Formula 1

off topic
realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Formula 1

Postby realoldfart » Sun May 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Oh dear - why oh why did the BBC dig up Suzi Perry to front their presentation.

Lee McKenzie is so much better, much more articulate and with a much bigger and better personality.  And for the avoidance of doubt - much, much easier on the eye.
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

fixitagis
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Formula 1

Postby fixitagis » Sun May 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Technics Sony Marantz Chord Leak Sugden Monitor Audio

jules

Postby jules » Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 am

Most importantly it was a good race yesterday and Vettel didn't win  ;)

On to less important topics.....

I think Suzi is doing OK. She seems to be getting more relaxed every race and I don't think Lee would do a better job. However..... the problem any presenter would have is how to follow Jake. A complete natural who was probably the best presenter on TV, relaxed, in control, spontaneous, humble - impossible to follow really.
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Mon May 13, 2013 11:21 am

If you followed MotoGP a few years ago Suzi did an excellent job of hosting that. I think she is still settling in to Formula One and will end up doing an excellent job there too. As for being easier (or not) on the eye, I hardly think it matters. I don't watch F1 for the presenters looks! Jake did nothing for me on that front, but as Jules said he is a very hard act to follow.

As to the racing I find this year has just gone a step too far. We now have three artificial methods to promote overtaking:

DRS
KERS (uprated from last year)
Disintegrating tyres

When cars need 4 or 5 pit stops due to tyre wear this is just too much. Qualifying is no longer about getting pole, its about saving sets of tyres for the race, surely there is something wrong there... Yes there is overtaking during the race, but its simply a case of one driver walking past another who has no means of defending, such is the difference in pace of the two cars with DRS, KERS and tyre degradation. I don't think anyone wants a return to the days where its impossible to overtake, but some tweaking is required to allow drivers to race properly, while still giving the viewer an entertaining spectacle.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:35 am

if we were talking about the change from one male presenter to another it is unlikely that we'd be talking about appearence, or posting links to photos. it just shows that we still have a long way to go to rid society of sexism, and the objectification of women that goes with it
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Mon May 13, 2013 11:42 am

I've pretty much stopped watch F1 as a lot of the enjoyment in watching two drivers battling for a place has been removed by DRS. It allows a following driver who doesn't have the skill or speed to overtake by altering the downforce on a car. It's a completely artificial overtaking aid and whilst it might impress viewers who want to see more overtaking, it puts off those of us who'd rather see the driver's skill being the deciding factor.

If they insist on keeping DRS and want to improve it, they should ensure that it doesn't close the rear wing until after the next corner. That way, the drivers who was overtaken gets the opportunity to retake the position when braking into the next corner. 
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

jules

Postby jules » Mon May 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I'd have to say that F1 is the best it's been for 10 years. It was only 5 or 6 years ago (the schmacher era) when there was no overtaking except when another car stopped to take on fuel.

DRS has been a great leveller since in the past the guy behind, no matter if he had a faster car or was a faster driver, could never overtake since the turbulent air from the guy in front would lose the guy behind too much downforce around the corners, slowing him down. Now this still happens to a certain degree but it means on the DRS straight the guy behind can gain some of that loss back and sometimes overtake. Basically since F1 cars became highly reliant on aero for lap speed this in turn artificially gave the guy in front too much of an advantage. DRS is now, albeit artificially, correcting this.

Regarding tyres Pirelli have this, and the last, season been aiming to have 2 or 3 tyre stops per race, 4 stops in Spain was a mistake and they have admitted this and will correct it.

As a long time watcher of F1 (for 30 years) it's hard for me to explain to people how boring the races were around 5 or 6 years ago. Unless you could overtake on the first lap, you could forget it, the field would gradually spread out (field spread) and all the pundits could talk about was fuel stop strategy.

The Bahrain GP was fantastic with people battling through the whole field and lots of overtaking - not just on the DRS straight either (Button and Perez for example).

fixitagis
Addicted
Addicted

Postby fixitagis » Mon May 13, 2013 5:26 pm

[quote="callen24"]
if we were talking about the change from one male presenter to another it is unlikely that we'd be talking about appearence, or posting links to photos.
[/quote]

I think the women viewers would be, especially my wife and her mates, and a few of the boys too.
Technics Sony Marantz Chord Leak Sugden Monitor Audio

jules

Postby jules » Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 am

Check out 3min 30sec into this video:

F1 2013 | Bahrain GP | Button vs Perez Full Battle

The DRS didn't allow Perez to pass but brought him close enough to over come the 'aero disadvantage of being behind' (see my explanation above) and therefore allowed the guys to race based on skill. This would never of happened 5 years ago and the cars would have gradually spread out i.e. Button would have gradually pulled away as Perez lost downforce.
Last edited by jules on Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue May 14, 2013 2:20 pm

[quote="jules"]
Basically since F1 cars became highly reliant on aero for lap speed this in turn artificially gave the guy in front too much of an advantage. [/quote]

What I love about cycling is that due to slipstreaming the guy behind always has the advantage. This makes for fascinating tactics.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Wed May 15, 2013 7:51 am

It seems the boss of Red Bull agrees with me --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22509847  8)
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

jules

Postby jules » Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 am

[quote="julianh"]
It seems the boss of Red Bull agrees with me --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22509847  8)
[/quote]

But if you read the *unbiased* views of Gary Anderson half way down that BBC news page, you'll find he agrees with me  8)

cjyosemite

Postby cjyosemite » Tue May 28, 2013 1:33 am

To me the worst thing about F1 coverage is Martin Brundle on Sky. Full of himself but nobody wants to talk to him on grid walk-about. None of them keep pace with what is going on in the race although Monaco was better described as a social event as only 3 drivers bothered trying to overtake. About time Bernie took it off the calender but that will not happen. Enjoyed my trip to Barcelona despite some-one removing my Williams flag from its prime position in the main grandstand close to the finishing line. Atmosphere was excellent particularly when Alonso got out of the car on the drivers' parade before the race, but other than that very little engagement with the crowd from any of them. Pastor Maldonado in his Williams was first car across the finishing line for the second consecutive year but unfortunately this year it was at the beginning of the race instead of the end.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:48 am

Monaco reminded me how boring F1 can be, I didn't see last years. generally it is not as bad as when Schumacher won all the time. but they need to be careful not to let it get boring. vettel is brillant, but I don't want him to win every year
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am

[quote="callen24"]
Monaco reminded me how boring F1 can be, I didn't see last years. generally it is not as bad as when Schumacher won all the time. but they need to be careful not to let it get boring. vettel is brillant, but I don't want him to win every year
[/quote]

Surely sport is a contest where the best should win? Whether that's a rugby team, tennis player, cyclist, swimmer, or team of mechanics headed by a driver. Why do we constantly hear this about F1, that they must manufacture rules changes to make sure someone else wins? As long as everyone is on a level playing field (debatable in F1 at times I admit, given the influence of the top teams and budgets they have), then it shouldn't matter if the same person wins 5 or 6 titles in a row, simply rejoice in seeing a great sporting achievement. I hate to see the deliberate changing of rules to hinder or help the opposition simply to "spice up the show". I would watch American Wrestling if that was the type of "sport" I wanted.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se