Apollon (Nord) NC500

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
southpaw

Apollon (Nord) NC500

Postby southpaw » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:11 pm

After my x powers didn’t work out I’m back to looking for a pair of mono amps.

I’d been looking at hypex for ages and wonder if this is now the time to do it.

Whilst searching I’d found an Austrian brand called Apollon, has anyone considered these when looking at any of the Nords?

Lastly has anyone on here not got on with a NC400/500 after moving from a class AB amp?

Ianmac

Re: Apollon (Nord) NC500

Postby Ianmac » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:04 pm

I moved to Hypex Class D amps some years ago when I built two Ucd400's to replace my Cyrus Mono's. These are still in use on my second system.
I built two NCore's shortly after they were introduced and I use these to drive ATC Scm40's. They have more than enough power to drive the lower sensitivity speakers and a very low output impedance which helps optimise control of the Bass driver. I dont know what speakers you are using.
The NCore is an excellent amp with more detail and better transient response than many amps costing twice their price. I have not heard of anyone saying they couldnt get on with them.
Hypex's prime market is OEM where they supply Other Equipment Manufacturers with Boards and Modules to fit into their own designs.
I havent heard of Apollon but I presume they must be doing the same as Nord, using Hypex OEM NCore modules with their own input circuitry. Personally I'd buy locally or an amp kit from Hypex if you can do a little DIY.

Ideally you want to listen but I appreciate thats sometimes not possible.
There are a few people on the forum who have Nord NCores and Im sure you will get some direct feedback.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Sony CDP D11pro: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*Ianmac-Hypex Ucd400 monos: Kef 1-2.

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:19 pm

Apollon’s NC500 look almost the same as Nord’s - I was considering as there is an A’s new set available that puts them lower than the Nord equivalent.

I’m using some Technics SB-F2 and it is safe to say they’re already mismatched with my PM17KI and don’t need any more juice.

gary66

Postby gary66 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I built a pair of Ncore monos, which then replaced my Cyrus x200 Signatures as I preferred the sound of the NCores.
As I understood it the NCore kits direct from Hypex differ from the ncore modules made available to commercial companies in terms of the input stage. The companies fit their own to give their own flavour.
I haven’t heard the commercial versions but rate the ones I’ve got very highly. In fact I’m about to swap my system to move to active speakers which include the ncore amps.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 am

I have never heard any ncore amps including Nord or Apollon or even Bel Canto.

In my system I am worried that my front end and speakers are very clear and detailed. Adding an ncore would perhaps make the system too bright. I think that Cyrus Mono amps are relatively warm and are probably balancing out the rest of my system so I am likely to go that route when upgrading (even if Nord prices are very tempting).

So perhaps you should think about the rest of your system objectively. If you have big bassy speakers and a tube pre-amp, perhaps ncore amps might work well.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:15 pm

having heard diy NCORES and anthem M1 in my system i suggest you must hear anything you buy in your system. i say this because I appreciated the technical abilities of those two amps, but they were not for me.
I now own a NORD with sonic imagery op-amps. They are essentially the technology of the ncores but this NORD sounds very different, because of how NORD uses the ncore modules . So not all ncores sound the same. I suspect the cheaper and most basic NORD does sound very similar to diy ncores, but i know it wouldn't be for me. So beware.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

gary66

Postby gary66 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm

To me the NCores sounded a little less bright than the Cyrus amps. But both have lots of detail. And agree with the last post that the diy and the commercial ones will also be a bit different. It all comes down to what sound you like.

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:00 pm

I missed a pair of apa7.5s this evening. I thought they might offer a cheaper solution to my desire to upgrade.