Hello! Newbie first post upgrade advice

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
ruscoid
One+

Hello! Newbie first post upgrade advice

Postby ruscoid » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello all,

As a brand new Cyrus owner (by accident!), I would appreciate some advice please.

I listen to all types of music from classical to jazz to R&B to dance, favoring clean, transparent and open sound (and lovely midrange for life-like vocals) over warmth and chest-thumping bass: I like to hear ride cymbals ting, the breathinesss of vocals etc.

Following a house move, I've fallen back into building a nice hi-fi, treating myself a little. As you will see, my system is a real mix and match but a couple of s/hand Cyrus bargains are swaying me to consider going for an entire Cyrus system.

Current system:
Cyrus cd-t
Audiolab M-Dac+ (connected via Chord XLR's)
Cambridge Audio 851E pre-amp (via Chord XLR's)
Cambridge Audio 851W power amp (via Chord XLR's)
KEF Reference 3 floor standers (with Chord Co. Rumor cable)

Last week I picked up a Cyrus Power amp and PSX-R for the bargain price (?) of £250 the pair, fully working, a price that I couldn't turn down. I have temporarily swapped out the 851W (a huge a very lovely Class XD power amp, retailing at £1800) for this cheap two-box Cyrus combo (still using the Cambridge 851E as the pre-amp), expecting to be quite underwhelmed...but to my surprise I wasn't! Sure, the 851W has more clout and a touch more depth and breadth of soundstage, but it's not a night and day difference...especially considering the respective financial outlay.

On this note, I would appreciate your advice as to how this older Cyrus amp is regarded? How would it compare to newer Cyrus power amps - or even the latest stereo amps (such as the 200, etc). Can this Power amp be upgraded (beyond the PSXR I currently have connected to it) in order to match that slightly more open sound of the 851W that is currently lacking?

To make matters more confusing, I am also considering adding a streamer to my system: the Cambridge Audio (circa £700) has up until this week been an obvious option, but I have seen a couple of Cyrus Stream XP2 QX's for sale for around the £1000 mark. My thinking is that I can use the XP2 QX to replace the current 851E pre-amp - and also possibly the Audiolab M-Dac+ - and thus end up with a complete Cyrus system, for aesthetics, ease of use, synergy etc etc. Selling the none-Cyrus gear that I have would comfortably allow me to go this 100% Cyrus route without any financial outlay. But is this the best way to go? How will the Audiolab M-Dac+ fare against the DAC in the Cyrus Stream XP2 QX? If virtually identical, there is a further circa £650 revenue form the sale of the M-Dac+ (which goes a long way to paying for the Cyrus Stream XP2 QX...)

I'm also receptive to suggestions for a straight-forward Cyrus pre-amp for now to replace my 851E as I know that the Cyrus streamers don't always favor wonderfully alongside other non-Cyrus streamers...maybe something I could revisit in the future...

See my dilemma...?! ;-)

I do appreciate that auditioning equipment at home is always essential, but does my one-stop Cyrus system make sense? And what am I missing / nit considering from the above? Are there, for example, cracking s/hand value Cyrus options that I have over-looked in my above thoughts? I don't mind buying s/hand at all, nor do I mind the odd cosmetic mark here and there: it will only sit in a rack and be listened to after all...

Really appreciating your input with this, my first post.

Many thanks!

BB Wan
Five+

Re: Hello! Newbie first post upgrade advice

Postby BB Wan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Firstly, welcome Ruscoid.
Secondly, wow! Quite the dilemma.

I guess it really comes down to whether you want to go down the all-Cyrus route or not. I've recently done something very similar to you. I picked up a bargain power amp (8 Power) in my case and it's all snowballed from there. Cyrus represents excellent vfm imho and as you've found there's some bargains to be had too. If you do decide to go down the all-Cyrus route, and hence selling you CA gear and M-Dac, you could get a Stream X2 and DAC XP+ to partner your Power/PSXR which would certainly make for a nice front end. I've no idea what the CA streamers you mentioned are like, but the Cyrus running latest software is actually pretty good! You could always cash in on the bargain Power (stick the PSXR on the DAC XP+) and get an X-Power or better still the APA7.5 monos that are currently being advertised in the Private Classifieds on this very forum (I have no affiliation with the seller), then you'd really be cooking and your lovely speakers would surely thank you for it too.
I have to say, the ease of use of an all-Cyrus system is very attractive (to me at least) too.
Gyro SE / Illustrious/ Kontrapunkt b
Stream X2
Phono Signature/PSX-R2
DAC XP Signature
Mono Xs
Monitor Audio PL200
BK XLS200 (pair)

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 pm

It was a strong pull on me, to buy all the system in one make.
I guess I just like collecting things.
I'm really happy with my system and don't regret buying any of it.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:24 pm

I had a Stream XP2 QX and I liked it. I like the Cyrus streamer sound. I don’t like how limited the streamers are feature wise when compared to almost all other offerings in the market. This is a market segment that is not just moving fast, but sprinting ahead. Media formats, streaming services, Roon etc are changing the playing field almost daily, and Cyrus Stremers just haven’t kept up. The QX DAC module is very old in DAC terms nowadays and can be easily bettered for very very little money. I had problems streaming 24 bit HD tracks wirelessly. The device only has a very old WiFi protocol (g?) and really struggled with with the HD tracks, hard wired is no problem though.

If you must have a Cyrus box then fine, I am sure you will have 100s of hours of pleasure listening to it, as I stated in my first sentence, I really like the sound of this streamer. Be aware if it’s limitations before dropping that kind of money though.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

My first streamer was a Cambridge Audio CXN v1.
It was OK, nothing like as good as the reviews that it was getting in the magazines.
It was useful as a pre amp and also it did have XLR connections.

In sound terms.
When I put it next to my xp2 sig there's no comparison, the Cyrus blows it clean out of the water.
To the point that the cxn has been sold, I won't even use it in a spare system.

Goes to show that it's not always features that win the day.
Although my xp2 sig isn't lacking in any features.
I find it good to use, if anything the cadence app crashes a little too often.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

ruscoid
One+

Postby ruscoid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Many thanks for your thoughts so far: much appreciated.