Please give me your reviews on streamers

post your reviews of Cyrus kit here, and any other hifi components.
callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Please give me your reviews on streamers

Postby callen24 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Obviously people have upgraded their streamers, for example maro did an extensive review of different ones.
The question id like to ask of people, in terms of sound quality what differences did you perceive, and how large were these.
I’m only interested in comparisons using the same system, not one with further upgrades soon after.
And less interested in an upgrade to something costed £1.5k, or more

I did such a comparison with a bluesound node and a stream x2, the later sounded better, but not by much.
For example, if you have a cd sig, is your streamer as good, or better, for sound.

I’m not asking for features, convenience, ease of use, i just want to hear about the sound.
I take on board that ian mac says his belcantocd2 sounds better than his streamer
thanks in advance
Last edited by callen24 on Fri May 31, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Please give me your reviewson streamers

Postby Joe » Fri May 31, 2019 5:37 pm

The differences are marginal. If you like the sound of the Cyrus and it has the features you need, a DAC/Pre upgrade might offer more bang for your buck.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

Cootie

Re: Please give me your reviews on streamers

Postby Cootie » Fri May 31, 2019 5:52 pm

I’d say my Aries Mini is on par with my XT/PSXR but the full fat Aries is appreciably better - smoother, more detailed, better soundstaging etc.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Cootie wrote:I’d say my Aries Mini is on par with my XT/PSXR but the full fat Aries is appreciably better - smoother, more detailed, better soundstaging etc.

yes, when i had an xtse2 and psxr it was slightly ahead of the stream x2
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 pm

anyone else?

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 am

I don’t think there are really any bad sounding streamers out there nowadays, they’re all pretty good. It’s down to yo7 whether you find one too analytical or otherwise in your system.

For me, the differentiator is Utility. Formats supported, the control app, and the philosophy for how the streamer works/fits into your system (Melco like, with internal HDD that stores ripped and downloaded files: Auralic Aries like, as a dumb front end only receiving files from a NAS or other device). These things can be vastly different from one device to the other. Then of course there’s Roon and Innuos, if you want to incorporate them into your system too.

I can only comment on 3 streamers. Cyrus Stream XP2 QX. Lovely sounding, but held back by its app and WiFi protocol used, not particularly versatile. Melco (not sure which model, bottom one I think), good sound, held back by lack of iOS app and if I remember correctly doesn’t pull files from a NAS, internal or connected storage only, and I think doesn’t have any WiFi connectivity so needs a hard wired connection, we had a lot of trouble getting this set up as Melco doesn’t work how we thought a streamer should work. Auralic Airies femto, good, detailed sound, was the first device that really ticked all the boxes for the audio file streamer market, good app, case is a bit funky (Auralic have since changed to square boxes!), newer models prices have skyrocketed, ridiculous. I’ve read some people talk about Auralic being clinical, I wouldn’t say that at all, not in my system.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:33 am

My initial foray into home streaming of locally ripped FLAC files was with a Cambridge NP30, and I would have been happy with that (around £400 I think it was). The sound was good, pretty much the same as playing CD's.
Then my amp packed up, so I auditioned and bought a Cyrus system (XP/StreamX/PSX). Main reason for including the StreamX was actually just to match the rest of the boxes, not for quality reasons.
Bearing in mind the StreamX was several times the price of the NP30, I really could not say with any certainty that it was significantly better. Same applies when I upgraded the system to Signature - small, if any, improvement.
I have occasionally dug out the NP30 again (e.g. while waiting for upgrades) and my opinion still stands that I find very little sound quality difference between streamers. Note that I'm talking about the NP30 as a streamer only - it has the capability to act as pre-amp also, but using that totally wrecks the sound)

The OP says not interested in functionality, but in reality that's a major part of the package, so as suggested above, you should be looking at other factors such as user interface, functionality, and updateability.
It is on those latter points that I would not really recommend a Cyrus - the Cadence app is basic (I use Bubble instead) and it's just too much of a pain to have to take back to dealers for software upgrades (and pay quite a lot for the privilege).
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:36 am

zippy wrote:My initial foray into home streaming of locally ripped FLAC files was with a Cambridge NP30, and I would have been happy with that (around £400 I think it was). The sound was good, pretty much the same as playing CD's.
Then my amp packed up, so I auditioned and bought a Cyrus system (XP/StreamX/PSX). Main reason for including the StreamX was actually just to match the rest of the boxes, not for quality reasons.
Bearing in mind the StreamX was several times the price of the NP30, I really could not say with any certainty that it was significantly better. Same applies when I upgraded the system to Signature - small, if any, improvement.
I have occasionally dug out the NP30 again (e.g. while waiting for upgrades) and my opinion still stands that I find very little sound quality difference between streamers. Note that I'm talking about the NP30 as a streamer only - it has the capability to act as pre-amp also, but using that totally wrecks the sound)

The OP says not interested in functionality, but in reality that's a major part of the package, so as suggested above, you should be looking at other factors such as user interface, functionality, and updateability.
It is on those latter points that I would not really recommend a Cyrus - the Cadence app is basic (I use Bubble instead) and it's just too much of a pain to have to take back to dealers for software upgrades (and pay quite a lot for the privilege).

thanks, i read somewhere that the NP30 has similar internals to the original streamv1

with bubble is it much improved, in terms of functions?

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 am

I have put a toe in the water with my Chromecast audio with Spotify. The sound quality is good but no where near my CDXTSE2 with PSX-R. I might get a Naim (wasting internal DAC) or a Moon streamer but only after I have got a Signature CD player.

The convenience is an issue for me. For downloading I don't want to have to burn my limited collection of 400 CDs on to a NAS server especially as I have just lost 6 months of photos when my NAS developed a fault! For streaming it still seems expensive to pay a monthly fee when I spend only 100 quid maximum a year on new CDs (all presents from family!).
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 am

angelface wrote:I have put a toe in the water with my Chromecast audio with Spotify. The sound quality is good but no where near my CDXTSE2 with PSX-R. I might get a Naim (wasting internal DAC) or a Moon streamer but only after I have got a Signature CD player.

The convenience is an issue for me. For downloading I don't want to have to burn my limited collection of 400 CDs on to a NAS server especially as I have just lost 6 months of photos when my NAS developed a fault! For streaming it still seems expensive to pay a monthly fee when I spend only 100 quid maximum a year on new CDs (all presents from family!).

You raise some of the points i’m thinking about, specifically getting a cd sig s/h
chromecast audio with flac rips or streaming tidal 16/44 via its optical out, is reasonably close to streamxv2. I’ve done back to back tests

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:54 am

with bubble is it much improved, in terms of functions?

I find it a much more 'user-friendly' interface. For example Cadence only works in portrait mode, so it's limited as to what information can be seen on the screen.
Cadence is very much a basic interface for use with Cyrus streamers only.
Bubble also allows you to select the renderer so if I don't want the bother of switching on the whole hifi I can play a file through my Android tablet/headphones (or even through my TV if I can think of any reason to do that !) Sound quality is remarkably good used that way..
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2