Oppo Pulling Out of AV

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Oppo Pulling Out of AV

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Having just bought a new Panasonic 4K TV I decided to treat myself to an Oppo 4K player. I was shocked when I called the dealer in Ebinburgh to be told Oppo is pulling out of the market to concentrate on their mobile phone operation. First, they have such a huge reputation for their AV kit it was a surprise, and secondly did anyone know Oppo made phones? And that the phone business is so successful they can shut down a very successful AV business.

I Googled for info and sure enough they're closing down, though they'll continue to support existing kit and release firmware updates -
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... e-business. I'm hoping to get the last Oppo UDP 203 from the Edinburgh shop, and at a reduced price because of the circumstances. But what a pity for a great manufacturer to disappear at the height of their success, and not due to market or financial conditions.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > boenicke w11

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Oppo Pulling Out of AV

Postby caine » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:52 pm

I think their AV business is quite small. We are all used to banging around OPPO and other brands. That ain't what 99% of the population buy.
SBT (mod) > TAD D1000 mk.2 > Belles LA01 (gen2) > Marantz MA9S2 > Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Elgar

Postby Elgar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:53 pm

That's a massive surprise. I need to get the latest Oppo 205 pronto.... Wonder why they are pulling out - maybe not big enough demand??

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:12 pm

as an owner of a HA1SE it worried me when i read this a few days ago. what if it goes wrong.

Ending the production of their bluray players , will that be good news for the cambridge bluray transport
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

gary66

Postby gary66 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

I work a lot in China and Oppo mobile phones are absolutely huge there. Adverts everywhere - probably more than Apple and Samsung. They recently bought out a new phone with a lot of new technology which they are clearly pushing hard. Very rarely see much of their other products there though.

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm

The phone business is obviously a lot more lucrative than hifi and av products and hazarding a guess it’s probably a case of allocating resources to maximise returns.