Postby up4hours » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello & thanks for reading :)

My current system comprises:-

Cyrus IIIi - Integrated amplifier
Cyrus PSX-R - Power supply
Arcam rPhono - Phono stage
Rega RP6 - Turntable
B&W CDM1 SE - Speakers

I would like to improve/upgrade my system and would very much appreciate any advice. My budget is around £500 :D

I intend to eventually replace the IIIi &PSX-R with a NAIM Uniti Atom (or similar) but in the meantime I would like to explore other "Cyrus" options.

OPTION 1. My initial thoughts were to add a Cyrus Power (stereo/mono) Monobloc amp (just one in "stereo"), Smartpower or X Power. I can pick one up on eBay for approx. £200 - £500. Would I see much improvement in doing this? Also would the PSX-R be required in this set up and if so, would I need to buy an additional PSX-R for the power amp?

OPTION 2. Simply upgrade the integrated amp. Something like the Cyrus 6XP, 8vs2, 8a etc. Would there be much improvement vs cost in doing this also are the newer amps compatible with the PSX-R or would I need to buy the PSX-R2?

OPTION 3. Replace the integrated solution with a "pre & power" solution. I have seen a Cyrus Pre vs2 and Cyrus X Power for around £500. Same question here, would this be a good upgrade and could I use the PSX-R in this set up?

Thank you in advance for any help & advice! It's getting harder to get clear and honest "Cyrus" advice from dealers as I guess they are so focussed in getting you to purchase the latest and new kit.

Regards

Adam

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Cyrus IIIi & PSX-R Upgrade Path Options - Help Please

Postby angelface » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I had a prevs2 with 2 smart powers and it did sound good with my B&W 602 S3s but I understand the sound is very different to a Cyrus III integrated amp. If you go further up Cyrus ladder, you would probably do better to invest in some better speakers.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

border

Postby border » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 pm

If you like the sound of the IIIi then any changes that move away from it could leave you disappointed.
I had a III bi amped with an older cyrus xpa power amp and loved the sound.
When I "upgraded" I had to try many configurations before I found a sound that I liked as much.
I ended up with an 8DAC bi amped with a 6 power and I think that I have got back what I had lost.
Either that or I have forgotten what my old system sounded like and like this one just as much.
Good luck with your search.

up4hours
One+

Postby up4hours » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the advice Border & Angelface :D

Regards the speakers, I have tried them through my Uncle's (much higher end) Naim system (he wanted to hear them just out of curiosity) and they sounded very nice. I guess I will upgrade them next but I can't afford to do them at the same time.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Had an 8XPD and in retrospect it was the best value Cyrus amp I owned. Very enjoyable but I couldn't say how much better than a idiot it would be