Oppo Pulling Out of AV

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Oppo Pulling Out of AV

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Having just bought a new Panasonic 4K TV I decided to treat myself to an Oppo 4K player. I was shocked when I called the dealer in Ebinburgh to be told Oppo is pulling out of the market to concentrate on their mobile phone operation. First, they have such a huge reputation for their AV kit it was a surprise, and secondly did anyone know Oppo made phones? And that the phone business is so successful they can shut down a very successful AV business.

I Googled for info and sure enough they're closing down, though they'll continue to support existing kit and release firmware updates -
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... e-business. I'm hoping to get the last Oppo UDP 203 from the Edinburgh shop, and at a reduced price because of the circumstances. But what a pity for a great manufacturer to disappear at the height of their success, and not due to market or financial conditions.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Oppo Pulling Out of AV

Postby caine » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:52 pm

I think their AV business is quite small. We are all used to banging around OPPO and other brands. That ain't what 99% of the population buy.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Elgar

Postby Elgar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

That's a massive surprise. I need to get the latest Oppo 205 pronto.... Wonder why they are pulling out - maybe not big enough demand??

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:12 pm

as an owner of a HA1SE it worried me when i read this a few days ago. what if it goes wrong.

Ending the production of their bluray players , will that be good news for the cambridge bluray transport
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano

gary66

Postby gary66 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

I work a lot in China and Oppo mobile phones are absolutely huge there. Adverts everywhere - probably more than Apple and Samsung. They recently bought out a new phone with a lot of new technology which they are clearly pushing hard. Very rarely see much of their other products there though.

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm

The phone business is obviously a lot more lucrative than hifi and av products and hazarding a guess it’s probably a case of allocating resources to maximise returns.