

Postby Cootie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:38 pm

mason59 wrote:I finally got it working. I manage4d to get SMBv1 back on my pc. What a terrible attitude from Auralic. They cant be bothered to fix this solution. I am not a computer expert and I managed to fix it. I am sorry to say that Aurelic just want want your money and theres no customer service. The aries mini does not come with any instructions and manuals. There website is years out of date.

I think you're being a bit unfair on Auralic here. In fact I've found them to be quite the opposite in terms of their customer service - very helpful and responsive. Their MD is actually a daily contributor on the owners forum and frequently provides technical support to customers directly.

Working in technology the challenge for many companies these days is how their products interact with 3rd party software, over which they have no direct control. They will often design or utilise Application Programme Interfaces (APIs) that work with one version of e.g. Windows 10, but utilises a key facet of that software, which can change overnight when Microsoft, Apple etc issues a new software release (often with little or no notice or detail around the technical changes upon which they might have a dependency). My guess would be in this situation that Auralic are trying to develop a solution that no longer uses SMBv1, such that customers don't need to initiate their own manual workaround to keep things up and running.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 pm

I've had good experiences with an Auralic Aries Mini recently finding the online guidance helpful. All of my IT is Apple and I think Auralic products are more suited to OSX & iOS.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm

i know virtually nothing about IT, but i am under the impression that win10 has lots of layers of security including not opening your computer to other hardware on the net easily. so it might just be an issue of not knowing how to overcome this easily. So your criticisms might really be of win10
is this a possibility?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM