Another 12V trigger question

careful with that soldering iron, Eugene
mojo

Another 12V trigger question

Postby mojo » Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I've looked at the only other "12V trigger" thread on here but it doesn't quite address the question that I have.

I'm looking into pairing a couple of Nord power amps with a Cyrus preamp. The Nord amps have an optional 12V trigger input that can be used to power them on. Has anyone looked at the feasibility of creating a 12V trigger from the PSX-R socket on a Cyrus box which could be used to remotely turn on other equipment?

Ianmac

Re: Another 12V trigger question

Postby Ianmac » Sat May 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Went down that route a few years back then my new DAC had a 12v trigger.( which I still dont use !!)
Sounds like a job for an NE555 or 556 (two ne555 in the one package)
Have a look round for a circuit there must be stacks on the net
Use one to get a pulse on power up then it drives the second to generate a pulse of the required duration and when finished resets the two.
The 555 can easily drive a small relay so you can use it to switch 12v in whatever way you want for the Nord

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=NE ... ORM=IRIBQP
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

mojo

Postby mojo » Sat May 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Ah right - so it's pulse based. I've never looked at the way a standard 12V trigger works before.

It seems incredible to me that the NE555 is still around - I can recall building a 555 based circuit as a wiper delay on our Mk2 Transit in the 1980's! But I guess if it does the job, why change it?

That will provide the power-on pulse, but the power-off one could be more difficult, unless at least one of the power rails on the PSX-R socket stays live while the unit is in standby - I guess I need to get a meter out and do some testing...

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 am

Do you have the full spec of what nord are looking for to start and stop their amp. I cant see any detail on their website.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

mojo

Postby mojo » Sun May 13, 2018 11:23 am

No - there is no information about it that I could find! If it's a straight "12V on trigger input = on, 0V on trigger input = off" it should be almost trivial to wire to a PSX-R socket, but they don't specify.