Brahms

Pop, Rock, Jazz, Plinque, whatever ....
Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Brahms

Postby Czechchris » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Jan and I have been listening to a lot of symphonies lately, and currently the composer is Brahms.
The first 3 symphonies are wonderful! The fourth is scheduled for listening later.
It got me exploring some more of his output; a wonderful clarinet quintet, Serenade #2 (at this moment) and the lovely Variations on a theme by Haydn.
We also have 3 violin sonatas by Perlman and Ashkenazy and the violin concerto, so plenty to listen to.

Do you enjoy exploring a composer's output?
ARC cd5>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>PrimaLuna Prologue7s>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  I/cs-Townshend F1 fractal; DCT 300; Isolda. Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>usb>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>PL Dialogue Pre etc. Townshend dct 300.

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Brahms

Postby hifinutt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm

yes could play his piano concerto no 1 so many times
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:49 am

I find I feel like a certain type of music rather than one composer.

For example if I am in a opera mood I might listen to operas by Pucunii and Verdi or if I am in violin mood listen to Vivaldi and Mozart violin music.

It might just be I am showing my ignorance of course 8)
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

jules

Postby jules » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06 am

Yes I've done that with Sibelius... I first heard his 2nd symphony about 15 years ago and that was enough to start the bug. It was then a case of exploring the other symphonies and looking at different recordings, then onto his 'other' works. The problem here is that, for me, the other stuff isn't really a patch on the symphonies. OK so The Violin Concerto is very good and also there's Tapiola, Andente Festivo, Valse Triste and (of course) Finladia, but generally the symphonies are just 'better' in my opinion.

I had a bit of a revelation the other day with Beethoven. I've been a huge fan of his piano sonatas but tended to gravitate towards the later, ones as most people would. However I started afresh and was quite blown away by his sonata No.2... even better was to print out the score and also read the wikipedia entry. Contained there was a link to a lecture by Andras Schiff who explained the piece beautifully.

e.g.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Son ... (Beethoven)

http://download.guardian.co.uk/sys-audi ... op2no2.mp3

http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usim ... 00beet.pdf

O0
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone