BBC - Drowning in Plastic

off topic
jules

BBC - Drowning in Plastic

Postby jules » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 am

Was recommended this programme by a family member. Quite shocking and saddening, but it's message can't be ignored - something needs to be done urgently on this matter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bmbn47/drowning-in-plastic
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: BBC - Drowning in Plastic

Postby hifinutt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:21 pm

nice to see someone else posting in the bench !! its very quiet these days

yes an important issue to tackle with plastic waste
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 pm

We need a government committed to lots of intiatives to keep the planet habitable for us humans
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

ozzric

Postby ozzric » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:42 am

I think the European and American areas are well aware of the problem and are at least beginning to take some measures to combat the overuse of plastics and manage recycling.
The real problem lies with developing countries who have no clear current waste disposal management let alone recycling. National Geographic magazine ran an article recently listing the areas where most of the floating plastic originates, surprisingly the Phillipines is the worst offender, followed by Thailand. I'm not surprised at Thailands inclusion as I have visited the markets next to the Chao Phraya river which runs through Bankok, the market folk simply toss everything into the water.
Tsunamis also play a big part in washing huge amounts of debris into the sea.

Education is also a factor, I have been to India many times and seen the extent of littering there. If one person litters an area, then others will take that as a sign to follow suit and you soon get a huge mountain of litter which the local governments have little in place to tackle. Littering is also never challenged. Try throwing a bottle on the floor in a European town, you're bound to be challenged.

jules

Postby jules » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Yes ozzric, that's the problem. I live in Sheffield where all household waste is either recycled (paper, plastic bottles, glass, metal) or incinerated at high temperature. So zero landfill. We might go for a walk in the park or woodland and pick up some drinks bottles and crisp packets to 'do our bit'...

...then you hear that 2000 tonnes of plastic per day is flowing down the Citarum river in Indonesia :-\

What's the answer??
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:17 pm

We can only do what we can do. Pick up some litter today, & tomorrow, & the day after that....
Perhaps, instead of selling arms to the Saudis we could be designing & selling systems for recycling & disposing of waste to the countries most in need of them. Our foreign & aid policies should have the welfare of the planet at their core.