Showcase

What's your system?
RichardLowe

Showcase

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:03 am

Our conservatory is finally finished, and after a couple of floods due to our heavy Winter in the North-East of Scotland (we had glaciers trying to back-in under the slates!), the hi-fi is bedded in and singing beautifully. I'm still tinkering with speaker positioning, as its a non-rectangular room, with low shelf walls and lots of windows. I've found that lots of speaker toe-in gives incredible bass-response, but only in a tiny sweet spot. Toeing-out the speakers gives a more even bass-response, better sound-staging, and a larger optimum listening area, so that's the current arrangement. However, I know there's a magic tweak in there if only I can find it. It probably involves buying more shoe-boxes though...

:D :D

The Shoe Boxes

The Beethoven Baby Grands

Looking down-range!
Please ignore the patio doors at the back, I know they need another coat of paint.  :-[

Apologies for the photo quality but it was a cloudy morning and very diffuse light. My skills are limited to point and click I'm afraid. Next on the list is the 5.1 surround system, but a Stream X and DAC XP+ may just happen first. Choices, choices...

Richard
Last edited by RichardLowe on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Re: From Out of the Shadows!

Postby Czechchris » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 am

Looks great!  And, of course, will sound great with everything in black.  :D

After your winter problems I can imagine it is a relief to sit and enjoy your music again.  Thanks for sharing.
ARC cd5>Fractal f1 rca>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>Townshend Fractal f1 rca>PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Poweramps (mono)>Isolda>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>Coax spdif>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>Townshend F1 fractal>PL Dialogue Pre etc. .

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

purpleaardvark
Addicted
Addicted

Postby purpleaardvark » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Very nice set up, those speakers look lovely i bet a slab of granite or sapele would tweek things to the max.
[color=#4B0082][b][size=small]IsoTek Sigmas -  Bel Canto VBS1 -Bel Canto CD2 - Coherent 4D  - BC DAC3VB  -Fidelity Reference Mains - Belles A22 - Gamut D200Mk3 - Analysis Plus Crystal Solo 8 - Focal 1028be - Origin Sovereign Turntable - Conqueror arm - Dynavector XX2 cartridge - Black Ravioli

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Don't those speakers look nice!

You've got loads of glass there ...
... do you have curtains or plans for some?

Do they (or would they) make a big difference to the sound?
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Adam608

Postby Adam608 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

System and speakers look really really great and it looks like you have space for at least another 6 more shoeboxes there on top of the others to feed the upgrade bug!

You clearly have a very neat and tidy house - perhaps a cable management solution would just finish it off by tiding up those stray cables.  ;)

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:11 pm

We only have vertical blinds at the moment and there was a distinct change in audio quality before/after. With no blinds the room still had a bit of an echo through lack of sound absorbtion, and it made the treble a tad harsh. With blinds added it took a bit of that edge off, and its even better with all the blinds shut. We've still a curtain pelmet to fit to hide the top of the windows and blind rails, and also roll-up blinds for the patio doors which are just bare glass at the moment. I expect that will change things a little too. Curtains would be ideal but I already get tired closing all the blinds at night - we have a lot of windows!

I hadn't considered granite plinths but aesthetically my wife would probably go for them. In black of course! I've never gone down that route before, so will they make that much difference sonically?

I guess I'm busted on the cabling "solution" I've implemented. In my defence we've been decorating the room, so everything has been moved in and out a few times. I haven't found the time (cough, cough) to tidy them up yet.  :)
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

patriot

Postby patriot » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Yep, very nice.

Just wondering, what cables did you use?
nagra cdp --(siltech golden ridge g6 satt)--> nagra dac --(siltech princess g7)--> nagra pl-l --(siltech forbes lake g6 satt)--> nagra msa --(kimber bifocal xl)--> b&w 805d2

realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Postby realoldfart » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 pm

Lovely pics Richard, and a beautiful and elegant set-up to my mind.

I wish I had had the good sense to use my old conservatory (previous house) as a listening room - it would have been superb and the best room in the house.  I often come to conclude that I must be as thick as a brick when I miss a trick like that.

I hope you have many a happy hour tinkering with with blinds and curtains at your leisure.
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Lovely and just how I like it neat, tidy and pleasing to the eye as well as the ears  ;D
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

simbo

Postby simbo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 pm

A lovely looking setup. Aren't Cyrus shoeboxes just the best for a discreet system?

I've moved my system into the main living room (due to acoustic issues in the den) and am having a devil of a time finding suitable and subtle accommodation for it. I do miss my Cyrus gear at times, especially when I see a neat and tidy set up like this one.
Naim Mu-so / Project Debut III with an Audio Note IQIII :o / GS Genera (DIY)

01marea16v

Postby 01marea16v » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 am

Really nice setup you have there, speakers look really good  ;D

kpp

Postby kpp » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Love the way your setup is positioned, nice
CD7Q / PRE VS2 + PSX-R / 8 POWER MONO - 8 POWER MONO
SPENDOR SA1

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun May 08, 2011 8:34 am

i was just enjoying the lovely view out of the window, i`m jealous!!!!
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Sun May 08, 2011 9:29 am

Thank you hifinutt, it is a great view. Up until the Winter arrives and the private road we're on fills up with snow... We're on top of a small hill, and as its a private road it doesn't get gritted, just turns to ice, so we end up having to park at the foot of the hill, and bring up on foot all our food, supplies and logs for the wood burner. Wouldn't change it for the World though, we're pretty isolated, so I get to crank the hi-fi as loud as I like. When the wife lets me of course!

blu82

Postby blu82 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am

Loooking nice, wish i had no neighbours to worry about.
Then again if it were the case i would be half deaf by now.
So not all bad.....  ???
Cyrus/PMC
Musical Fidelity/Sennheiser