Cyrus 3 - Chip Reprogramme

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
Dylanthecat
One+

Cyrus 3 - Chip Reprogramme

Postby Dylanthecat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi All, new to site though a long term owner of various Cyrus gear.
Chip went behind the front panel. I have replaced though it has not been programmed. Can anyone advise how to programme these chips?
Many thanks, Martin

mojo

Re: Cyrus 3 - Chip Reprogramme

Postby mojo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Given that you don't have a functioning one to copy from, I doubt there is any way other than by asking Cyrus.

In the past they have been helpful with things like that, but last time I needed to was years ago. All you can do is ask them - I suspect that they will just decline on the basis that it's too old to be supported, but I may be wrong about that.

ozzric

Re: Cyrus 3 - Chip Reprogramme

Postby ozzric » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:10 pm

If you have the equivalent EPROM, then you will need an EPROM programmer such as the Dataman S4.

Then you will need a copy of the Cyrus EPROM hex data for the Cyrus 3, which could be copied from an original working Cyrus 3 EPROM by loading it into the Dataman memory, then dumping it back to a blank EPROM. Or ask Cyrus for a copy of the hex data.(doubtful, as MOJO states, Cyrus are not likely to assist with such an old unit).

It imagine would be quite a task to manually program the EPROM, this is something which Cyrus initially had the time and resource to develop. There is likely to be several pages of HEX data to input, and you would need a copy of the data file as the output functions are going to be bespoke.

Easy solution, sell the unit as faulty, buy a new amp!