regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

NAS Advice

Postby phlppip » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 am

Good afternoon all

I am after a bit of advice.

I am looking at upgrading my NAS from a Synology DS216SE to a DS218Play to move to something a bit faster, my question is, can I move my current 2 x 3TB hard drives straight across to the new enclosure without loosing any of my files?

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Re: NAS Advice

Postby julianh » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Philip,

See this article --> https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledg ... _and_later

I seem to recall that's what I did when I moved between different Synology NAS a number of years ago.

But, as ever, make sure you have a backup of your data before you do this. Just in case.

Julian
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:56 pm

You should consider your current procedure for backup of these files. Mechanical hard drives are by far the least reliable components in a computer. How easily could you replace the files if you did lose them? It might be preferable, depending on the circumstances, to use new drives and keep the old ones for backups.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:06 am

You don’t mention exactly what you need the NAS to do, but I would suggest the move from 216se to 218 play will not really add much to your NAS setup. Although the play series are touted for transcoding, I’ve bever used NAS for this, I tend to leave that to the end device anyway. For a real jump that you will notice, I think you may have to look higher up the ranges
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:06 am

Thank you all.

NAS ordered, I only use it for music, and yes it is in Raid 1 configuration with another 2 backups one of which is off site.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 am

In that case, there’s absolutely no benefit whatsoever in the move you are making.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:27 am

Possibly another contentious issue but yes, I happen to believe (as an ex-PC technician) that even the most humble laptop, PC, or NAS is fully capable of performing the job of audio server, and a faster unit, faster drives etc will make no difference at all, so I agree with Attonine.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 am

zippy wrote:Possibly another contentious issue but yes, I happen to believe (as an ex-PC technician) that even the most humble laptop, PC, or NAS is fully capable of performing the job of audio server, and a faster unit, faster drives etc will make no difference at all, so I agree with Attonine.

My experience of my own NAS is that as my music library has grown in size, the time it takes to re-index that library, and to browse the folders takes longer. That results in a slight delay in the track listings being served up to my streamer, having to wait for the tracks to appear, and then the artwork to display, before I can select a track to play. So I think there is a time at which the spec of a NAS can become an issue. I'm looking to replace my mechanical hard drives with SSD's to get round the slowing performance on my own.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:48 am

And this is exactly the issue I am facing. Along with long file transfer times as it is so slow.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:52 am

RichardLowe wrote:
zippy wrote:Possibly another contentious issue but yes, I happen to believe (as an ex-PC technician) that even the most humble laptop, PC, or NAS is fully capable of performing the job of audio server, and a faster unit, faster drives etc will make no difference at all, so I agree with Attonine.

My experience of my own NAS is that as my music library has grown in size, the time it takes to re-index that library, and to browse the folders takes longer. That results in a slight delay in the track listings being served up to my streamer, having to wait for the tracks to appear, and then the artwork to display, before I can select a track to play. So I think there is a time at which the spec of a NAS can become an issue. I'm looking to replace my mechanical hard drives with SSD's to get round the slowing performance on my own.

There are way too many variables here, and Im sure what you are describing is what you experience. I run 2 Synology 4 bay 8TB devices, in the Synology Smart RAID 5 thing. Same model but 2 yrs apart (something like 413j and 214j?). 99.9% used for media storage for streaming (video and audio) to a variety of devices, only lag to notice is when the discs spin up after the devices have been left to sleep, otherwise its all pretty much instant.

For the OP, he really needs to consider a bigger step up from the 216se to get any real benefit, 216se to 218play is not a significant jump, imho. File transfer will be dependant upon the network topology, speed/traffic as much as the I/O of the NAS. For these ranges of Synology NAS, the pretty low consumer ranges, nothing is particularly fast, if you want to speed it up, you need to spend £££

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 pm

There are way too many variables here, and Im sure what you are describing is what you experience. I run 2 Synology 4 bay 8TB devices, in the Synology Smart RAID 5 thing. Same model but 2 yrs apart (something like 413j and 214j?). 99.9% used for media storage for streaming (video and audio) to a variety of devices, only lag to notice is when the discs spin up after the devices have been left to sleep, otherwise its all pretty much instant.

For the OP, he really needs to consider a bigger step up from the 216se to get any real benefit, 216se to 218play is not a significant jump, imho. File transfer will be dependant upon the network topology, speed/traffic as much as the I/O of the NAS. For these ranges of Synology NAS, the pretty low consumer ranges, nothing is particularly fast, if you want to speed it up, you need to spend £££

My NAS is a Buffalo from 8 years back with mechanical hard drives of that era. Its spec compared to any of the Synology NAS drives of that time was pretty low. So, although the spec of both your NAS drives is sufficient for the tasks and library you have, my Buffalo has grown increasingly slow in indexing and serving up tracks/art work over time. Its been a progressive thing, gradually becoming more noticeable as the number of tracks has gown. The only things that have changed are occasional firmware updates (the last was to fix a SMB security flaw) and the quadrupling in size of my library. The transfer rate of data to/from the NAS hasn't changed, and the NAS is connected via the same switch to the streamer, so logically the delays in indexing and track listing would appear to be due to a lack of access speed and/or processing power with the NAS.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes, 8 years is a long time in tech, I’m guessing your device probably has an anaemic amount of RAM like all consumer NAS devices, even today, and what is considered minimal I/O performance has increased massively over this period. Jumping to a 2018 model should show some advances in this case.

Consumer NAS boxes are pretty low specced across the board. There is a massive price increase when you start to look at models aimed for business use - with the faster and bigger spec numbers.

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Mine is connected to a zytel gigabit network switch and BT Smarthub router, with Supra Ethernet cables all round.

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm

ok well, it arrived, I have migrated the hard drives and it is up and running, and I am afraid to say that it is much faster in very way:

Boot up
Transferring files
connecting to cadence
indexing

so all in all a worth while change for what I required.

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Ram it up. My DS1515+ had a max of 8gb, got 16gb in it no probs been stable ever since.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.