Building a Raspberry Pi system from scratch

careful with that soldering iron, Eugene
Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Building a Raspberry Pi system from scratch

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am

I’ve been doing some more work on my “SonyPi”; will probably start another thread and link here.
Most of the work is software related and making it automated.
Eg now I can plug in a new usb stick with music on it, the pi spots a new device, adds it to 2 x config files related to mounting hardware, launches moc (command line music player), locates a playlist file if there is one, or does random play.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:08 am

hi mick,
i realise this is focused on - how too
have i missed the bit where you say how it sounds?
how easy is it to control from, i assume, tablet?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Robert wrote:I’ve been doing some more work on my “SonyPi”; will probably start another thread and link here.
Most of the work is software related and making it automated.
Eg now I can plug in a new usb stick with music on it, the pi spots a new device, adds it to 2 x config files related to mounting hardware, launches moc (command line music player), locates a playlist file if there is one, or does random play.

As tempted as I was with trying a pi and dac, reading things like your project, Robert, has completely dampened my enthusiasm - it just so very complicated now.
ARC cd5>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>PrimaLuna Prologue7s>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  I/cs-Townshend F1 fractal; DCT 300; Isolda. Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>Coax spdif>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>PL Dialogue Pre etc. Townshend Fractal f1 rca.

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:36 pm

I have seriously over -egged it! i effectively have a headless boombox and want to ssh into it. You wont need that normally with a pi+dac as a streamer at home.

e.g if you use Roon:
once you've stuck the pi and dac together, and have it powered up and connected to a screen + keyboard, and already made a memory stick with dietpi os on it:
switch on and dietpi will install itself, 2 or 3 times you need to press enter followed by "root" and "dietpi"
select your dac from the dietpi config menu to set it up
select roonbridge to install it
done - roon should see it as an active endpoint.

What i've done:
all the above, plus
added airport
made it into a wifi hotspot
written a few scripts to automount usb sticks and locate and play music files from them. took a fair bit of research, and might look complicated, but if you want to go that far, it's a "do it once" job and it should self maintain. If someone else plugs a usb stick of music into it, it will automatically play.
Plus I like tinkering in the linux command line!
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Czechchris wrote:As tempted as I was with trying a pi and dac, reading things like your project, Robert, has completely dampened my enthusiasm - it just so very complicated now.

Yes, it does look daunting when you look at the scripts Robert writes but If you read through the link below it shows just how much is automated. I will be using these until I really need to to something special.

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5#p5

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 pm

callen24 wrote:hi mick,
i realise this is focused on - how too
have i missed the bit where you say how it sounds?
how easy is it to control from, i assume, tablet?

Hi Chris,

No idea how it will sound as I've never tried anything like this before!

If you look on a recent post on Roberts Sony project he is driving the Pi from his phone.

I'll keep you up to date as I move on, but it might take some time!

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Not direct from the phone. The "sonypi" works as a roon endpoint, supports airplay, and also plays from usb. For the latter, I can ssh into the pi to control moc, just using an ssh app on my phone. I could have installed jriver mc and used jremote on my phone but I didnt need that amount of flexibility. Just command line access via ssh is enough.

I have another pi (a model 2) with a hifiberry digi out connected to my naim unitiqute to add missing functionality: making the unitiqute into a roon endpoint, and giving airplay support.

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 am

Liking the look of the Sony Robert - have you done anything specific to turn it on and off?

Dietpi sounds interesting but without reading everything - does it shut down nicely if power is removed or is it still in the SD card may be corrupted if not shut down in software camp?

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Keep us updated on your progress and any problems - I'm thinking of building one just for the fun of it.
In my working days I had a spell as an ICT technician so I'm sure I can cope with the technicalities.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Coda II wrote:Liking the look of the Sony Robert - have you done anything specific to turn it on and off?

Dietpi sounds interesting but without reading everything - does it shut down nicely if power is removed or is it still in the SD card may be corrupted if not shut down in software camp?

Hi, dietpi is quite happy having the power pulled on it.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/pi-run ... -off/20977

The principal software thing I've managed to do is autoplay / autostop when a usb stick is inserted / removed. (using udev rules and sending commands to "moc" the latter being a simple music player, think of it like foobar running in a terminal, doesnt need a desktop).
Other than that, it's a roon endpoint and airplay compatible.

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks Robert. I think I’ll stay with JRMC for everything. I have an IdPi but would go down the route of DietPi with what looks like a simple install for that to get a bit more versatility and robustness to power downs.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi, the beauty of the raspberry is you can pull the micro sd card and set it up on a new one with a different os.

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Robert wrote:Hi, the beauty of the raspberry is you can pull the micro sd card and set it up on a new one with a different os.

The disadvantage of the JRMC IdPi is that if the card is corrupted you have to wait for a new one from the US as the licensing is tied in with the card and you can’t make a back up.