Audacity - Anyone interested in compiling for Windows 10?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
roadsterg

Audacity - Anyone interested in compiling for Windows 10?

Postby roadsterg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

I have spent the last few days compiling Audacity, which is necessary if you want to use ASIO drivers for recording or playback. If anyone is interested I'll go into detail in the technical area. But if its of no interest there is no point in cluttering up the forum with this. So let me know if there are any users who would like an account of the pitfalls and work-arounds on Windows 10.

Ianmac

Re: Audacity - Anyone interested in compiling for Windows 10?

Postby Ianmac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Im using it with W7 and about to move to W10 so I would be interested
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 am

Ianmac wrote:Im using it with W7 and about to move to W10 so I would be interested
The off the shelf version works perfectly well with windows 10 as far as I know. I did have a small issue with the lame and/or ffmpeg additions ( I can't remember exactly which) having tightened permissions on default windows 10 installation directories causing Audacity to not recognise them. That's the typical kind of Windows 10 issue because of a lot of extra security on some directories mainly to prevent access by "Apps" packages. Do you need ASIO support? If so I'll put together some information about why I chose to compile with the latest version of Visual Studio rather than the recommended one and how I overcame the issues that arose.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 pm

I'm sorry there is not more interest.
Don't put yourself to a lot of work just for me.
Ill be installing Audacity onto a W10 PC as soon as Ive finished my Renderer and if I hit any issues I can drop you a PM.
Ian
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:31 am

Ianmac wrote:I'm sorry there is not more interest.
Don't put yourself to a lot of work just for me.
Ill be installing Audacity onto a W10 PC as soon as Ive finished my Renderer and if I hit any issues I can drop you a PM.
Ian

That's fine. My own interest in Audacity is for recording and editing from vinyl. I'm just waiting for some new hardware so that I can evaluate the benefit ( if any ) of using very high sample rates for recording.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:32 am

Im using it for vinyl transfer coupled with the Asus soundcard in my old MM streamer. I use 24/48. Im limited to that due to the processing power of the old Atom processor on the MB in the streamer. Running W7 Enterprise and fitted with a linear power supply I get good results. The weak link is the Asus soundcard.
Im considering an external usb connected A to D coupled to a W10 PC
Sytem 1.
System 2
IMF's

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am

Ianmac wrote:Im using it for vinyl transfer coupled with the Asus soundcard in my old MM streamer. I use 24/48. Im limited to that due to the processing power of the old Atom processor on the MB in the streamer. Running W7 Enterprise and fitted with a linear power supply I get good results. The weak link is the Asus soundcard.
Im considering an external usb connected A to D coupled to a W10 PC
Recent windows 10 updates, particularly what they referred to as the "Fall Creators update", made some significant improvements to audio handling via the WASAPI interface. Basically support for higher sample rates is built in. I haven't tested these beyond a quick try out and of course there is plenty of internet discussion around regarding pros and cons compared to third part solutions such as ASIO. I have always found difficulty with RF interference using internal sound cards and external devices connected via USB have been much better.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:10 pm

My Asus Zonar essence card has an inbuilt noise issue , with both inputs shorted one channel is 6db worse that the other and it may be induction from within the PC. The PC has a linear supply. Research into the ASUS revealed an impossible board to work on and there is little room in the mini atx box its in for additional screening.

I have been looking at a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 2nd edition as a usb A to D.
Website says it has drivers for W10. Spec seems adequate if one can tweak both channel gains to match each other.
Do you know if Audacity will see it via W10 ?
I dont want to have to use additional audio control software so looking at replicating the operation I have with the Asus soundcard.
Ian
Sytem 1.
System 2
IMF's

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 am

Ianmac wrote:My Asus Zonar essence card has an inbuilt noise issue , with both inputs shorted one channel is 6db worse that the other and it may be induction from within the PC. The PC has a linear supply. Research into the ASUS revealed an impossible board to work on and there is little room in the mini atx box its in for additional screening.

I have been looking at a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 2nd edition as a usb A to D.
Website says it has drivers for W10. Spec seems adequate if one can tweak both channel gains to match each other.
Do you know if Audacity will see it via W10 ?
I dont want to have to use additional audio control software so looking at replicating the operation I have with the Asus soundcard.
Ian

Yes ordinary Audacity will work with that device but only using WDM drivers. These can now be implemented with full support for high sample rates but only the OEM can tell you whether they have done this. It looks like the 2i2 is aimed at home studio use and there isn't much detail about quality or manufacturer of its A/D D/A chipsets. If you are just recording from vinyl then latency is not really an issue as it would be for live performance track editing so there is probably no necessity for ASIO drivers. However it seems that some reasonably good software is supplied which might include the ability to use the ASIO drivers and hopefully save recorded tracks directly to wav files. Audacity could then be used to work on the files in full 32 bit floating point format, which it always uses internally, and they could be saved in any format you choose.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Many thanks,
If there are better options than the focusrite let me know.
Sytem 1.
System 2
IMF's

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:27 am

Ianmac wrote:Many thanks,
If there are better options than the focusrite let me know.

I gave this some thought but I don't have any experience worth mentioning. You could look at Steinberg products or possibly Roland or Behringer, they all produce products aimed at home studio music recording but its hard to know what is best for vinyl digitising. I use an RME Babyface at the moment and that is OK. The original version of these has been superceded so you might get an Ebay bargain if you are interested in second hand.