Something else
45%

Total votes: 20

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Naiming and shaming

Postby angelface » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:40 pm

I have the itch to upgrade my power amplification. My first reaction was to get a pair of Mono X300 Signatures but even the s/h price is outside my budget. Trying to think of othe alternatives I wondered about Naim..

On Saturday I went to listen to a Naim system and was reasonably impressed with what I heard. Trying to connect my passive to a Naim power amplifier is a bit of a non-starter due to cabling issues and no-one seems to recommend it!

My budget is about 1500 quid maximum. So what should I do?

Change my Mono X for Mono x200 Signature (about 1200 quid net)
Change my Mono X and MF pre for Naim NAC282+NAP250-2 (also about 1200 qui net)

or do you have other ideas?
Last edited by angelface on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Going to the dark side?

Postby callen24 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:53 pm

I was going to ask if you had heard a lot of naim?
there are lots of alternatives to cyrus, naim seems a very different type of sound.
sugden?
If you like the sound of the system you have now, x300 seems a safe bet, you can buy without lots of demoing, and getting to hear naim with your speakers, in your room.
I suspect that cyrus must have d300 mono amps in the pipeline, ie x200 is no longer sold.
Therefore i suspect any x300 s/h would become cheaper soon
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:39 pm

"Reasonably impressed" isn't good enough! Keep listening. :D

Don't rule out integrated amps either. What's the going rate for your pre/power so we have a better idea of budget?
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I picked up a 15 year old Bryston 3B SST on eBay for £1,400. It still had three year warranty on it. It is far better than my previous X300 Signatures. Great grip on lower frequencies and very transparent. I’m sure that there other similarly good second-hand buys around.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

ozzric

Postby ozzric » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:36 pm

You need an Audionote OTO in your life :)

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:54 am

Joe wrote:Don't rule out integrated amps either. What's the going rate for your pre/power so we have a better idea of budget?

I reckon I should get around 2200 quid for existing pre/power. However if I am not going Naim I'll keep my passive pre I think.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 am

Not enticed by a good valve amp, Stephen?
ARC cd5>Fractal f1 rca>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>Townshend Fractal f1 rca>PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Poweramps (mono)>Isolda>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>Coax spdif>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>Townshend F1 fractal>PL Dialogue Pre etc. .

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 am

From my recollection when I auditioned various makes a few years ago (in order to select a streaming setup) the 'Naim Sound' was completely different to the 'Cyrus Sound' so I'm very surprised that the choice would be between those.
In my case it was totally obvious within the first few seconds which sound I preferred.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

ozzric wrote:You need an Audionote OTO in your life :)

well yes , if you have very very sensitive speakers like 98db perhaps like zu or audionote k or above. unfortunately the op does not have these , there is the most beautiful otto at 1850 [2017] on pfm but it would be no good with any of my speakers !!!

on an amplifier front , there is a chap who makes firebottle amps which are 1100 per pair . they are hybrid valve . whether they are any better than your current amps i am not sure . 65 watts per amp . very neutral sound .

i know guys on here like bryston but some forums find them cold and sterile , there is a guy on ebay that makes pass lab clones that many speaker highly of
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:21 pm

1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:58 am

So last Saturday I arranged a demo with my local Naim dealer.  This is what I heard
Esoteric CD player into Naim NAC202 into Naim250DR into Proac Reponses D48
I played 3 tracks 
Coldplay : Yellow
London Grammar : Rooting for You
Def Lepard : Slang
What did I think?
Great rhythm, tight and plenty of bass.  Midrange smooth a bit recessed (Like artist was standing over there rather than next to me). Treble a bit smoothed off.
Dealer suggested we tried some other speakers so we tried some Apertura Orina.  These gave more treble and the sound was less recessed.
I then went home and listened to the same tracks on my system.  London Grammar was so much better but the others seemed a bit fuzzy and the drummer seemed out of time with the bassist.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Not convinced by the idea of tube power amp..

Bryston might be worth a try. Sugden if I can find one in my price range or of course a better Cyrus Mono X!

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:05 pm

angelface wrote:So last Saturday I arranged a demo with my local Naim dealer.  This is what I heard
Esoteric CD player into Naim NAC202 into Naim250DR into Proac Reponses D48
I played 3 tracks 
Coldplay : Yellow
London Grammar : Rooting for You
Def Lepard : Slang
What did I think?
Great rhythm, tight and plenty of bass.  Midrange smooth a bit recessed (Like artist was standing over there rather than next to me). Treble a bit smoothed off.
Dealer suggested we tried some other speakers so we tried some Apertura Orina.  These gave more treble and the sound was less recessed.
I then went home and listened to the same tracks on my system.  London Grammar was so much better but the others seemed a bit fuzzy and the drummer seemed out of time with the bassist.

i feel i’m repeating myself, till you hear it with your own speakers, i believe you will be buying blind
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:34 pm

angelface wrote:Not convinced by the idea of tube power amp..

Bryston might be worth a try. Sugden if I can find one in my price range or of course a better Cyrus Mono X!

I'm well pleased with my Bryston. For my acoustic tastes, it fits well with my DACXP and gives the sort of sound that I prefer, namely very open and transparent (some would say a bit clinical), but of course the speakers make a big difference too.
I agree that you really must try any amp with your own speakers if at all possible.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Really difficult to demo an amp with my speakers especially buying s/h

Anyone know a dealer that does Wilson Benesch AND Naim,Bryston or Sugden?