From the mists of time... what were these speakers?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
mr_yogi

From the mists of time... what were these speakers?

Postby mr_yogi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:03 am

From time to time I like to browse the for sale sites for speakers I liked back in the day, always wanted but couldn't afford, that got great reviews but I never got to listen too.

So the other day I was searching eBay and I recalled an article in WHF from a very long time ago, which had a pair of compact bookshelf speakers I loved the look of. I never considered listening to them back then 'cause I was young, into hip hop on only interested in the size of the bass drivers >:D However I though they looked great and I can't for the life of me remember the brand of the speakers now. It's been really bugging me, so I thought someone on here might remember the article and the speakers?

It must have been around 1989ish, back when WHF was largely monochrome, 3 stars was the average review rating and something getting 4 stars was a big deal. The main article was a comparison of 3 CD based systems for about £1300, and the system with "the" speakers I'm trying to recall was featured on the cover. It comprised a slimline cd player and amp (Arcam alpha or delta and Creak possibly?), flanked by this pair of small bookshelf speakers, and I seem to recall the picture was set to look like it was a lounge as opposed to a studio, with soft lighting and a pot plant maybe?

The speakers had Natural oak/ teak cabinets with a sleek smooth molded plastic baffle in mid grey, with 2 way drviers, with the tweeter being soft dome? And I think the brand had quite a long name beginning with the letter "A". Also one of the other 2 systems in the comparison comprised of a B&W sub/ satellite setup.

Not much to go on, but if anyone used to read WHF back then and has a better memory than I do, I might might be able to sleep again ;)

t-roten

Re: From the mists of time... what were these speakers?

Postby t-roten » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:21 am

It wasn't a pair of Epos speakers?
Pioneer LX55 + Denon Da-300USB ->
Rega RP3 with TTPSU + Musical Fidelity M1LPS -> Musical Fidelity M6i -> Trond "Ellam 2.5"
Musical Fidelity M1Clic ->

Cyrus Streamline v2 -> "Trond" Peerless HDS-PPB

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 am

I don't think so, my recollection of Epos was dark cabinets with hard lines, pointy lines molded into the front baffle and those pointy dust caps. These speakers has lightish coloured cabinets and the front baffle was smooth and contoured, I can't remember what the grills were like. They were also small maybe less than 30cm high.

t-roten

Postby t-roten » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Something like this?
Rega RP3 with TTPSU + Musical Fidelity M1LPS -> Musical Fidelity M6i -> Trond "Ellam 2.5"

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

Similar but less pointy, to my recollection, the front baffle covered the front completely so you couldn't see the edges of the side panels. And the baffle was much smoother, both on the corners and as it domed into the center, also I don't remember any ports on the front, or maybe they were between the drivers?

I think the mid/bass driver dust cap might have had what looked like a couple of dollops of something (Glue?) hanging off the bottom as some drivers did back then.

t-roten

Postby t-roten » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Not sure what manufacturers used moulded fronts at that time, apart from Epos and Dali
I assume the standard British ones are out, such as Spendor and Harbeth.

What about something Japanese? Yamaha used to have some very popular speakers, and Technics were everywhere...

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the usual brands that used to turn up in WHF regularly; Celestion, Nad, Mission, Monitor Audio, Wharfdale, KEF, B&W, etc. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen anything from the same company again. Although I only read the mag sporadically back then, it did seem as they used to cast the net a bit wider, and covered a broader range of manufacturers than they did from the mid 90's, when they seemed to develop their "favorites".

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 pm

I think Troten is right, I seem to remember most (or all) UK makers had flat fronts - was mainly the Japanese who used moulded fronts especially the cheaper models.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 pm

heybrook hb 2000 , or something like that?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm not even sure they were British, pretty sure they weren't Heybrook, Rogers or Spendor, I think they were all prety traditional.

It's no good I'm going to have to spend the weekend sifting through my Parents shed.

jobseeker

Postby jobseeker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Are we talking too early for Revel?

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Well, I've been digging and found the magazine. What HiFi from July 1991, and the speakers were these:

IMG_20171024_154810_468-1170x1073-877x804.jpg
IMG_20171024_154810_468-1170x1073-877x804.jpg (181.88 KiB) Viewed 291 times

Anyone know what they are before I post the brand and model?

t-roten

Postby t-roten » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 am

JPW?

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 am

t-roten wrote:JPW?

I'd guess not, as JPW's I think were sealed boxes, whereas these seem to have 2 small ports.

They're a lot smaller than I expected.
When I had an Arcam, I think I used Acoustic Energy speakers, but they don't match the ones in the photo.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:20 am

Nope, they are not JPW or AE.