HiFi Show Live, Windsor

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
ozzric

HiFi Show Live, Windsor

Postby ozzric » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Myself and Mrs Ozzric went to the HiFi show Live at Winsdsor on Saturday 10th.
There were quite a few exhibitors and some very interesting equipment on show. As always the played music was a mixed bag, and I didn't come away with some new music to research as I usually do.
Some of the demonstration rooms had live music playing which was a real treat, some had demonstrators passionate about what they were doing and the music they were playing, the rest had sharp-suited businessmen mechanically going through the motions, more interested in sales and figures rather than the kit and music. Same as always!
Anyhow I took some pictures for those who didn't go to have a look at, with appropriate comments. Cyrusunofficial is a relatively safe place to express opinion without starting a forum war,the comments are my own opinion, light-hearted and not to be taken too seriously. :)

LARSEN 9 Loudspeakers. New and unveiled at the show.

Note the silly cable risers. What is the point really, unless the carpet is filthy?? The routing out to the front then back is ridiculous. Imagine doing that in your own front room.
Its ironic then that the design is supposed to enrich the listening experience in smaller rooms.
The sound was not HiFi, flat and 2 dimensional.

ECLIPSE TD Speakers and Subwoofer.
I really didn't like them, all fizz and no substance. Despite the huge subwoofer, the sound was very thin.
Note the new DUAL turntable.

Jonkan Kavlakoglu, playing acoustic guitar through YG Speakers and Bel Canto amplifier. He was fabulous.

YG acoustics also showing their Carmel 2 speakers through Bel Canto equipment. This sounded very nice, very Cyrus in its presentation. I was surprised at the huge sound from these speakers. The cabinets are anodised aluminium, and very nicely finished. Not quite as 3 dimensional as I am used to though.

NORDOST. Demonstrating Nordost cabling using Esoteric amplification and Kef Reference 5 speakers (look at the shine on the side of those Kefs!!).
The room sounded really lovely, those Kefs were an easy listen. Really enjoyed it BUT...

The room is demonstrating NORDOST cables. This picture shows how not to do that. Obviously the cable is too heavy and is drooping in the socket. Made worse because it was terminated in a Furutech Euro 2 pin and had an adapter for UK sockets. Really? do Nordost not make a cable for UK sockets. Attention to detail!

I guess if you are spending that much money on Valhalla speaker cables, then you might want to show them off or even protect them from damage by using the cable holders. I can forgive that. On the other hand having Nordost Sort Kones under absolutely everything is ridiculous (Ranging from £75 to £349 each). The silver box is part of Nordost's Qcore grounding system, which obviously needs to be isolated from ground using as many Sort Kones as possible. :P

Audionote: OTO PP with CD.1 DAC 1.1 and AN-K Speakers.
Nice chaps in the room, one of whom was the owners son! They told me that they had been up till late trying to get a good sound out of a difficult room. Sounded just OK to me let down further by some uninspiring music choices.

CHORD:
This demo room took up an entire converted barn.
The speakers are KEF MUON, the rest is CHORD, spot the ubiquitous 'DAVE' in the centre.
To me this is all over the top bling; almost Vulgar. The sound was a bit 2 dimensional, but you could tell despite its very relaxed presentation that those CHORD monoblocs could have rattled the tiles off the roof if wound up. Personally, I blame the speakers for the lack of engagement.
Its all a bit too 'showy'.

Bowers & Wilkins.
B&W showing off the new 800 diamond series speakers. The D2's were playing the music.
All partnered with CHORD electronics and CHORD Sarum cabling. See how B&W present the CHORD equipment better than CHORD managed. It looks sophisticated and elegant. The sound was wonderful.
Later on we attended a demo by Mathias Bode of Germany's HiFi Mag 'Stereo' A-B,ing the differences between MP3, Redbook and Hi Res files. The resolution of the CHORD system was sufficient to easily determine the stark differences.
Well done B&W. Excellent job on the day.

Look at the shine on this. Some ignorant bugger actually went up to the speakers and rapped on the top cone with his knuckles whilst the demo was running. Would he do the same to his own? Might get a surprise if he did it to mine.
One of the B&W guys was getting a bit pi**ed off with people putting their fingermarks all over the speakers. It makes sense when the speakers on display were the new Prestige version with Santos Rosewood Veneer, high gloss lacquered finish which B&W are touting as a work of art.

This picture demonstrating that this hobby is clearly full of old gits:

KII
For me, this years show winner.
The KII 3, active speaker full of Ncore's, one for each driver. Now demonstrating the lower section of drivers, the BXT low frequency extension modules going from 4kw to 7kw. Its all connected by RJ45, simplicity and technically innovative.
These things really boogied along no matter what music you put through them. The sound was hugely engaging and at times seemed to be coming from the ceiling and sidewalls, disappearing the speakers. Hugely impressive, the wife absolutely loved them, but at £27K a pair...forget it!
I had an extended listen, went back four times and had half an hour each time, really enjoyed them and was waiting for the listening fatigue to set in as they were so dynamic. I did not get fatigued, however there was something there, the fingerspitzengefühl which came to me on the drive home:
They have no soul, I was not moved.

Obviously there was far more to the show than posted here, some of the demo rooms I never even stepped into when I though I might get trapped by a suited salesman spouting stats at me.

I was hoping to see more streaming options as I am thinking of a change, but they were thin on the ground. No dedicated Innuos demo, No ROON, no Auralic. Several of the rooms were streaming from the new Innuos Statement units which I think were on loan as they all had tickets on them identifying them.

Next year, this show will be held at the Ascot Racecourse Grandstand.

Cheers, OZZRIC

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Re: HiFi Show Live, Windsor

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks for the write-up.

What the hell is going on with that speaker in the first picture? It looks like the jpeg has glitched ;D

It's a shame Chord didn't show off those new amps with a pair of PMC Fenestria.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Joe wrote:Thanks for the write-up.

What the hell is going on with that speaker in the first picture? It looks like the jpeg has glitched ;D

It's a shame Chord didn't show off those new amps with a pair of PMC Fenestria.

To me, the Larsen speaker looks like one of those engineering cutaway models you see now and then which are done to show you the amount of attention the manufacturer has paid to the interior.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Fantastic review of the show and what's on offer.
I love your comments.

I wish more shows were reviews like this with pics and comments.

Thank you.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 pm

ozzric , thanks so much for taking the effort , i could not make it
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Excellent review. I went today and would only disagree a bit. For me the TD510’s were excellent and I am considereing buying them ( but I am 68 and my hearing is not what it was - frequency extremes). No mention of the Absolute Sounds demo’s. Wilson Speakers sounded fabulous with thousand of pounds worth of amplifier and DCS source. The Constelation room was rubbish and having attended all the shows I can say, this was as usual. ( also the man has no idea of what music appeals to Hi Fi fans) Come to that, the music played in most rooms bore no relation to what we play ( see What Did You Listen To Tonight) Most used a female signer with a piano and bass, please get a life, we listen to Rock music. Good show though, oh, and no mention of Primare which, I hesitate to say, would/do blow Cyrus out the water at half the cost.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:11 pm

music is always a debateable point , many on here love classical and electronica . but not always easy to get to hear that at shows .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for the report Ozzric.

My kind of writing - passionate and not frightened of saying it as it is.
Akurate EDSM; Akurate Kontrol/0/D pro; Akurate Exaktbox/1; 3x Lejonklou Tundra 2.5, Exakted PMC Twenty.26;  A4200/1, PMC Twenty.C; C4100, PMC Twenty.21;  Linn Silver ICs;  S480 BD; Samsung 40" 1080P 100Hz; Quadraspire; P5.
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC; Cyrus 6; Mission 773e
http://www.audiophilemusings.co.uk

Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Ianmac » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Many thanks for the report and the time taken to compile it.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Great report, thanks.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono