Speaker Cables and XLR

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
madaboutlawns

Speaker Cables and XLR

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 pm

So today I chopped my speaker cables from a tangled 7m down to a neat and tidy 1m each.
I can hear the difference in sound, my wife thinks I've gone mad.

I'm looking for a used pair of 1m cables, preferably 2 pairs so I can bi-wire.
I want some high quality cables, factory terminated would be nice and a bonus.

Also, I can't put the pre amp in the centre just yet, so I'm using 2x 5m cheap xlr cable.
So I would like a quality pair of xlr's but must be 4m or 5m if anybody has some they would like to sell.

Has anybody else noticed any difference with shortening the speaker cables?

Thanks guys.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

Ianmac

Re: Speaker Cables and XLR

Postby Ianmac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 am

I dont have time at the moment for a detailed reply but there are many old posts regarding speaker cable, suggestions on the type of cable to use if bi Wiring and how to make non directional speaker cables.
shttp://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/viewt ... f3#p318187
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 am

madaboutlawns wrote:I can hear the difference in sound, my wife thinks I've gone mad.

You have but don't worry you are in good company in this asylum!
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

mojo

Postby mojo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 pm

madaboutlawns wrote:Has anybody else noticed any difference with shortening the speaker cables?

As above, there's been a lot of threads here about that - and about increasing the speaker cable gauge (within reason) if you're in a situation where you can't make them short. Either is worth doing IMO.

There isn't so much of an argument to make the signal cables ultra-short - especially if you are using XLRs, as they are very good at rejecting noise pickup, nor IMO of going for anything massively expensive - as long as they are good quality you should be fine.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:39 pm

The speaker cable makes more difference thatn any other cable in the system (including XLR and digital cables) IMHO.

A shorter cable is neater so it must sound better?
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:46 pm

Hey,

A small update, I’ve just bi-wired my dali opticon 8’s for the first time. The x300 sig’s have two sets of speaker outputs so it was fairly easy.

Up to now the sound is massively different.
Loads more bass, clarity etc

Again, I was sceptical if there would be any difference.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:44 pm

"Up to now the sound is massively different.
Loads more bass..."

Everyone seems to use speaker cable 'tuning' to increase the bass.
I wonder if anyone has managed to reduce the bass by using specific cables, which is what my system needs ?
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Purely as an experiment, it would be interesting to go the opposite way from the "thicker and shorter" principle that has been advocated by CU members such as IanMac (and me) for years. It would be interesting to buy two 50m reels of the thinnest "bell wire" speaker cable you can find and use one of those per speaker.

I'm guessing that you would experience slightly less impactful bass frequencies, but I've never tried it so I don't know...

[Edit: of course, a heretic would suggest a nice vintage preamp with tone controls - but I'd better not go there!]

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I've just been dipping my toes into the speaker cable thing with £5 and £10 per m cables because I don't know what to expect.

So I've gone from long 7m cambridge audio silver stuff to cutting them down to 1m lengths.
I've heard a big difference in cutting the cables.

So then I decided to dip my toes in and now I've got some Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 that's bi-wired.

The difference is night and day.

I'm really happy with it, not just the bass but the realism, punch, it just sounds a lot better all round.

For a £14 purchase, it's amazing.
Now I might be tempted to go up the ladder a little more with cables and see what happens, I'm sure they'll be a time when changing makes little or no difference.

Also, I've tried the cables in normal stereo not bi-wired config and the difference was good, but only when I bi-wired them did I notice a huge difference.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I've just been dipping my toes into the speaker cable thing with £5 and £10 per m cables because I don't know what to expect.

So I've gone from long 7m cambridge audio silver stuff to cutting them down to 1m lengths.
I've heard a big difference in cutting the cables.

So then I decided to dip my toes in and now I've got some Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 that's bi-wired.

The difference is night and day.

I'm really happy with it, not just the bass but the realism, punch, it just sounds a lot better all round.

For a £14 purchase, it's amazing.
Now I might be tempted to go up the ladder a little more with cables and see what happens, I'm sure they'll be a time when changing makes little or no difference.

Also, I've tried the cables in normal stereo not bi-wired config and the difference was good, but only when I bi-wired them did I notice a huge difference.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Having paid a little attention to the sound of a live band over the weekend.
I've noticed that the drums don't hide away in a quiet corner, the have a big punchy sound from bass to snare to cymbals.
When a cymbal crashes, it fills the room with a big metal crashing sound that rolls off.
The snare is in your face.
The foot bass is big as well.
On most systems I've listened to the drums are muffled in the background somewhere, like somebody put a duvet over them.
I'm listening to U2, Paul Weller and alanis morissette (acoustic version) and at the minute everything sounds great, even bass guitar sounds in the right place.

This is what I've been waiting for, for some time.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:04 am

I suspect you will struggle to get a live drum sound from your system. And that's not to do with any component you have. It's as a result of how the drums are mixed and mastered in the recording.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am

julianh wrote:I suspect you will struggle to get a live drum sound from your system. And that's not to do with any component you have. It's as a result of how the drums are mixed and mastered in the recording.

How are drums mixed live and in a recording? I ask this question after a discussion about using reverb on drums in a live context. Is this normal or was the guy just talking a load of rubbish?

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:28 am

I’ll admit that now i’m down to how good the recording is.
I think its not a million miles away from live.

I can tell that some recordings are a lot better than others. When you get one, things are pretty close.
I’m not easily pleased, but after months if upgrading and tweeking, I can now sit with a big smile and be happy.

Its getting very close to what I can hear live.
Or at least, it’s a lot closer than it has been before.
It’s on the right road, more than anything else i’ve heard.

Might be tempted to get another pair of 300x sigs to bi-amp, but i’d have to listen to what improvements if any it makes before spending on them.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:39 am

madaboutlawns wrote:I’ll admit that now i’m down to how good the recording is.
I think its not a million miles away from live.

I can tell that some recordings are a lot better than others. When you get a good one, things are pretty close.
I’m not easily pleased, but after months if upgrading and tweeking, I can now sit with a big smile and be happy.

Its getting very close to what I can hear live.
Or at least, it’s a lot closer than it has been before.
It’s on the right road, more than anything else i’ve heard.

Might be tempted to get another pair of 300x sigs to bi-amp, but i’d have to listen to what improvements if any it makes before spending on them.
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Dali Opticon 8