Upgrade advice

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
frazzle
Five+

Upgrade advice

Postby frazzle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 am

So I have a Cyrus 8a with a PSXR driving B&W CM8 S2 speakers. The source is a Cambridge np30 streamer running either flac files from a Nas but more increasingly just streaming from Spotify.

I'm wondering what the next best upgrade would be. I could send either the amp or the power supply to Cyrus to upgrade them to an 8dac or a psxr2, or I could replace the streamer - which does seem the most expensive route.

Any advice on what may be the biggest bang for buck?

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Upgrade advice

Postby zippy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am

I still have my old NP30, which I upgraded to a StreamX (only to match the rest of the hifi).
There's very little difference between them in sound quality, and the Cyrus is a much bigger 'maintenance' overhead (e.g. having to take back to dealer for firmware updates).
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:57 am

zippy wrote:I still have my old NP30, which I upgraded to a StreamX (only to match the rest of the hifi).
There's very little difference between them in sound quality, and the Cyrus is a much bigger 'maintenance' overhead (e.g. having to take back to dealer for firmware updates).

By the way, I suggest don't ever use the NP30 option to allow it to act also as volume control - I found that really killed the sound and much better to have a separate PRE, and even better a DAC/PRE.
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

frazzle
Five+

Postby frazzle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:05 am

zippy wrote:
zippy wrote:I still have my old NP30, which I upgraded to a StreamX (only to match the rest of the hifi).

By the way, I suggest don't ever use the NP30 option to allow it to act also as volume control - I found that really killed the sound and much better to have a separate PRE, and even better a DAC/PRE.

Thanks. I think that's where I'm unsure - where best to invest next. Do I upgrade the 8a to include the dac? Do I buy a separate dac and keep the np30 as a source? No idea really, probably because I don't understand enough about dacs. Or do I add add power or pre amp - I'm not even sure if I can!

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Definitely no the psxr2 upgrade. it makes a slight difference but only on top end gear IMO. The psxr is perfectly adequate.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:39 pm

mickbald wrote:Definitely no the psxr2 upgrade. it makes a slight difference but only on top end gear IMO. The psxr is perfectly adequate.

I agree with that.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:28 pm

always good to upgrade the amp , those b&w are lovely . you could stay with cyrus and go pre power or change to a beautiful integrated of which there are so many

of course the rotel 1572 and 1592are an absolute beauty and they match B&w nicely . very good reviews

vincent make some superb amplifiers at real world money and you can try them at home

this one well worth a try . both of these may outdo the 8a i think

https://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-l ... 237mk.html
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

BB Wan
Five+

Postby BB Wan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Totally agree with the others, the PSX-R upgrade will probably yield the least improvement (in this context). Also, not sure that the 82DAC upgrade from the 8a (which is already a cracking little amp) is where I'd spend my money (£595 nowadays). Think I'd look to add a nice Chord DAC from the Qute range (s/h or exdem), to improve the NP30.
Then you can start thinking about changing to a Pre/Power combo to get some extra power/current up those fantastic CM8s, I found they liked it.
Gyro SE / Illustrious/ Kontrapunkt b
Stream X2
Phono Signature/PSX-R2
DAC XP Signature
Mono Xs
Monitor Audio PL200
BK XLS200 (pair)