Boris

off topic
jules

Boris

Postby jules » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:45 am

Is he as daft as he looks or is there more to this man than comedy?
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Boris

Postby angelface » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:32 am

Apparently he is not stupid (he has a degree and has written a very well written book about Churchill) but we are about to find out if he is a good leader (filling the cabinet with people who agree with him was not a good start).
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am

he is not stupid
there is little evidence that he thinks beyond himself, or he is someone who works hard.
I think May was a terrible PM , but in respect of those things she clearly out shines him.

There is a lot of stuff that he has written himself that tells you he is bad news

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NLQ3Gbiopc4
Last edited by callen24 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

jules

Postby jules » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:22 am

My question was (slightly) rhetorical however I think most people have had enough of air-brushed Blair/Cameron clones so I think his down to earth character will actually win him much support from the public.

His policies are obviously hugely divisive so we'll wait to see if he makes in into 2020 still in power....
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:32 am

jules wrote:My question was (slightly) rhetorical however I think most people have had enough of air-brushed Blair/Cameron clones so I think his down to earth character will actually win him much support from the public.

His policies are obviously hugely divisive so we'll wait to see if he makes in into 2020 still in power....

the thing is his image, like trumps, is equally created , in the way blair and cameron were.

Politics as a branch of the entertainment industry.
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Total buffoon who drops clangers all the time . Ah well , probably be a general election soon
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:08 pm

hifinutt wrote:Total buffoon who drops clangers all the time . Ah well , probably be a general election soon

I was reading earlier that as Parliament has now risen for the summer recess, the earliest possible election date is now 24 October. I understand there’s a mandatory minimum 3 week period between when the election is called and when it can take place during which Parliament does not sit. Therefore if an election was called at the right/wrong time then the country could end up leaving the EU whilst Parliament is not sitting. I can find no detail on how the MPs would prevent a ‘No Deal’ in those circumstances.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 pm

julianh wrote:
hifinutt wrote:Total buffoon who drops clangers all the time . Ah well , probably be a general election soon

I was reading earlier that as Parliament has now risen for the summer recess, the earliest possible election date is now 24 October. I understand there’s a mandatory minimum 3 week period between when the election is called and when it can take place during which Parliament does not sit. Therefore if an election was called at the right/wrong time then the country could end up leaving the EU whilst Parliament is not sitting. I can find no detail on how the MPs would prevent a ‘No Deal’ in those circumstances.

that is one of the concerns, that any revised deal will have no parliamentary scrutiny of the details , giving the new PM a free hand. Easier for him to pass something off as one thing, when it is no such thing.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/63099/parliam ... ugh-brexit

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Did anyone actually listen to what our new 'illustrious leader' had to say? I couldn't bear the thought of listening to the De Pfeffel piffle so deliberately missed it. If anyone did manage to listen to it without falling asleep, were there any clues about where the 'sunlit uplands' were? If they exist I'd rather like to see the unicorns that those Brexiteers believe they were promised. And in the spirit of uniting the nation, I assume us 'remoaners' are allowed to see said unicorns.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:21 pm

angelface wrote:Apparently he is not stupid (he has a degree and has written a very well written book about Churchill) but we are about to find out if he is a good leader (filling the cabinet with people who agree with him was not a good start).

Hmmmmmmm, the "well written book". His biography is nothing other than a very thinly veiled attempt at comparing himself favorably to Churchill.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm not really a supporter but I thought he handled his first day in the Commons pretty well. Seems he can talk sense if he wants to.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm

RichardLowe wrote:
angelface wrote:Apparently he is not stupid (he has a degree and has written a very well written book about Churchill) but we are about to find out if he is a good leader (filling the cabinet with people who agree with him was not a good start).

Hmmmmmmm, the "well written book". His biography is nothing other than a very thinly veiled attempt at comparing himself favorably to Churchill.

O0 O0 O0 O0

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 am

I thought Max Hastings put it rather well. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ty-britain
It would be fanciful to liken the ascent of Boris Johnson to the outbreak of global war, but similar forces are in play. There is room for debate about whether he is a scoundrel or mere rogue, but not much about his moral bankruptcy, rooted in a contempt for truth. Nonetheless, even before the Conservative national membership cheers him in as our prime minister – denied the option of Nigel Farage, whom some polls suggest they would prefer – Tory MPs have thronged to do just that.

He would not recognise the truth, whether about his private or political life, if confronted by it in an identity parade

I have known Johnson since the 1980s, when I edited the Daily Telegraph and he was our flamboyant Brussels correspondent. I have argued for a decade that, while he is a brilliant entertainer who made a popular maître d’ for London as its mayor, he is unfit for national office, because it seems he cares for no interest save his own fame and gratification.

mojo

Postby mojo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:26 am

As recently observed by Putin (who should know about these things), the era of rational, moderate, measured politics is dead - we are now in the era of populist politics. Trump says he will "make America great again, Putin says he will "make Russia great again". Johnson is just following the example.

His first major decision fits the pattern well: Announce that he will immediately be spending taxpayer's money to restore police numbers that previous Conservative governments slashed. He's spending our money to make himself look good, as he starts to get ready for the next general election...

I should add that I have no problem at all with increasing police numbers, but it's important to see the announcement for what it is: a blatant vote buy.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:41 am

yes HS2 to the north already and 20k police , who on earth is going to pay for all this ? when we have councils shutting daycentres for dementia patients and horrific programmes like panorama on care of the elderly funding
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns