CD Xt Signature running in time

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Pandrew105
Five+

CD Xt Signature running in time

Postby Pandrew105 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi.

I have recently purchased this player and whilst waiting for the delivery of my new unit I borrowed the dealers dem player until mine arrived. Plugging the borrowed unit to my system I was immediately impressed by the depth and clarity of the sound in my home set up (sounded very similar to the audition session at the dealer). When my unit arrived I duly swapped the dealer's player for mine. I was a little disappointed with the new unit sounding somewhat thin in comparison to the dealers player (same model) - however feel that this straight out of the box sound was probably due to the lack of running in. Has anyone had a similar issue with the CD Xt Signature or other high end Cyrus CD players sounding a little unexciting until it has run in for a time? I don't even know if running in is a physiological or real phenomenon for electronics (speakers do need a little time to loosen up) but know that when the units are warm they sound better so suspect a little truth in there somewhere.

What would be an expected time to allow for the run in?

Any experiences shared would be appreciated.

Cheers.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: CD Xt Signature running in time

Postby hifinutt » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:28 pm

yes of course , it will change in sound as its run in . have no fear . really glad you are using one and hope its good
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:37 pm

A period of running in did improve things. Leave it on repeat for 24 - 48 hours without listening to it and you hopefully notice a difference.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:47 pm

mickbald wrote:A period of running in did improve things. Leave it on repeat for 24 - 48 hours without listening to it and you hopefully notice a difference.

pretty much what i was going to say, you don't have to have your dac and amp on.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Always always buy second hand to avoid disappointment..
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Pandrew105
Five+

Postby Pandrew105 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm happy to report the player is now sounding expansive and with plenty of depth. Thanks for the words of advice. This running in thing seems to work and wasn't imagining things after all!

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Pandrew105 wrote:I'm happy to report the player is now sounding expansive and with plenty of depth. Thanks for the words of advice. This running in thing seems to work and wasn't imagining things after all!

might to give us a short review when you have done some listening?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.

Pandrew105
Five+

Postby Pandrew105 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Initial impressions are very good, the sound has more depth, punch, clarity and detail. That's without an external DAC, it's plugged straight into my AV-8. It's a great step up from my previous CD6s (which wasn't a 'sonic slouch' by any means) it has to be said. The new player is the most engrossing I've heard with the CD format, with vinyl being my preference. Saving pennies for the DAC!

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Works well with the 2Qute.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am

Joe wrote:Works well with the 2Qute.

i suspect he might find a big improvement with any dac that is of a recent vintage, but you are right that cd player deserves a much better dac

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

I suspect it's less about running in and more about your ears/brain getting accustomed to the new sound. Once it is warmed up of course say 45mins....
Last edited by phlppip on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:10 am

ah thats another thread i suspect
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

Ives

Postby Ives » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:18 am

Joe wrote:Works well with the 2Qute.

I second that.
I have in my listening room the CD XT Signature connected to a chord 2 qute and an ATC Sia2 and the sound is absolutely amazing. I tried it downstairs in combination with an Arcam Irdac into my Cyrus system and there SQ was excellent too.
If you should ask yourself why I keep the sig in my second non Cyrus combination, it is because my listening room is acoustically treated and I do al the serious listening there.

Pandrew105
Five+

Postby Pandrew105 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi all. Thanks for your comments. I'm definitely hearing differences in sound quality now I've had it running for a while. I'm convinced it is not 'in my head'. The sound seems to have 'come alive' some how. It has even been commented by 'er indoors (not known for audiophile tastes) that the sound quality has improved (commented independently of my opinions). Whether running in is a psychological effect or real phenomenon or not my experience would suggest the latter is the case. I suspect with lower cost components the effect is not as noticeable and the more up market/cost the effect is more significant.

In looking at possible DACs has anyone had any experience with the Rega DAC R?

Cheers

Hasselblad100

Postby Hasselblad100 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:37 am

I play my cd Sig into a Naim DAC-V1 but the Naim has no analogue inputs so may not suit you.

SQ is very nice.

The CD XT sig is a stunning player. To my ears it still beats hi-res recordings played through my stream sig USB port.