Hi Res Albums - any else noticed issues

Pop, Rock, Jazz, Plinque, whatever ....
CyrusHerts
One+

Hi Res Albums - any else noticed issues

Postby CyrusHerts » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

I have quite a large music collection, mainly based on FLACs of a large CD collection

Recently I have been buying a fair few hi-res albums

I have noticed a massive difference in the "quality" of these albums

For example, I saw the latest George Michael album on offer (I think it was 24/44.1), paid for it and downloaded it

To say I was completely underwhelmed is an understatement, it was pretty much unlistenable, it just struck me that all of the high frequencies had been massively boosted and the sound cohesion was completely rubbish. I have noticed this on a few albums, has anyone else noticed me, or is it just me and my "old" ears ?
PC > SMSL XMOS Converter > or CD6 > DAC X > Cyrus I/C > Cyrus 8 + PSXR + Cyrus Q Power > Wilmslow Audio Classique Ribbon

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Hi Res Albums - any else noticed issues

Postby wyjsar » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Where are you buying from?
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic T70P
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:05 am

Yes - I bought a hi-res (24/96) version of Elton John 'yellow brick road' a while ago and I find this exactly as you describe - seriously over-trebled and unlistenable.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:57 pm

Isn't this a remastering issue, not a Hi Res issue? I complained (here) about the last Pink Floyd remasters. No amount of Hi res would make them listenable IMO. There is also some differences in 'delivery'. I downloaded The Doors box set in Hi res when Qubuz had an offer. It's very good but not as good as the DVD-A versions I have. (Yes I know I have to much money). Be interesting to hear from someone with the reissued CD in comparison to the original.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Although I’m probably not prepared to admit it, I do have an early copy of Listen Without Prejudice on CD (and on vinylj and I also have the recently issued box set which includes the remastered CD. If I wasn’t already listening to a live Peter Frampton album I’d put them on immediately and try to compare. Both CDs have been ripped to my NAS so I’ll queue up a couple of tracks on the streamer to listen to when the current album finishes.

As for the Qobuz The Doors box set downloads, they’re very good. I bought the whole lot for around £25 if I remember correctly. A veritable bargain.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:53 pm

I’ve just listened to Cowboys and Angels off both the original CD and the remastered version. It seems to me that the bass on the remastered version is a little further back in the mix. But it is not unlistenable to my ears. It also seems to me that this album has a lot of cymbals and hence treble in any case. Even the original CD is a little lacking in the bass area. I may have to give the vinyl album a listen to hear what it sounds like. But that will have to wait for another day.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:58 pm

zippy wrote:Yes - I bought a hi-res (24/96) version of Elton John 'yellow brick road' a while ago and I find this exactly as you describe - seriously over-trebled and unlistenable.

I have this album on an audio only blu-ray disk. I ripped the audio from the disk in 96/24 and it sounds pretty okay to me. Maybe some post-processing is being doen as the downloads are being prepared. I’m currently listening to Funeral For A Friend and the synths at the beginning sound a little less analogue than they do on vinyl, but nothing too drastic.

jules

Postby jules » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:Isn't this a remastering issue, not a Hi Res issue?

I would say so. Perhaps the record companies are messing around with the sound to make the buyers think they are getting something different and therefore "better" ::)
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

CyrusHerts
One+

Postby CyrusHerts » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:34 am

wyjsar wrote:Where are you buying from?

The album mentioned was purchased from 7digital, however, I have had the same issues from HDtracks and Qobuz in the past
PC > SMSL XMOS Converter > or CD6 > DAC X > Cyrus I/C > Cyrus 8 + PSXR + Cyrus Q Power > Wilmslow Audio Classique Ribbon

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:53 am

There are many threads on here discussing Hi Res music and the fact some of the music on sale is NOT Hi Res and just up sampled CDs
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:23 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:Isn't this a remastering issue, not a Hi Res issue? I complained (here) about the last Pink Floyd remasters. No amount of Hi res would make them listenable IMO. There is also some differences in 'delivery'. I downloaded The Doors box set in Hi res when Qubuz had an offer. It's very good but not as good as the DVD-A versions I have. (Yes I know I have to much money). Be interesting to hear from someone with the reissued CD in comparison to the original.

Why didn't you just rip your data version?
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Cyrus Stream X Sig ----> MCRU No. 74 digital --------> DAC XP Sig/PSXR2 ---->Tellurium Q Ultra Black XLR-->2xMono X300 Sigs-->  MCRU Ultimate--> VA 'The Kiss', Maestro Centre, Mozart rears (3X Mono X), Rega RP10/Apheta2 Phono Sig PSXR2. Sources via AG1500 mains regenerator

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 pm

SteveC wrote:
MiniCoupeman wrote:Isn't this a remastering issue, not a Hi Res issue? I complained (here) about the last Pink Floyd remasters. No amount of Hi res would make them listenable IMO. There is also some differences in 'delivery'. I downloaded The Doors box set in Hi res when Qubuz had an offer. It's very good but not as good as the DVD-A versions I have. (Yes I know I have to much money). Be interesting to hear from someone with the reissued CD in comparison to the original.

What software allows the ripping of dvd-a and SACD, let us know?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Dvd audio extractor does dvd-a, blu-ray etc.
http://www.dvdae.com/dvdae/screenshots

Not free, but 30 day trial.
ARC cd5>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>PrimaLuna Prologue7s>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  I/cs-Townshend F1 fractal; DCT 300; Isolda. Laptop with JRiver>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>PL Dialogue Pre etc. Townshend dct 300.

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:49 pm

callen24 wrote:
SteveC wrote:

What software allows the ripping of dvd-a and SACD, let us know?

DVDAudio Explorer does DVDAUDIO only, and is free. No software does SACD.
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Cyrus Stream X Sig ----> MCRU No. 74 digital --------> DAC XP Sig/PSXR2 ---->Tellurium Q Ultra Black XLR-->2xMono X300 Sigs-->  MCRU Ultimate--> VA 'The Kiss', Maestro Centre, Mozart rears (3X Mono X), Rega RP10/Apheta2 Phono Sig PSXR2. Sources via AG1500 mains regenerator

CyrusHerts
One+

Postby CyrusHerts » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Update to my original post

I paid with paypal for the download, sent a message to 7digital through their website, which went unanswered, raised a dispute through paypal unanswered for 10 days, then a response, saying "the download was checked and failed to meet their standards and was to be removed and re-uploaded" full refund offered