Roon Musings

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Re: Roon Musings

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:56 pm

It was the i5 NUC listed on the Roon site I was going to get. Probably 8 GB of RAM. I was aware not all PC's were supported but I thought all the NUC versions were. Thanks for the heads up Simon.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Postby wyjsar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Must be 4 or 5 years old now Richard (or certainly seems like it). It's an I3-4010u running W7 professional. Mainly used for music duties, occasionally for video.
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
Sony Xperia X -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature / AKG N60NC wireless

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 am

wyjsar wrote:Must be 4 or 5 years old now Richard (or certainly seems like it). It's an I3-4010u running W7 professional. Mainly used for music duties, occasionally for video.

Thank you John. That's the beauty of having a generic PC, you can use it for several duties. I would have gone down that route too possibly, but with both an Oppo and Apple Fire TV, I have video streaming covered. I'll use the NUC as a dedicated Roon Core, and using the free Roon OS has the advantage of being an optimised Linux distribution so rock solid, and not needing any maintenance (I hope). I'll let you know how that goes if I go down this route!
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

Rune

Postby Rune » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm

SimonJ wrote:Please note that Roon will only support certain versions of a NUC

It might work on others but if you upgrade the Roon software and it stops working you are on your own

Did you change to a NUC? My DeskMini still runs ROCK without any issues.
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

Rune

Postby Rune » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:46 pm

If network infrastructure in the house allows it I would recommend just putting the Roon Core next to the Router especially if it is in another room then it is not nessesary to spend a fortune on a silent NUC or PC and then using a RPI as a bridge connected to the DAC.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 am

Rune wrote:If network infrastructure in the house allows it I would recommend just putting the Roon Core next to the Router especially if it is in another room then it is not nessesary to spend a fortune on a silent NUC or PC and then using a RPI as a bridge connected to the DAC.

The plan is a standard NUC in the study as the Core. I'll use my Oppo in the lounge as the end-point to connect to the DAC.

Then I might look at the Raspberry Pi to be the end-point in the lounge instead of the Oppo.

Roon recommend an i3 for small/medium library, then i7 for a very large library or DSD processing. Is there any benefit to be had in going the middle ground, an i5, or is that more powerful than required for the small library, and not powerful enough to do the DSD processing? Is there any benefit in going 8GB over 4GB, or again does that only make a difference for big libraries or when number-crunching DSD streams?

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:58 am

Rune wrote:

It might work on others but if you upgrade the Roon software and it stops working you are on your own

Yes I did as after an update mine failed even a complete reinstall did not fix it
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:00 am

RichardLowe wrote:
Rune wrote:If network infrastructure in the house allows it I would recommend just putting the Roon Core next to the Router especially if it is in another room then it is not nessesary to spend a fortune on a silent NUC or PC and then using a RPI as a bridge connected to the DAC.

The plan is a standard NUC in the study as the Core. I'll use my Oppo in the lounge as the end-point to connect to the DAC.

Then I might look at the Raspberry Pi to be the end-point in the lounge instead of the Oppo.

Roon recommend an i3 for small/medium library, then i7 for a very large library or DSD processing. Is there any benefit to be had in going the middle ground, an i5, or is that more powerful than required for the small library, and not powerful enough to do the DSD processing? Is there any benefit in going 8GB over 4GB, or again does that only make a difference for big libraries or when number-crunching DSD streams?

I pondered over this and went for i5 8 GB as decided I did not want any slow response etc
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028

Rune

Postby Rune » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:24 am

SimonJ wrote:
Rune wrote:

Yes I did as after an update mine failed even a complete reinstall did not fix it

Sorry to hear that, is was after all my recommendation. But mine has been rock solid.
At the moment I am playing with upsampling to DSD512 to an Pro-Ject S2 digital. It works reliably.

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:16 am

Rune wrote:
SimonJ wrote:
Rune wrote:Did you change to a NUC? My DeskMini still runs ROCK without any issues.

Sorry to hear that, is was after all my recommendation. But mine has been rock solid.
At the moment I am playing with upsampling to DSD512 to an Pro-Ject S2 digital. It works reliably.

Hey not your fault glad DSD working I must try that

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:10 pm

My impression of Roon is that there's an awful lot of messing about involved for little gain over other simpler configurations.

Comment ?
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 pm

I spent no more than 30 minutes installing Roon on my desktop PC, pointing the installation at my library, and installing the Roon remote on my phone. I found it very straightforward. Admittedly I come at it from an IT background, I'm a server admin with a fair amount of networking knowledge, but I thought non-IT people wouldn't have too many problems. The "hard" part is if you go down the route of building your own cores and end-points. The Roon software itself is very easy to use, but like anything new takes some time to find where everything is, and get to grips with all the bells and whistles.

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about but Aurender don't support it. Even then I think it's aimed at users with multiple playback devices and perhaps music stored in different places too. Aurender's app does everything I need anyway.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

Rune

Postby Rune » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:14 pm

That is easy to answer the UI and user experience is second to none!

It works on both ios, android, windows and osx.
You can run Roon on cheap DIY streamers and DIY servers/computer.
Or just buy a fan less plug and play Roon Nucleus server/streamer. (The DIY route is also pretty much plug and play if you are a bit technical)

Beside the UI Roon can do the first unfold on MQA files, Upsample the highest bit rate your DAC support. Room Correction.
stream to Chrome Cast devices, squeezebox, sonos, airplay devices and of course those that supports Roons native RAAT protocol.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 am

OK, stupid me! I've been digging a little more into the Roon options and can see the higher spec CPU/memory isn't just for DSD number crunching as I'd thought. Its also required for sound EQ (if you care to use it), room correction features, and several others that require a bit of processing grunt.

Rune, Simon, have you any experience of i5 or i7 for all the different processing options? If I'm going down the Roon route I may as well get it right first time. I'd rather not spend the extra on an i7 if I can avoid it, but I'd also like to future proof the investment should I start to use more of the processing-heavy options.