Is the dac xp sig a massive upgrade?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
pump22

Is the dac xp sig a massive upgrade?

Postby pump22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if the dac xp sig is a big upgrade to the dax xp+?

Not really got any problems with what I've got, but you know how it is.... we all want to upgrade after a few years! And, the wife won't realise as it's the same box but with a little signature at the top, so happy days!
Cyrus XT Sig / DAC Xp+ &  Psx-r2 / Nord 1up Mono / Pro-Ject Classic / Gamut L3.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Is the dac xp sig a massive upgrade?

Postby zippy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am

IMHO, No - the improvement is small - still worth doing if you have the spare cash.
A PSX2 power supply the same - small improvement.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

pump22

Postby pump22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 am

I have the psx-r2 connected to my dac already, so I could use that.

I'd need to sell a few bits firstly, so waiting to sign up on here as last time I used the site (many years ago), you could sell things below the 100 posts. Paying the £10 will sort that out though.

What prices do you think a smooth dax xp+, 8 dac qx and a smooth psx-r would go for on here?

Sorry if I am breaking any rules as I am waiting for signing up a years subscription, but just after prices etc for a later date.

Phil

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:42 pm

I found the price to upgrade from DACP+ to DACXP Signature too big so went down the Bel Canto route.

After two years very happy with DAC3VB i found a 3.7 at a bargain price.

I would consider Chord DACs especially if you really need a USB connexion.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

pump22

Postby pump22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Does the Bel Canto have a pre amp built into it or does it act as one?

I used to have a pre 3 ages ago and liked the sound, smooth with authority.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 pm

bel canto dacs DO not sound good as pre amps , even though bel canto like to push them in that role . a decent pre amp will thrash it for musicality

i have 4 pre amps at the moment having had many of them , i just love the bel canto pre 3 , the vbs version is much better than the standard mains one and i use it daily into a very high end msb amp

also have a schiit saga [360 pounds ] and schiit freya [725 pounds ] which are absolutely stonking pre amps . they can be used as passive or valve mode. they are achieving very high reputation .

am i right in thinking you live in bromsgrove ? i could bring the saga over one day for a listen if thats the case one day . always love listening the gamut , i remember when you got the gamut
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:37 am

bottom prices for your 3 items
200 for psxr
700 each for other two

i’d be tempted to look at speakers instead, you might find something your other half prefers

An upgrade - why not get a home demo for a week and find out?
The sig has a much more modern dac and upgraded xlr outputs, like all hifi , the improvement is subjective
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

pump22

Postby pump22 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:01 am

I was thinking about the 725 mark for the 2 items and about 210 for the other.

The missus loves the speakers and the look / sound of them. Also, to get something better, I would need to spend a lot more as they are about £4.5k.

Yes, over in Bromsgrove, so you are welcome across sometime to hear them and talk shop about HIFI.

Never thought about a separate pre and dac, but that might be a better way of doing it to get a better smooth sound.

What pre amps and dacs are out there to give a better sound for about £1600 pounds??

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 am

Bel Canto Dacs do have a built in pre that you can bypass. As hifinut says a separate pre does sound better.

For that budget you could get a DAC3VB for 500 (that is what I sold mine for) and a PRE3VB for 600 (ditto). I am asking 500 for my VBS if that helps. IMHO this was better than DACXP+ with PSXR.

You may be able to get a more recent DAC if you buy a cheaper pre or are prepared to live with it until you can afford a separate pre.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5