The future of this forum

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Re: The future of this forum

Postby Joe » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:36 pm

To be blunt, I don't think Cyrus are the commercial rival to Naim they once were. They seem to have given up on high end to focus on lifestyle audio products. I can't see Naim being that bothered.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Joe wrote:To be blunt, I don't think Cyrus are the commercial rival to Naim they once were. They seem to have given up on high end to focus on lifestyle audio products. I can't see Naim being that bothered.

Maybe (he says hopefully) Cyrus are positioning themselves for a new range of really high end hifi...
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 pm

zippy wrote:Maybe (he says hopefully) Cyrus are positioning themselves for a new range of really high end hifi...

It's been a long time coming if so.

I expected a new line of products using the "One" chassis but spotted this on Facebook a while back:

"I do hope Cyrus keep the die cast "shoebox" for many years to come. My older components integrate beautifully with newer ones"
"Our classic and timeless design is here to stay!"

They're going to need a better display if that's the case.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:39 pm

mickbald wrote:My 10' penneth. First of all I would like to thank Robert for all the effort and work he has put in to ensure this forum has been such a success over the years. So many people have benefited your initiative. Thank you.

The CU is a niche forum which I value but recognise might be coming to an end. It was the first hifi forum I joined and within months met callen and John, crimsondonkey, hifinut, sunbeam, sap, davidh, mario and many others through home visits and at the Wam show. Many have left this forum but I suspect they still drop in now and again. I have bought and sold many items of kit to people through the forum who I trust and have never had a problem.

So my question to Robert is this.

1. Do the contributions we pay into your account in December cover your costs? I suspect not.
2. Do you really want to carry on the admin side? You've put your time in to be honest. Just keeping the Bots out must be a nightmare, not to mention the negotiations and subsequent contracts with suppliers.
3. Do you (and all of us as a group) believe that enough core contributors will keep the forum active enough to make your time viable?

If not then I would suggest we look at other options. pfm has been suggested as a new home. The Linn company forum recently shut down and moved to the Wam where they have their own dedicated thread.

If the forum were to close then the most important thing to me is that the knowledge database is preserved. There is so much technical information from the likes of ianmac, davidh and so many others that cannot be recreated. When the Linn company forum closed they refused to allow any data posted by dealers and users to be transferred to the WAM because of cost so much knowledge lost.

plus 1
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:13 pm

I'm thinking pretty much what mickbald has said earlier, but I've also noticed a steady stream of newcomers over the past year or so taking the membership to 905, so that would be an encouraging sign. Clearly I have no way of knowing how often these members stop by, but they've been interested enough to sign up, which is a positive.

I don't have a feel for whether Robert has the desire to carry on with the Forum, but perhaps there are knowledgeable members here who could help out in that respect? I guess a PM to Robert might be the best way of exploring that. This remains one of the sites I stop by everytime I'm online, and would miss it for that. I'm on pfm, but spend way too much time on their Off Topic section, rather than the hifi stuff.

As far as finance is concerned, the site should at least cover its costs and provide some compensation for the time spent running it, so I think that is worth exploring with the membership?

CharlieN

Postby CharlieN » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Have been a member for years, but this is my first post in a while and I've had to create a new profile as I don't have my old email address anymore and I can't remember my password (something to do with age...)
I've always loved the forum, and have bought quite a few items through it, including IanMac filters, and always had lively discussions. I haven't been on the forum for a while, but that is more down to personal reasons. I am only a member of two forums, this one, and another one for canoeing, so would miss it greatly if it goes.
Main system: [Audio] MonoX300, Spendor A9, Cyrus signature CD, Cyrus signature DAC (with PSX-R2), Cyrus signature streamer. [AV] Oppo105, Mono X300 + Spendor C5 (centre), MonoX + spendor (surround), Monitor Audio sub.
Bedroom system: Cyrus signature CD, Cyrus DAB, 8XPD (qx), Awaiting Spendor A1

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:00 pm

great to see you back on here charlie
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

CharlieN

Postby CharlieN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks - good to be catching up on what's been going on!
Main system: [Audio] MonoX300, Spendor A9, Cyrus signature CD, Cyrus signature DAC (with PSX-R2), Cyrus signature streamer. [AV] Oppo105, Mono X300 + Spendor C5 (centre), MonoX + spendor (surround), Monitor Audio sub.
Bedroom system: Cyrus signature CD, Cyrus DAB, 8XPD (qx), Awaiting Spendor A1

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:22 pm

i suppose we are waiting for robert to reply, and give us his thoughts
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes