The future of this forum

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

The future of this forum

Postby Robert » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm

What are people's feelings about this forum?
As regulars will probably have noticed, I havent been online on this forum for a long time.
Truth is I was made redundant middle of last year.
And found a job at a well know hifi company in Salisbury, they make high caps and things like that. Mentioning no naims.
That kind of puts me in the hifi industry and means the "cyrusunofficial is not related to any hifi manufacturer" etc statement is no longer true.
That company in Salisbury pay me. and I pay for this forum, so they kind of indirectly pay for the forum.
With facebook and instragram etc etc is there a place for the dedicated subject online bill board / forum?
thanks, Robert
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: The future of this forum

Postby callen24 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 pm

given your past record, i think the independence is guaranteed, no matter who you work for
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:47 am

Do you employers know that you run this forum and if so are they happy about it?

Are they paying you enough that you still feel comfortable and do you even enjoy running this forum. If not then perhaps we could find someone to take it over..

I would be sad to see this forum go as it has been so much part of my hi-fi journey over the last twelve years.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

border

Postby border » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:50 am

Could you not just change this wording
"cyrusunofficial is not related to any hifi manufacturer"
to something different.
It would be a shame to lose a forum that is not only 99% of the time a pleasure to visit but one that has helped and informed many a Cyrus owner.
Or alternatively have an annual members fee to pay for the running costs so that you are not financialy involved.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:33 am

I really don't think it matter what affiliations are in place, either by contributors or by the 'owner' so long as they're openly declared.
It may in fact be a positive benefit to have hi-fi insiders contribute to the forum as they will presumably know a lot more about what's going on in the industry.
Please don't go down the Facebook/Twitter route - Cyrus OFFICIAL seem to have done this and it's really not the way to have proper online conversations about serious matters.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

jules

Postby jules » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:18 am

angelface wrote: and do you even enjoy running this forum. If not then perhaps we could find someone to take it over..

I would be sad to see this forum go as it has been so much part of my hi-fi journey over the last twelve years.

Agree - the question is do you enjoy running the forum?
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:10 am

jules wrote:
angelface wrote: and do you even enjoy running this forum. If not then perhaps we could find someone to take it over..

Agree - the question is do you enjoy running the forum?

the most important question, do you robert want to continue?

If you don’t, then we will find a way to move on, but keep together.

For example, i think hifinutt suggested people not on pinkfish media, could go there together if CU ever ended
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 am

First, congratulations on your new job! And in the HiFi industry too, get in! I imagine running this forum was at least a talking point that helped seal that deal.

As to the future of this forum:

I "grew up" in hifi terms, partially because of this forum. The knowledge of the members on all things hifi, and the friendliness (well, most of the time ;) ), made this a great resource. However, like many others I don't visit as much or contribute that often any more. That's not to say I don't care about its future, I do. But its needed change for some time I believe. Callen24 posted a while back that perhaps a broadening of its base from Cyrus to hifi in general, may be the way to increase the number of users. Certainly, I like many previous Cyrus owners on here, have moved on to other brands.

Cyrus seems to have changed its target market to the more mainstream, at least for now. There just aren't the same number of "audiophiles" coming to the Cyrus brand I suspect, after all they haven't refreshed their high end amps or DACs in how many years? As a forum branded for Cyrus owners, it must surely follow that the number of users drops as Cyrus becomes less relevant in the audiophile market. So it feels like this forum is withering on the vine. Of course re-branding to a more generic Hifi forum may not simply improve things, as there are other forums out there - Audio Abattoir, and HiFi Wigwam to name but two.

An important question in return Robert, is how do you feel about this forum? You have mentioned you now work for they who shall not be naimed, so is there a "conflict of interest" issue that you prefer not to continue? Or perhaps you've granted us this space with the sweat of your own brow for so long, that you may just want to move on.

I'd love to see the forum continue, but as it stands I think changes need to be made. Otherwise its in danger of being a limited club for (a very few) of the old guard, and the occasional new Cyrus owner looking for help with a particular issue.

I look forward to seeing other "old boys" reply to this thread with their thoughts.

Good luck in the new job Robert, your efforts over the years are greatly appreciated.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi Robert,

First of all, congrats on the new job, that's great news.

Second, did you see this? viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31903#p362180 Some people already shared their thoughts.

I still think a "rebrand" would be a good idea, or at least toning down the Cyrus, if you have the time that is. Most of the regulars no longer own Cyrus equipment and still find this a nice place to post. Naturally, I think it would be right to have a Cyrus section, and all the Cyrus specific info could be moved in there. If you need a moderator/admin, I'd be happy to help tidy the place up and keep an eye on things. I'm admin on a gaming forum so am familiar with the phpbb menus. I have to warn you that I don't deal with any of the proper tech stuff like updates, backups and database errors however, so I can't offer to "take over".

In terms of funding, I'm sure the Paypal donate button could cover that. I don't know what you're paying currently but our forum is bigger, with a Wiki and costs £13.22 a month (Bytemark BigV). EDIT: Just noticed this has gone up to £20 for new customers!

At the end of the day though, all good things come to an end. It's your call. It would be a shame but it has been very quiet and there are other forums. Hopefully there's a way to preserve everything though. There's years worth of helpful advice for Cyrus products here.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

frederico

Postby frederico » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 am

As a newish member can I add that I found this forum when I couldn’t get decent, unvarnished information from the official Cyrus forum or from the FB owners page. Now I regularly refer people here for deep knowledge. So please don’t underestimate the value of what knowledge is here or confuse new post activity for anonymous visits to the site!

Edit: congratulations on the new job Robert, and I don’t care who you work for, it’s the quality of posts and general respectful behaviour of he community which means I visit almost every day.
--------
8 DAC QX
DAB 8.0
Kef R300
--------

frederico

Postby frederico » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:28 am

Joe wrote:Most of the regulars no longer own Cyrus equipment and still find this a nice place to post. Naturally, I think it would be right to have a Cyrus section, and all the Cyrus specific info could be moved in there.

+1
--------
8 DAC QX
DAB 8.0
Kef R300
--------

frederico

Postby frederico » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:35 am

Robert wrote:
That kind of puts me in the hifi industry and means the "cyrusunofficial is not related to any hifi manufacturer" etc statement is no longer true

I can’t agree with this, sorry! It’s not who pays the server bills but who sets the content policy and moderates posts. Seems to me that CU is pretty self-policing in this respect.
--------
8 DAC QX
DAB 8.0
Kef R300
--------

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

My 10' penneth. First of all I would like to thank Robert for all the effort and work he has put in to ensure this forum has been such a success over the years. So many people have benefited your initiative. Thank you.

The CU is a niche forum which I value but recognise might be coming to an end. It was the first hifi forum I joined and within months met callen and John, crimsondonkey, hifinut, sunbeam, sap, davidh, mario and many others through home visits and at the Wam show. Many have left this forum but I suspect they still drop in now and again. I have bought and sold many items of kit to people through the forum who I trust and have never had a problem.

So my question to Robert is this.

1. Do the contributions we pay into your account in December cover your costs? I suspect not.
2. Do you really want to carry on the admin side? You've put your time in to be honest. Just keeping the Bots out must be a nightmare, not to mention the negotiations and subsequent contracts with suppliers.
3. Do you (and all of us as a group) believe that enough core contributors will keep the forum active enough to make your time viable?

If not then I would suggest we look at other options. pfm has been suggested as a new home. The Linn company forum recently shut down and moved to the Wam where they have their own dedicated thread.

If the forum were to close then the most important thing to me is that the knowledge database is preserved. There is so much technical information from the likes of ianmac, davidh and so many others that cannot be recreated. When the Linn company forum closed they refused to allow any data posted by dealers and users to be transferred to the WAM because of cost so much knowledge lost.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Have been thinking about my response to this thread and have just popped on to reply only to see that Mick has already expressed my thoughts!
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Yes , good to see Robert here and we are so grateful for the forum . FB is ok but they ask the same old questions all the time and as has been said , its hard to search for info

naim are super but they are expensive and many folks get into hi fi through more cost effective hi fi, you could say you are breeding more hi fi owners and more potential naim users through CU

I hope it continues to function even if it is a bit quieter than it was , but i had the opportunity t hear my first pair of mono x recently becuase of cu and i was quite taken with them
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns