Roon into cyrus

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Hifihelp

Roon into cyrus

Postby Hifihelp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Does anybody know what is the cheapest way to intergrate Roon into a cyrus system without using your main pc as the server. And what’s the best end point player to use, but not costing much.

I can see that something like a Intel NUC with i7, 8gb or ram and an ssd drive, with a Auralic Aries mini as the end point with a digital out. But that’s a lot and not guaranteed better sound quality than cyrus streamers.

I bet some form of really cheaply self made server is the way forward, but I don’t want an expensive extra Roon Ready streamer when I’ve already got a cyrus streamer. Maybe some form of cheap Ethernet to spdif adapter, but do these exist. I’ve had a look at a Sonore one, but that’s Ethernet to usb and cyrus dacs don’t have a asynchronous usb input.

gary66

Re: Roon into cyrus

Postby gary66 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Small green computer do a cheapish range of ready made Roon servers.
Also have a look at the Matrix Audio spdif converters.

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 pm

I’ve been checking it out and seen some people blogging that a server they have made costs £300 with some used bits. Adding the sonic orbiter Se end point for £300 with a optical toslink out, I reckon you can do the whole thing for around £500. The server obviously sits on the network to the router whether headless or not, ie with or without a monitor, and the orbiter is effectively the transport ie also connected up to the router via Ethernet. It’s roon Ready and is basically a processor with a linear power supply you can also add.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:54 pm

isnt raspberry pi capable of being roon ready?
Last edited by callen24 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 am

callen24 wrote:isntbradpberry pi capable of being roon ready

Yes with digital pro hat, I am building one
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

gary66

Postby gary66 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 am

I’ve just had a trial of the smaller Roon Nucleus. It acts as the Roon core and uses an iPad or tablet as the Roon control. It needs an Ethernet to the router and plugs via usb to the dac. More expensive than home made but it’s plug and play with all software loaded, took 2 minutes to install, no issues or teething troubles and sounded very good.

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:38 pm

callen24 wrote:isntbradpberry pi capable of being roon ready

Yes I've built one (nothing like Simon is putting together) and it sounds decent. ROPIEEE £95 with the digi I/O which outputs spdif or TOS; as well the unit outputting via USB if required.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 pm

The nucleus is good if you don’t want to faff about. But an i7 Intel NUC with all the ram you need and the hard drive for Roon and ability to deal with DSP, plus a fanless heat sink case like the nucleus has, can be had for around £600. The nucleus is many multiples of that ie £1500 or £2500, depending on which one you go for. If thinking about the nucleus, my advice would be to buy a NUC with ssd, ram, and the case, and pay someone to put ROCK Roon software onto it. You’ll get essentially the same thing for a fraction of the price.

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Hifihelp wrote:The nucleus is good if you don’t want to faff about. But an i7 Intel NUC with all the ram you need and the hard drive for Roon and ability to deal with DSP, plus a fanless heat sink case like the nucleus has, can be had for around £600. The nucleus is many multiples of that ie £1500 or £2500, depending on which one you go for. If thinking about the nucleus, my advice would be to buy a NUC with ssd, ram, and the case, and pay someone to put ROCK Roon software onto it. You’ll get essentially the same thing for a fraction of the price.

That’s what I did built it myself and running ROCK, perfect solution
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm

I’ve heard some people say Simon that it’s noisy with the fan. Is that your experience if you bought an NUC?

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Hifihelp wrote:I’ve heard some people say Simon that it’s noisy with the fan. Is that your experience if you bought an NUC?

Mine is super quite it depends what you buy and how you set the bios fan speed

Rune

Postby Rune » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Also you do not really need a i7. i5 runs cooler and is quieter and sufficient for most users.

It is only if you want to upsample to DSD256/DSD512 and do room correction at the same time you need it. or if you have a big music collection say 300,000 tracks.

There are no SQ advantage to have the RoonCore connected directly to your DAC. Only advantage is "One box Nirvana"
If you use a renderer/endpoint/streamer like a RPI you do not need the RoonCore in the same room.
The RPI is totally silent and probably also less electrically noisy.
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:48 pm

That’s the great thing that it only needs be on the network not in same room. I think I’d still buy the i7 as the price difference is not much and I’ve heard some people comment on forums that the i5 version can not be best possible if using dsp.

Rune

Postby Rune » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:27 pm

If you can have the i7 in another room where potential noise is not a problem then just go for it.

An i5 has no problem handling DSP as long as you do only up sample to PCM (which Cyrus only support as far as I can remember). DSD is what eats CPU for breakfast.

I run ROCK on unsupported hardware. an Asrock Deskmini 100 with a desktop i5 7600 (real quad core) which is faster than a i7 NUC with dual core and hyper threading and less noisy because of the bigger Desktop cooler set to silent mode in bios.
It is only slightly bigger than a NUC and cheaper (not the reason I got it).
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

Midnite

Postby Midnite » Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 am

Just seen the Roon 1.5 update and that they decode MQA even for dacs that don’t support the format. This could be good news for dac xp users like myself. I’ll be giving that a whirl today and see how it fairs.