Cyrus Pre Dac QX

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Odjohnson
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Cyrus Pre Dac QX

Postby Odjohnson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Just upgraded to this from a pre vs 2 and whilst I can agree that it is more transparent and punchier and there is more depth to the soundstage than the Pre VS2. The treble comes across harsher. I thought that later model cyrus greater was supposed to give a smoother treble.

The system is has a CD8 on the front end and Stereo 200 on the speaker end.

Wandering if I should have held out for the Pre2 Dac QX now. Has anybody had any back to back experience of these two and can say what improvements Cyrus brought with the Pre2 Dac.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Cyrus Pre Dac QX

Postby angelface » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Are you using CD8 as a transport?

What speakers and speaker cable are you using?
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Odjohnson
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby Odjohnson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi thanks for response. Using the the dac from the cd at the moment until my digital lead arrives ..chord signature digital.

Interconnects are chord chorus mk1 and speaker cable is chord oddesy. Feeding a pair of dynaudio audience 70

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:06 am

I would not jump to conclusions until you've tried digital lead.

My system was very bright (search for screechy violins thread here) until I replaced my Chord Oddie speaker cables with some Coherent 4D cables (you could try some other brands that are not so bright as Chord too).
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Jonesey
One+

Postby Jonesey » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Hi, 1st time poster but long time viewer here.
I had a similar system to yourself a while ago now (Pre XPD and CD8x into Linn Katan speakers), and like yourself found my system could be quite harsh. Some recordings were completely un-listenable (a few Toumani Diabate albums were sadly a bit of a screechy mess).
When I took advantage of one of the Cyrus upgrade offers and upgraded the CD8x to the Cyrus CD XT Signature the difference was absolutely stunning, much more warmth, the harshness was taken out of the top end and more depth from the bass. I realise that's a fairly radical upgrade though ! There are probably easier (and less expensive!!) changes you could make, like Angelface suggests, speaker cables or interconnects may be an option.
Cyrus CD XT Signature - Cyrus Pre Xpd - Cyrus Mono X - PMC 5.23

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Is your pre is brand new?
if so, I suggest you let it bed in.
I suspect any digital cable will improve your system no end
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Odjohnson
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby Odjohnson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks for your responses

The pre is new to me but , came to me used. Running the cd through the digital lead and through the QX DAC has improved things significantly.

Although a great cd the CD8 is 13 years old and is getting increasing picky about playing discs, but running through a later spec DAC is yielding benefits. Although the top end can still seem a little hard on some tracks

I have seen a cd t for sale was wandering if this would improve things.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 am

Whilst it isn't listed on the Cyrus website I would check with Cyrus possibility & cost of upgrading to CDXTSIG. It won't be cheap but you would get a superb transport with a 5 year guarantee. In addition I would avoid any cables with silver plated conductors. Pure silver IC's are a revelation (!) & can be found at reasonable cost. Because of lengths which might be required pure silver speaker cables can be prohibitively expensive but good quality copper cables can give excellent results.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Oops! Upgrades only qualify for 2 year warranty.