StreamX and radio

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
zippy
Addicted
Addicted

StreamX and radio

Postby zippy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:12 am

I don't normally use streamed radio much, so I had forgotten the fact that Tunein is no longer supported on the StreamX.
https://www.cyrusaudio.com/forums/topic/the-n-remote-and-tunein-radio/

So no proms first night.

Before I take my StreamX in for a ridiculously expensive firmware upgrade, can someone please confirm that once upgraded internet radio (primarily BBC Radio 3) does work OK.

I'm on the verge of dumping my StreamX and getting something more user-friendly (Bryston Pi ?)!
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: StreamX and radio

Postby callen24 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 pm

is your stream a V1?
If so aries mini, or bluesound node make more sense
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

BigFatGaz

Postby BigFatGaz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:43 am

zippy wrote:Before I take my StreamX in for a ridiculously expensive firmware upgrade, can someone please confirm that once upgraded internet radio (primarily BBC Radio 3) does work OK.

In a word. Yes!

To use a few more: BBC3HD 320kbps 48.0Khz - Taken from a Stream XP2 Qx via cadence.

I hope this helps

Gaz
CDt | Stream XP2 Qx | PSX-R | Twin X Powers | KEF 107/2 with KUBE | Chromecast via Toslink

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks - my StreamX(Signature) is about 5 years years old but I still have the original firmware since I wanted to retain Tunein and anyway I can't bring myself to shell out for the latest firmware until I know it's ok. Sounds like it is so that's one option.

I may be interested in the Aries (not the Mini-I don't need the DAC) as it seems to be popular and well reviewed, HOWEVER I just checked on their web page and they're showing both the Aries and Mini as unavailable.

In the meantime for proms access I've hooked up my laptop.
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Don't forget that if you have a N Remote this will bot work with the new software which is why I have never upgraded.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:01 pm

zippy wrote:Thanks - my StreamX(Signature) is about 5 years years old but I still have the original firmware since I wanted to retain Tunein and anyway I can't bring myself to shell out for the latest firmware until I know it's ok. Sounds like it is so that's one option.

I may be interested in the Aries (not the Mini-I don't need the DAC) as it seems to be popular and well reviewed, HOWEVER I just checked on their web page and they're showing both the Aries and Mini as unavailable.

In the meantime for proms access I've hooked up my laptop.

I recently took my Stream X Sig to the nearest Audio T that could perform the update and although the stream wasn’t bought from them, it was bought on here, they updated the firmware FOC. Firmware updates take around 15 minutes so shouldn’t be expensive even if your dealer charges for them. Hardware upgrades are another matter though as that’s Cyrus that sets the costs.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 pm

You're very lucky - my nearest AudioT is unfortunately 140 miles away, and my local Cyrus dealer quoted me around £50 when I enquired a while ago.

My 'next closest' Cyrus dealer is 99 miles away so very little option.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 am

I think we said this before, contact cyrus and tell them you are being charged
i find the radio on latest firmware no less than tunein radio. lots of choice.
i suspect an alternative is to courier to dealer, and back - which would be less than £30
My x2 has spent the day on a sonority roller platform and is sounding fine.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

The topic of charging for updates comes up at regularly intervals.

I did contact Cyrus last time about my local dealers high charge for update and their reply was:

"...Retailers are encouraged to offer it free of charge as a point of good customer service, particularly where they sold the unit in the first place. We can't prevent private businesses from charging for their labour though (time spent updating a unit is time spent not selling something), so best to ask upfront to be sure"

Not particularly helpful then or now.

I may just not bother for a while, since I don't listen to radio that much, and I can if need be hook up my laptop (digital output via external sound card)

(I still have the notion of sometime replacing the StreamX with something like an Aries of Bryston Pi)

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:02 pm

I've not looked at updating my firmware yet but I bought my stream xp2 sig it was supposed to have the latest update installed.
My cadence app has internet radio, it says it's not Tunein, but it works great.
I have Tunein on another system and the cyrus internet radio app works just as well.

How do you find out what firmware you have and also, how is it updated?
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Go into Settings / Setup, About. This will show SW version.

The update can only be done by a dealer.

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 pm

The digital inputs on both of my Cyrus amps are fed from small fanless PCs using USB digital audio interfaces. This allows far more flexibility when listening to radio streams from the BBC or around the world. It also allows BBC iplayer to be used directly if required. I don't have to fiddle around with Cadence on small screen devices or worry about firmware updates. There are many internet sites which are helpful and well organised when searching for stations and once the addresses are saved into playlists there is a wide choice of player software. My favorite players are Foobar2000 and MPC-HC ( aka Media Player Classic as was).

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:23 pm

In the end I 'bit the bullet' and had my StreamX software updated.
No problems so far - it seems to actually do radio better than with Tunein and easier to save favourites.

fyi the latest software version (assuming that's what they gave me) is 4.3