Goodbye to Cyrus (Almost)

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Goodbye to Cyrus (Almost)

Postby SteveC » Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 pm

I haven't posted much on here lately, but thought that those of you who still remember me will be interested to hear that my Cyrus journey, but except for two out of eleven boxes, has come to an end. Paul Hobson at Moorgate is selling them for me and, except for the Stream X Signature, all have now gone. The Stream X Signature saga is quite bizarre and evidences that the thought processes of the hifi buying public know no bounds and will continue to surprise.

As all of us Cyrus owners know, the feet on the units are not at all high-tech. In fact you could get replacements from any good hardware store. Being sticky-backed they can occasionally fall off, and this is what happened to the Stream X Signature sent to one of Moorgate's eBay customers. The customer complained, and was offered a replacement set of feet but, unfortunately, he declined and insisted on returning the unit as 'defective'. Words fail me...

Back to the subject in by hand, I'm taking delivery of a loan set of Bryston 17B3 pre and 4B3 power amp, After having an extended listen, if these sound as good as I think they will, I'll go on ahead and purchase.

Why move from Cyrus? Several reasons; the X300s struggle to drive my speakers adequately, particularly at the bottom end, I'm concerned about reliability, and Bryston have a 20 year warranty. I'm also concerned that Cyrus haven't made any improvements to the top end of their range for some time. Updating firmware is a pain and insistence that everything has to be returned via a dealer drives me mad! That said, I am keeping the Cyrus Phono Signature / PSXr2 and will always retain a fondness for the brand.

I'll let you know how the Bryston trial pans out.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Goodbye to Cyrus (Almost)

Postby caine » Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 am

Has been a long time. Only started visiting regularly again after the new year. Good hearing how your getting on with hifi Steve. You won’t look back with the Bryston. Enjoy
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:25 am

One of the biggest upgrades I have done recently is to a Bryston 4B.
I don't think you'll regret that change.
I think myself from time to time of going 'All Bryston' so I'd love to hear how your trial works out.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri May 11, 2018 7:45 am

Good to hear from you Steve, and I'm sure those Bryston's will be stellar. Looking forward to your thoughts in due course.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Fri May 11, 2018 9:02 am

Good to read you are moving in the right direction.
Brystons are first class.
Like you I havent posted much recently due to health issues over the last 18 months but it came as no surprise to see that nothing has changed at Cyrus.
I only have a Cyrus FMX that gets used occasionally and I would be better to sell it, it takes up so much space.
Let us know how the Brystons work out
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 am

Perhaps we should have an Ex-Cyrusunnofficial forum. The major players are to big, often rude and repeat mantra over and over again ( ok so they are not all bad but.....). There’s a wealth of knowledge out there among ex Cyrus owners.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri May 11, 2018 12:08 pm

No shoeboxes left on the rack here either. Cyrus seem to be moving away from high end and into the lifestyle hi-fi market sadly.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:26 pm

I own 8 Cyrus products which give me great satisfaction. They work well with my Spendor D7’s as I think Steve will confirm BUT, while I’m a fan of the products that I own, I’m not such a fan of the company who I think have lost direction in recent years. They are not keeping up with the market in general with old fashioned displays and DAC’s that are now easily bettered. Cadence is certainly not very slick against much of the competition. AND PLEASE DONT GET ME STARTED ON SOFTWARE UPDATES. No other manufacturer requires a trip to a dealers for a firmware update, Cyrus obviously have poor respect for its customers.
I’m very sad about this state, as I have been a loyal customer since the mid-eighties. I also know Cyrus are capable of producing very fine sounding kit as the current phono-stage demonstrates.
When my kit starts to show unreliability I will also be looking to change just as Steve is doing.
Source:Aries G1,PS Audio NPC Phono
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black,OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
DAC:Chord Qutest,Chord Mojo/Poly
Amplifier:Bryston BP17Cubed/4B3
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:B&W C5v2,OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature spk.
Atlas Mavros XLR x2,Atlas Mavros Ultra,Chord Indigo Plus XLR,DIGITAL Atlas Mavros Ultra x2,Atlas USB.Chord Optichord

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri May 11, 2018 1:34 pm

However much I like Cyrus (and I have no problem with the quality of the audio), it does seem to me that they are being left behind in terms of both serviceability, functionality, and looks.
I too particularly dislike the very old fashioned 'black on green' display, which is hard to read at the best of times, but from my listening position, impossible.

Functionality, especially Cadence, has been criticised in other threads.

Serviceability likewise turns up in other threads - there can't be many other brands that require you to fork out £50+ every so often to have a software update in order to keep up with the latest functions.

Let us hope that the expected product announcement due shortly tackles at least one of these points, though I strongly suspect it's just another mid-range amp, maybe a Cyrus 2 ?
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Left Cyrus years ago for so many reasons but still check on here from time to time as good like minded friends here.

Great to hear from you Steve and looking forward to read your feedback on the new journey :)
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

mauvedipstick15

Postby mauvedipstick15 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:58 pm

I totally changed to a full Bryston set up many years ago and have not looked back,i think you will be happy.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri May 11, 2018 4:32 pm

zippy wrote:Let us hope that the expected product announcement due shortly tackles at least one of these points, though I strongly suspect it's just another mid-range amp, maybe a Cyrus 2 ?

Cyrus One HD. It's a Cyrus One with a DAC.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Good to hear from you all.

The demo kit arrives tomorrow morning. I think that someone from PMC (as distributor) is bringing it. I have had to buy longer legs for the rack, I'd better fit them before he arrives.

I'm looking forward to the change.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

XACITY

Postby XACITY » Sat May 12, 2018 8:05 pm

It's a shame but technically the Cyrus gear has just become so out dated, needing some fresh thinking perhaps a recruit who excels in the latest systems.

Now many music enthusiasts don't just want excellent sound but many want the convenience of modern technology, networking and streaming easily at hand, easily upgradeable. Maybe its even time for a case format change, remove the buttons and replace with a new full screen colour display even on the old cases might work especially now they have gone to the dark side, without adaptation extinction is always a possible outcome. Naim and Linn to naime ;) but two seem to have kept more with current market trends and technology. They are still a good British product but they need a refurbish and to become Great again.

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I received by courier the pre and power amp yesterday. I took me a while to fathom the switch-on quirks and to get it to play. Once the initial hiccups had been overcome I settled in for a good listen. Initially all was a bit brittle and 'glassy'. However, after a couple of hours everything smoothed out and was quite relaxed.

I immediately noticed a greater level of low level detail than I was used to. Comparatively I was struck by the absence of any apparent sonic signature. As the units are now spaced at different distances than previously, my standard 1m interconnects are proving to be a little short. Consequently I only have a £99 Rega RCA connecting my Oppo source to the pre. It's not bad, but I feel there is more to come with a better interconnect. I'll have to rectify this when funds allow. That said, the DAC in the Oppo 205 is exceptional in a £1,399 unit and you get Blu-Ray and CD players for free.