Time to ponder

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
johnandvirginia

Time to ponder

Postby johnandvirginia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:02 pm

A pulled leg muscle has given me lots of time to listen to my system - but also to consider the bad choices that I have made. (Haven't we all?!)
My bad choice came when I thought I would downsize. I began by selling off (not easy!) my Bel Canto Pre-amp. I then bought a Bel Canto C7-R with the intention of using this alone with my Naim ND5 XS streamer. This left me the Bel Canto Dac and VBS to get rid of. No chance! Eventually I decided to part exchange the Naim and the two Bel Canto items for a Naim Nac N 272 Pre-amp streamer. All good so far. But now I have a BC C7-R attached to my Naim Pre-amp merely to provide a phono stage and FM radio. So my plan is to make use of the iRadio in the Naim and to buy a phono stage.
Thus I can sell the Bel Canto C7-R.
But, I thought, wouldn"t the Bel Canto make a perfect little system in my office/music room. This room, 3.5 metres X 2.5 metres holds my piano and a desk with Mac computer. So this means I can plug the Mac into the Bel Canto (USB??) and have music in my office. All I now need is a pair of speakers.
I should be most grateful for any suggestions as to some reasonably priced and preferably very small speakers that I could use with my New system!!!!
Many thanks in advance.

MiniCoupeman

Re: Time to ponder

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:59 pm

AE1 latest incarnation.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 am

ah thanks for posting thread . hope your leg gets better . it is very hard selling anything these days and bel canto dacs are no exception sadly . i gave up trying mine and its doing wonderful service in my main system now .

your bel canto pre amp continues to do excellent service and i am just this last few days comparing to a schiit freya pre amp which is amazing vfm [ i already have a saga pre amp 320 pounds ] . the freya is marginally more transparent but it does not have the many advantages of the bc pre , i.e remembering volumes , superb remote , htb etc. its a shame they stopped making them

anyway , great idea to get some speakers . the q acoustics range always sound good and are superb vfm , if you have loads of money then the harbeth p3 esr is the rolls royce speaker at about 1k s/h

and probably too big but after months we have finally persuaded this chap to list his beautiful b&w 705s2 at 1100 quid and they would be just magnificent , i have heard them

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... ds.213389/
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:32 am

OK. Too short a post. My system is in a room very similar in size to yours. I used PMC 21's successfully and now AE1's (better IMO) The issue is bass output. Most (all?) floorstanders give to much which sets up standing waves that overwhelm the room. Some Stand Mounts will do the same, broadly speaking the smaller speakers the better in a room that size. As posted VERY OFTEN on this forum, speakers are a very personal thing (I wouldn't give B&W's house room even if they were given to me but hey....) and a demo in room is always advisable.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:25 pm

ha , yes speakers are very personal , i feel the same way about pmc as you do about b&w !!!
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns