Roon and Cyrus

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Roon and Cyrus

Postby callen24 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Apparently someone from cyrus claims they have been talking to Roon about making cyrus Roon compatitable
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Roon and Cyrus

Postby zippy » Fri May 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Rather surprising since whenever there's a need to add functionality, Cyrus always seem to claim that there's no spare capacity for additional functions.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 pm

I'd be very surprised to see Roon endpoint functionality added to the old shoebox streamers. It would certainly be a boon for a now dated product.

I love the sound of my Aurender and the app works really well but I'm considering moving to an Innuos Zennith purely for the Roon core feature. I like the look of Roon, particularly for the new music suggestions. I could also use the Oppo in the living room as an end point.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Perhaps it's the Cyrus One that could get a firmware update to add Rune. As mentioned already the current Streamers don't seem to have any spare capacity to add new features.

Joe, I use an Oppo 4K player as an end point with digital out to my DAC. Roon is very good, not just the new music you'll find but the "radio" feature is excellent.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:40 pm

zippy wrote:Rather surprising since whenever there's a need to add functionality, Cyrus always seem to claim that there's no spare capacity for additional functions.

i suspect they are not talking about the current product
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

Starwarsmike2422

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:29 am

Joe

I would also consider “The Linear Solution” company for a streamer. My DS-7 has just arrived will update with a review shortly.
ASR Emitter Exclusive Blue II
HDPlex Case (fanless) + MCRU Linear PSU + HQPlayer Roon - SOTM Ultra - SOTM SPS 500
TAD D1000 DAC/CD
Sonus Faber Amati Speakers
Reference Fidelity Saturn RCA - Neotech NES-3001 + Furutech 201
Mains - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - MCRU Pinnacle (to P5) - Nanotech Strada 309 - Furutech NCF plugs
Symposium Ultra Platforms and Rollerblocks
GIK Acoustics

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat May 11, 2019 9:54 am

Joe wrote: I'm considering moving to an Innuos Zennith purely for the Roon core feature.

You’re not alone. If the dealers I frequent and the industry press is anything to go by, Innuos are the players to be with atm. It’s certainly the direction I would go in if I were inclined to spend more money on my setup and had a Roon subscription. As it is, Tidal via Lightning DS is fulfilling all my needs atm.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Indeed. Innuos seem to have both the sound and the features I want. Don't really need the disc ripper myself but I can see the appeal. I'd like to see them do a model with a nice display for artwork instead. Auralic do that but you cant use it as a Roon core and I'm not a fan of the house sound.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat May 11, 2019 2:10 pm

The issue I have is price. These devices are getting awfully expensive now. Auralic G2 series are what, £4K more or less. Innuos’ top Zennith is £10k. These devices are essentially headless computers. Unlike traditional hifi separates, their lifespan is somewhat limited by the legacy support that will be offered by the manufacturers. Will Auralic provide a version of Lightning DS that will run with my Aries in 10 yrs? Will Tidal still work with it? Will there be backwards compatibility with whatever USB or network protocol being used at that time? Not to mention the pace with which this area of hifi is developing. This is a completely different agenda for hifi compared to the traditional decisions surrounding amps/speakers/ Players.....

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Sat May 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Attonine wrote:... This is a completely different agenda for hifi compared to the traditional decisions surrounding amps/speakers/ Players.....

I keep saying that - anyone can buy a CD player and shove in a CD, but how are they going to keep up with what is getting more and more technical by the minute..
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of, my iPad breaks so I buy a new which comes with IOS 20 or whatever the version is at the time. I install all my apps and discover this version of Lightning DS no longer supports the Aries. The last version to support the Aries was on iOS 18. It’s not possible to install iOS 18 on the new iPad, so I think, no problem, I’ll just use the Tidal app through Airplay. Damn, AirPlay 1 is no longer supported, only Airplay 2 and up....so I’ve just bought a new iPad which now inconveniently renders my Aries without control. Solution, look for a used older iPad or maybe some other tablet that can run the older Lightning DS, or of course, but a new streamer for £???????? (Hopefully by this time a streamer which can equal the Aries will be £25 :D :D

It’s this kind of problem I don’t look forward to, but I know it’s going to come at some point.

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sat May 11, 2019 4:33 pm

True, but how many of us keep any piece of Hi-fi kit for a decade? ;D

I learnt from owning a Cyrus streamer that if it works, don't update anything!

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat May 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Even if your a serial upgrader, this is a forced upgrade, rather than a choice. And then, good luck trying to recoup some of the costs selling a device everyone knows is on life support because the manufacturer has decided to stop supporting it.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 am

There is a much cheaper alternative to buying an expensive Roon core and that's to build your own using an Intel NUC or other headless computer. The Roon site has full instructions for doing this along with links to Amazon for the kit if you want to buy from there. I built one last year, it took about 2 hours from unboxing the Intel NUC to having the Roon core installed and playing music via Tidal. The Core can be built on any device, it doesn't need to have a fantastic power supply, expensive cables or any other "audiophile" gizmos, its purely the control center that streams the music to the Roon endpoint. The endpoint can be a Roon-ready DAC, or in my case my Oppo 4K player, even a Raspberry Pi if you want to stay with the home-built option. I can see the convenience of a single-box manufactured solution, especially if you're not comfortable with the IT side of things, but as pointed out they're becoming very expensive, way beyond any reason I can see for what is basically a simple computer.
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Joe wrote:True, but how many of us keep any piece of Hi-fi kit for a decade? ;D

I learnt from owning a Cyrus streamer that if it works, don't update anything!

i believe i’ve had my speakers for 7 years, and won’t be planning to get another pair unless they go bang

record deck similar age
And stream x2 6 years.

Admittedly i made a lot of changes in the years after i bought an 8XPDQX, when it was released