StreamX versus Auralic G1

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
zippy
Addicted
Addicted

StreamX versus Auralic G1

Postby zippy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:47 am

There's already been some discussion from those who have chosen to switch from Cyrus to other brands for various reasons.

My position is that because it's on old firmware I can no longer use radio with my StreamX.
I've asked my dealer about a firmware upgrade, and he's given me a (quite high) quote for that, but I mentioned switching to another streamer and he suggested a look/listen to the Auralic Aries G1 (I think the G1 is a new model to replace the old Aries) which will be available in a couple of weeks.

At the risk of starting one of those contentious issues, from your experience of the old Aries, do you believe that will affect the sound quality. (I've personally always thought streamers have no real 'sound signature' ).

A further problem for me is that although I can probably use my Android Bubble app for controlling music streaming, it seems the G1 requires the lightning app for radio, which means more expense as I don't have an ipad (and don't really want one!)

Again for those who've been using the old Aries, are there ways other than Ipad to get radio ? I understand there was at one time an Android app but that's been discontinued ?

Any advice welcome..
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Joe

Re: StreamX versus Auralic G1

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm

I bought the original Aries to replace my Stream X Sig. I was initially really impressed by its transparency and the app is in a different league to Cadence but after a week or two I pulled the Cyrus from sale as on extended listening I found I wasn't enjoying the music as much and found it a tad clinical. I found the Aries mini and Vega with their Sabre chips similar in presentation and not for me. I see you have Bryston and KEF though so maybe you'll like the Auralic house sound which from what I've heard is neutral, detailed and honest. No idea if the new products differ to that.

As you say, differences between streamers are minute. See if you can borrow it for an extended demo.

As for the iPad, I bought a B grade mini 2 exclusively as a Hi-fi remote and it didn't break the bank.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Thanks Joe..
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Went from Cyrus Stream XP2 QX to my current set up in my sig.

I really like the sound of the cyrus streamers. Utility wise, Cyrus is so far behind the curve it’s rediculous, and dealer only updates........

I agree with comment above, the Aries is probably a bit more clinical than Cyrus. I changed everything at once so difficult to be that precise. Lightening app is much better than cadence, can run from iPhone too, you don’t have to have an iPad, just iOS device. Auralic are still updating the original Aries firmware, even though they no longer sell it, so support is pretty good so far.

In the price range you are looking at there is a lot of choice. I haven’t heard the G1 myself, but I have heard Melco and they are definitely worth considering, and use bubble too!

I don’t really use radio so can’t comment on that. There are lots of ways to get radio through your speakers though, and without spending this kind of money.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Decision made (probably).
I'm a bit worried by the thought that the Aries is 'clinical'. As mentioned above my system tends towards clinical anyway and currently the balance is about right (apart from bass but that's another story) so sounds like the Aries might unbalance it too much that way.
I also have no Apple devices in the house, and the Aries seems to be biased towards them.

I think I'll bite the bullet and have the StreamX firmware updated, use Cadence only for radio, and carry on using Bubble for the music.

Thanks.

Joe

Postby Joe » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:40 pm

We're talking minuscule differences in sound that you might not even notice. If you have a dealer willing to home demo then do it. I have nothing but praise for the sound of Cyrus streamers but they're a dinosaur in form and function compared to the competition and the UI is a big part of streaming.

If not then yeah, save your money.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Postby wyjsar » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:55 pm

If two streamers deliver bit perfect data then swapping out one for another will not make a jot of difference to SQ. You're paying for convenience, compatibility, UI etc.
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
Sony Xperia X -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature / AKG N60NC wireless

Cootie

Postby Cootie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:23 am

I wouldn’t describe the Aries or Aries Mini as clinical and I’ve got both. Whether that’s influenced in my system by them being plugged into an Auralic Vega DAC, which has a class A output I don’t know. I would say though that the difference in sound quality is pronounced. The full fat Aries is smoother with much greater ability to hear into the different layers of the music and just sounds much more natural. My wife and a number of my friends who are also hifi geeks agree. That being said I’d happily recommend either as excellent value for money, albeit with the caveat that they are iOS only so won’t suit everyone.

Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Different rooms, different systems, different ears. It's all subjective.

Digital sources do sound different to each other but less so than any other type of component (excluding cables).

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 pm

D'oh - I remembered I still had my old NP30 in the cupboard.

I've hooked that up to the system, and it gives me better radio access than my Cyrus used to, via a remote
(and for radio 3 at least, the sound quality is just as good)
Problem solved for now...

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Postby wyjsar » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Joe wrote:Different rooms, different systems, different ears. It's all subjective.

Digital sources do sound different to each other but less so than any other type of component (excluding cables).

If both output the same bit perfect data (which is how they should be designed) then they will sound the same. If one or both or the devices under comparison do not output bit perfect data then they will sound different (tbh there would be a lot of white noise, dropouts etc).
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
Sony Xperia X -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature / AKG N60NC wireless

Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:38 pm

There are articles out there explaining why that’s not true, jitter, RFI etc (yawn) but it’s one of those things that you won’t believe until you hear it.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 pm

slightly aside
i ran my stream x2 on a sonority roller platform for 4 days.
Over kill i know but it sounded better than i thought possible.
There are other ways to improve streamers, power supply etc..
Infact the ones judged to sound better might just be doing those things better
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:16 pm

zippy wrote:D'oh - I remembered I still had my old NP30 in the cupboard.

I've hooked that up to the system, and it gives me better radio access than my Cyrus used to, via a remote
(and for radio 3 at least, the sound quality is just as good)
Problem solved for now...

And I believe you have found the best solution for the radio problem, and saved yourself the best part of £2k in the process, what’s not to like?
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello
I have used various streamers
Some conclusions :
1. Yeah .. but perfect copies , bits etc should be the arguments that should make all streamers sound alike ..
so have a go , and see if hifi is about sheer data ( and again if bits are bits , plug any computer and you should get the same end product)
2. Auralic products seem to be quite clinical , and may be less fun ..
3. The G1 can be good to use , that's for sure ..

YOUR EARS will decide ..that's reality