Cyrus apa7.5 + Smartpower > Kef r500 Query

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Neil Ridiculous

Cyrus apa7.5 + Smartpower > Kef r500 Query

Postby Neil Ridiculous » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone had tried similar to what I am about to detail.

Currently I have a couple of apa7.5 units powering a pair of Kef R500s. I really like the sound.

However, I have a couple of Smartpower units that are not in use. I suppose I could sell them, as an option. Or even sell them along with the apa7.5 at some point and upgrade. There are plenty of possibilities.

This is more of an experiment out of interest though. I was wondering how it would sound if I were to hook up all four units powering the individual high and low frequency of each speaker. As below.

Use the smartpowers in mono for the treble and the apa7.5s for bass, as per diagram. That would exceed the recommended rating for the speakers, though I never listen to music at crazy volumes anyway. I could always test it out easily enough, but I would need to buy a few extra interconnects first.

Has anyone tried similar in which the total power output would be quite significantly higher than recommended speaker ratings?

mojo

Re: Cyrus apa7.5 + Smartpower > Kef r500 Query

Postby mojo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 am

I've experimented with similar things and it's often interesting to do. I don't think the power rating will be an issue, provided you don't crank the volume up too much - it's generally more risky to use an under-powered amp at high volume than an over-powered amp, because of the risk of clipping.

Despite what Cyrus say about "gain matching", their amps do not all have exactly the same gain, so you may find that doing this alters the low:high frequency balance slightly, but the effect is likely to be subtle.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Do try putting the monos on treble too as it is not just power that is better than the smarts.

Many have tried this type of thing but most end up upgrading to a single pair of even better monos.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Neil Ridiculous

Postby Neil Ridiculous » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:00 pm

I tried a few combinations in relation to the above, and to be honest I couldn't make out too much of a difference.

I can say though I think there was slightly better bass control when using the apas on the low end. It seemed fairly noticeable when playing a well recorded CD such as Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds with Audiolab 8300CD.

I've since used the smartpowers in another set up with a computer.

It definitely has generated an itch though, as I feel there is further space for improvement. Adding additional apas or better would certainly have more of an impact.