Pre amp suggestions please

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
tazfi
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Pre amp suggestions please

Postby tazfi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 pm

I was thinking about upgrading my pre amp and would appreciate any recommendations. I have about £1000 available and would be happy to buy used. I had thought about a passive pre amp as I have heard good things about them. I had thought about looking for a combined pre dac and even media player but have seen some advice that it is best to keep processes separate and I am happy with my Hugo even though I wish it came with a remote.
Tazfi

Michelle Mycro, RB 250 with Goldring 1042, Cyrus CD XT, Chord Hugo,  Cyrus Pre Xvs, 2*mono X to Spendor D7. Yamaha 2040 running centre B&W HTM7 and B&W M1s rears and REL Sub

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Pre amp suggestions please

Postby Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:44 pm

I used to use my Hugo TT with an MFA passive pre. Sounded great and meant you could at least adjust the volume for the digital sources with the Hugo remote.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 am

the mfa ones work well with cyrus amps. and keep value. a copper mk1 might be had for £650
do you need pass through for home cinema?
you could probably come and hear mine if you want to hear the difference?
do you only need two inputs?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 am

flip me callen , there have been no copper ones at that price for months !! if you see one grab it . yes the copper mark 2 mfa is superb . there are so many good pre amps . the bel canto pre 3 vbs is brilliant and has 200 individual steps in its marvellous remote control and is equivalent to the mfa copper mark 2 at about 750 or less s/h

you may have seen the schiit saga and schiit freya pre amps [ 350 and 750 new ] both excellent and the latter is mega transparent and the former has a beautiful sound especially in valve form

there is a huge choice of pre amps out there
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am

of course not too far from you is icon audio and worth looking at their stuff and this pre amp

http://www.iconaudio.com/main-products/ ... amplifier/
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am

tony at coherant has a pre 3 vbs and maybe you could get a deal on the vbs1 it needs or a cheaper lns1 power supply

https://coherent-systems.co.uk/pre-owned-items-for-sale

i have 4 pre amps here at the moment and they are all so different ,
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

tazfi
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby tazfi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Thank you all for the replies and thanks for the links. To clarify, pass through for the Yamaha receiver would be good but that apart I would like another two inputs for my turntable as well as the Hugo to connect to the Pre. Overall I would say that I like the Cyrus sound but would favour a bit more detail and depth as my current set up sounds a little light through the Spendors.

The reason for the request for help was that it seems to me that there is so much choice out there. I had seen the comments about the Schitt pre amps which was originally got me thinking and then Angelface mentioned about the MFAs. I don't think I have ever heard a passive pre amp. Plus Bel Canto seem to have a great reputation and the link to the two Bel Canto's is tempting.
Tazfi

Michelle Mycro, RB 250 with Goldring 1042, Cyrus CD XT, Chord Hugo,  Cyrus Pre Xvs, 2*mono X to Spendor D7. Yamaha 2040 running centre B&W HTM7 and B&W M1s rears and REL Sub

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 pm

I have a friend who had a CDi and tried a pre3vbs with an LNS through Mono X power amps. He was really disappointed with it and now has a Naim system.

If you need HT bypass this makes it difficult with passives unless you buy new. Not to mention the problems with matching to turntables which I know nothing about!

I had a pre3vbs which was a great match with my Bel Canto dac3vbs and then 3.7. Only bettered by MF v2 but mine only has a single input but this is not a problem as all my sources are digital so I can plug into DAC instead.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm

i use the home theatre bypass in the pre 3 vbs . i just set one input at 80 and it remembers this . it has loads of inputs . today we have been testing it with a friend and had the rotel cd player in one input and chord dac 64 in another and it remembers each input . it was pretty good with both options
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm

if you ever want to call into brum you can hear the pre 3 into a rather special amp and i think you will be rather blown away :) :) :) it is all system dependant though . you could spend more on a pre amp but i just like the bombproof build and remote and the incredible fine control

i have had about 30 pre amps and so often they have too fast remotes or no remote at all or cost a bomb or are too big

MFA can be got with htb but its rare , it really is a super pre amp but hugely expensive now sadly .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Do the Mono X have switchable inputs like the 300? I forget. If so you should try the Hugo as a digital pre-amp and see if you like it. Just as an experiment.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm

hifinutt wrote:flip me callen , there have been no copper ones at that price for months !! if you see one grab it . yes the copper mark 2 mfa is superb . there are so many good pre amps . the bel canto pre 3 vbs is brilliant and has 200 individual steps in its marvellous remote control and is equivalent to the mfa copper mark 2 at about 750 or less s/h

you may have seen the schiit saga and schiit freya pre amps [ 350 and 750 new ] both excellent and the latter is mega transparent and the former has a beautiful sound especially in valve form

there is a huge choice of pre amps out there

having looked at the schitt models they do seem very good value, if they deliver. i understand why they are popular.
the mfa mini classic, with 2 inputs, if you can find one, are good value to
but the thread initiator really needs to hear it with his kit, it is a matter of taste
Last edited by callen24 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

gary66

Postby gary66 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm

I had a similar set up with a Hugo tt, Cyrus 200 signatures and Spendor D7s. I added an MFA passive pre, so I could link in a turntable. It was very clear with loads of detail. But maybe not what you’re looking for if you want more depth. It didn’t have any more depth than the Cyrus pre I had before (a dac xp signature) but did have more clarity and separation.

tazfi
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby tazfi » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. The offer to listen is appreciated and I would like to listen to the Schitt but it doesn't sound as if our kit is compatible. I think I need to find a way to listen to some of the models mentioned to make sure any changes work with my existing kit. I am pretty sure Mono X amps don't have switchable inputs. Angelface' comments about the sound matching the Bel Canto with Mono Xs is a shame though it would help to understand what the issue was
Thanks again.
Tazfi

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:22 pm

just one person not liking a pre with mono x does not mean they are to be ruled out . its up to your ears . i would be very happy to hook up your mono x to a pre 3 here , i have 4 lots of speakers in various rooms .

finding a cost effective pre under a 1000 is worth the effort
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner