5.1 system from stereo system

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
ddias_de

5.1 system from stereo system

Postby ddias_de » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi All

For many years i've been resisting going down the 5.1/home cinema route but in the last year I bought a new UHD 4K TV, and I'm increasingly drawn to the idea of better sound (I currently have the TV optical out going into my Dac/pre-amp).

I've seen some matching Vienna Acoustics standmounts on Ebay for a decent price, and if I can find a VA Theatro center channel (I'm actively looking if anyone knows of one FS), then I reckon I'll take the plunge.

I'm happy with the sound of my music system, and keen to keep it as is, and add a 5.1 system for the occasional movies/TV watching with my family. Question is this - If I get the speaker package described above plus a decent budget A/V receiver, is there a setup whereby I can easily (and without compromising quality) switch between my stereo system (existing pre-amp/Dac/cyrus Mono x, vienna acoustics L/R) and then to my 5.1 system (av receiver, Rear L/R, Center sub and VA l/r)? Or should i just bite the bullet and get a setup that works for both music and movies.

Any advice would be much appreciated! As stated, I'm also on the look out for Vienna Acoustics Theatro center channel speaker.

D

madaboutlawns

Re: 5.1 system from stereo system

Postby madaboutlawns » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:14 pm

I started to think along the same lines, only I started at the opposite end.

I started with an av system and then found out I wanted good music quality.

I couldn't find a way to make the two work in one system, so now I have a dedicated music system and a dedicated atmos system.
As a bonus, I now get pretty good sound in two rooms.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

ddias_de

Postby ddias_de » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks! It turns out my Audiolab 8200cdq has a "home theatre bypass mode" which means you can connect a pre-amp out from an AV receiver to the analogue inputs of the cdq and use my pre/power amps for L/R. This sounds like the solution....

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 pm

thats right , you just have to make sure your av receiver has 2 ch pre out , like this one

https://petertyson.co.uk/denon-avr-x340 ... gI3G_D_BwE

thats what i do . i run the L&R into my bel canto pre amp which is set at 80 [like htb] and the volume control on the av amp controls everything
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

ddias_de

Postby ddias_de » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 pm

hifinutt wrote:thats right , you just have to make sure your av receiver has 2 ch pre out , like this one

https://petertyson.co.uk/denon-avr-x340 ... gI3G_D_BwE

thats what i do . i run the L&R into my bel canto pre amp which is set at 80 [like htb] and the volume control on the av amp controls everything

Thanks - do you recommend that AV receiver? (I'm definitely considering Denon)

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:35 pm

You can't go wrong with the Japanese brands in my experience. The smaller British brands don't always get the reliability and features quite right.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

yes been using denon for many years and their stuff is first class
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Joe wrote:You can't go wrong with the Japanese brands in my experience. The smaller British brands don't always get the reliability and features quite right.

and they cost 10 times more !!!
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

My £1300 Yamaha straight up humiliated a £4000 Arcam.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Been there, done that. Don’t. Short term “Oh that’s interesting/funny/clever, long term - Why didn’t I invest in better 2 channel

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:19 pm

thats the beauty of integrating your lovely 2 channel hi fi amp with an av receiver .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

ddias_de

Postby ddias_de » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:13 am

MiniCoupeman wrote:Been there, done that. Don’t. Short term “Oh that’s interesting/funny/clever, long term - Why didn’t I invest in better 2 channel

That's what I originally thought. A close friend of mine is renting our house in London (We moved to Germany last year.... thanks Brexit), whenever I go back there and watch TV/films on his system I'm bowled over by how much more enjoyable/immersive it is in 5.1 so I feel I want to scratch this itch.

The HT bypass mode seems like the best compromise.

Besides, I'm at a stage in life where I'm pretty happy with my music listening set up and evening listening time competes with family movies/TV shows, guitar practice, reading and (now it's winter) Saunas!

Thanks all - never knew HT bypass mode existed until these past few days.

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 pm

I'm fortunate enough to have surround sound and stereo in different rooms. If I didn't I may well have just the two speakers but mainly due to the space floor standing speakers take up. The surround speakers are wall mounted. They don't cut it for music but I'd hate to be without them for movies and gaming in particular.

tc

Postby tc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Yamaha AV receivers always seem to get good reviews. I'm using a RXA870: https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-rxa870-blk.html
This was last year's model... new version allows you to have proprietary wireless surrounds and sub which is interesting if running wires is a big problem.
I have the L&R running into my 8vs2 V input which is set to power amp mode. You can choose which outputs use the AV amp or an external power amp.
If you have a few hours and a Logitech Elite remote control the day to day use is very straightforward.

You can also feed other AV inputs to your main system - phono, deezer, spotify, etc.
They also have various levels of bypass to make the signals sources as clean as possible (or as enhanced as you like).

tazfi
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby tazfi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm

I have a Yamaha 2040 that is connected to my 2 channel system via the pre outs and it is great. AV amps do run hot though and mine only just fits my rack so that has to be a consideration.