Roon Musings

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Re: Roon Musings

Postby RichardLowe » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:28 am

Now the Roon Core is built I'm considering the Roon End-point. I'm using my Oppo 203 4K player as the End-point, connected to my Primare Streamer/DAC via a digital coax. Prior to this I used a network connection into my Primare Streamer/DAC so the tracks were taken direct from the NAS, via a Netgear switch, across the network. Can't say I hear any difference, though I initially thought the Oppo route sounded slightly more detailed, but I need to do a lot more A/B listening to see if there is. To complicate comparison, the volume levels are slightly different between the two methods, and that always makes things difficult to unpick. Another option I have is to get a dedicated End-point like the Raspberry Pi and connect that to my Primare via USB. I know Simon is using a Pi with I2S output but I don't have an I2S input so that won't work. Does anyone use the Pi with USB out, and have they compared against different End-points for sound quality? I'm tempted just to stop where I am, though having to have the Oppo switched on in order to listen to music via Roon niggles at my OCD! Ideally I'd like an "always on" solution like the Pi that just sits there all the time.

Anyway, Roon is superb, I had a blast last night letting Roon Radio queue up an electronic music-fest for me. I re-found some tracks I'd not played in years. If you have a laptop or desktop in the house you can install the Roon software to demo it before going down a dedicated Roon Core route. For those who don't care about having to have their computer switched on, connected to the network and running Roon in order to use it, you need never go down the dedicated Core route. Evangelical sales pitch over, I don't even have shares!!
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

Rune

Postby Rune » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 am

You should try a pi especially when your DAC has USB input.
USB supports higher bit rates than I2S.
I have used a PI for a long time. But are currently using a beta version of this in a less sexy case 8) .
https://www.eisa.eu/awards/pro-ject-stream-box-s2-ultra/
Source: Asrock DeskMini i5-7600 as RoonCore, LakeWest MiniStreamer
DAC: Pro-Ject pre box S2 DAC
Integrated Amp: Gryphon Diable 300
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: Isotek Evo3 Sigmas, ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:17 am

I had a look at the Roon DSP option last night. Very interesting. For audiophiles who cherish not having tone controls in case they "pollute" the signal path and alter the original recording on the way to the speakers, its the ideal dirty pleasure! All the processing is done in software before it reaches your amps so you can tinker to your hearts content and always revert to the original whenever you like.

I found it particularly good for those recordings that seem unbalanced - bass that swamps the mid-range or treble that becomes very harsh as the volume increases for example. These tracks had to be kept at lower volume without EQ to prevent the bass or treble completely dominating, or in the case of harsh treble, my ears from bleeding. A variety of low-pass, band-pass and high-pass filters makes for interesting EQ graphs, any of which you can save as a preset for next time.

This leads to the next obvious tool in the Roon box to play with, room compensation. Some of the bass or treble dominance may be in my listening room so it would be interesting to get a good mike in and test it. Does anyone have any experience of using Roon for room measurements and compensation?
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:01 pm

Got waylaid over the last few months. Seen the prices had dropped for i7 nuc and got it built and setup. Impressed with ROCK. Great having a dedicated solution. Now starting to think about streamers at the moment. On the radar is Lumin U1 mini
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Rune

Postby Rune » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 am

Caine you could also consider this:
https://stackaudio.co.uk/link/
https://darko.audio/2018/12/stack-audio-announce-the-link-a-streamer-with-surprises/

It is based on the same streamer design that Pro-Ject is using for their S2 Ultra and the same OEM version of Volumio that is also RoonReady.
I have been using a beta version of the streamer since April last year to test the Software. Mine is not in a sexy chassis.
Source: Asrock DeskMini i5-7600 as RoonCore, LakeWest MiniStreamer
DAC: Pro-Ject pre box S2 DAC
Integrated Amp: Gryphon Diable 300
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: Isotek Evo3 Sigmas, ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub