Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

have you seen a good deal?
RichardLowe
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:54 pm

A 60 day free trial offer for new members, this is the CD-quality service - https://tidal.com/masters?utm_source=Gr ... ingdom_MQA.

For existing members it allows MQA Masters streaming .
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

User avatar
Joe
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:33 pm

RichardLowe wrote:For existing members it allows MQA Masters streaming*


*MQA capable DAC required. May contain traces of bullshit.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

RichardLowe
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Aberdeenshire

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:31 pm

I don't have an MQA DAC so I have no comment on that Joe, other than a skepticism of what is effectively DRM. However, if you do have an MQA DAC, you get 60 days of Tidal Masters free to give it a go.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

Cootie
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:04 pm

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby Cootie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm

My Auralic kit has the ability to unpack MQA files to 24bit albeit it’s not MQA certified. Certainly sounds better than FLAC on Tidal, with my wife having commented as such without any prompting on my part.

User avatar
callen24
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 am
Location: lesta

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby callen24 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Cootie wrote:My Auralic kit has the ability to unpack MQA files to 24bit albeit it’s not MQA certified. Certainly sounds better than FLAC on Tidal, with my wife having commented as such without any prompting on my part.


i wonder whether that is as much to do with a better master than it being 24 bit, not16?
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Cootie
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:04 pm

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby Cootie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 pm

callen24 wrote:
Cootie wrote:My Auralic kit has the ability to unpack MQA files to 24bit albeit it’s not MQA certified. Certainly sounds better than FLAC on Tidal, with my wife having commented as such without any prompting on my part.


i wonder whether that is as much to do with a better master than it being 24 bit, not16?


Could be

Attonine
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby Attonine » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm

I don’t have an MQA compatible DAC, but do have Tidal.

My Auralic Aries can unpack MQA and send the files to the TT.

After lots of idle playing around, I can say that there is very rarely any difference in the MQA version and the CD quality non MQA version.

One if the problems with Tidal is there are often many versions of the same album; MQA, non MQA, different release dates etc, as a result it’s not always possible to be sure you are comparing like with like, sometimes albums are very clearly different mastered versions. As for MQA or not, on my system - doesn’t make any difference.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

User avatar
callen24
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 am
Location: lesta

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby callen24 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Attonine wrote:I don’t have an MQA compatible DAC, but do have Tidal.

My Auralic Aries can unpack MQA and send the files to the TT.

After lots of idle playing around, I can say that there is very rarely any difference in the MQA version and the CD quality non MQA version.

One if the problems with Tidal is there are often many versions of the same album; MQA, non MQA, different release dates etc, as a result it’s not always possible to be sure you are comparing like with like, sometimes albums are very clearly different mastered versions. As for MQA or not, on my system - doesn’t make any difference.

crime of the century by supertramp , i found differences between the 16 bit versions
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Attonine
Sr. Member
Sr. Member
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:28 pm
Location: Sittingbourne, Kent

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby Attonine » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:13 pm

callen24 wrote:crime of the century by supertramp , i found differences between the 16 bit versions


Cant comment as it’s highly unlikely I will ever listen to Supertramp 8)

Minicoupman was visiting and weI did a little experiment with Alone Again Or by love. I have the CD on my NAS, Tidal has MQA version and non MQA version.

We tried CD from NAS. MQA and non MQA from Lightening DS app and then from Tidal app using Bluetooth and Airplay. In general not much difference at all, until I chose one version of the track which was clearly a different master and was muddy and unlistenable (compared to the remasters I’d been using). I can’t remember the conclusion to their test, which I suppose goes to show none of the sources/sending methods were soooo much better than any of the others, but the different master was a different matter.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

User avatar
Joe
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:44 pm

If you can be bothered, here's a thorough analysis of MQA: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/ ... ions-r701/
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

User avatar
callen24
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 am
Location: lesta

Re: Tidal HiFi - 60 Day Trial

Postby callen24 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm

O0 O0 O0 :-* 8)
Attonine wrote:
callen24 wrote:crime of the century by supertramp , i found differences between the 16 bit versions


Cant comment as it’s highly unlikely I will ever listen to Supertramp 8)

Minicoupman was visiting and weI did a little experiment with Alone Again Or by love. I have the CD on my NAS, Tidal has MQA version and non MQA version.

We tried CD from NAS. MQA and non MQA from Lightening DS app and then from Tidal app using Bluetooth and Airplay. In general not much difference at all, until I chose one version of the track which was clearly a different master and was muddy and unlistenable (compared to the remasters I’d been using). I can’t remember the conclusion to their test, which I suppose goes to show none of the sources/sending methods were soooo much better than any of the others, but the different master was a different matter.
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes