Speaker suggestions

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Davidwp
Five+

Speaker suggestions

Postby Davidwp » Sun May 12, 2019 10:54 am

I have a DAC XP SIGNATURE/MONO X 300 SIGNATURE & the time has come to replace my aged Castle speakers & would welcome comment on the 3 speakers I have shortlisted to demo.

B&W 702 S2
ATC SCM40
ProAc -Response D30S

Also are there any other speakers I should consider, listen mainly to folk, rock & clasical.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Speaker suggestions

Postby hifinutt » Sun May 12, 2019 1:27 pm

lot of fans for the atc but i find them bright

i heard the d30r several times and i was struck by the wood finish compared to the B&W which i also like

i heard the d30r in one room which speakers close to wall with arcam and it was a lovely sound , then i heard same speakers in a different room with valve amps and they were horrible . i guess a home demo is very important . i do love proac though

for the price of the d30 you could get a nice s/h b&w 804d 2

after demoing the proac dt8 , d20 , d30r i ended up with tannoy eaton legacy which is pretty good but not a floorstander
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sun May 12, 2019 2:30 pm

hifinutt wrote:lot of fans for the atc but i find them bright

I wouldn’t put ATC and bright in the same sentence, but each to their own. I’m not a fan of B&W, I find their larger speakers in particular a bit of a bully. But they are popular so.....

I think their are lots of options for the OP. As B&W are on the list I would suggest KEF, though I’m not up with current models, and Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands, especially if a pair can be found used. Usual suspect should be considered if can be easily demoed from local dealer: Spendor, PMC, Dynaudio, Sony’s Faber etc..

I say try everything you can, especially if local dealers have stock.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun May 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Attonine wrote:I say try everything you can, especially if local dealers have stock.

Yep. There are second hand bargains to be had but it's always a stab in the dark. If you want to get it right first time, go and listen to a variety of speakers and narrow down a shortlist for home demo if at all possible.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

Davidwp
Five+

Postby Davidwp » Sun May 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Many thanks for the replies so far.
I would rather demo the speakers first as for me this is a sizeable investment so wasn't considering S/H. At the very least a dealer should be able to set up a demo using DAC/Mono Cyrus set up like mine.
Attonine - thanks for all your suggestions- couldn't find the Vienna acoustics available as new. I currently biwire the Castle speakers & have thought in the future of adding a second pair of the Mono 300's so I would like speakers with more than one pair of terminals, Spendor, Dynaudio & the new PMC don't.
So at the moment think I will try & demo the B&W, ATC & Proac.
Any further thoughts suggestions most welcome.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:23 pm

audio vector.
but there are many good se ondhand bargains, if you can collect.
So what you see cheap, might decide it.
Look out for totem s/h to

I suspect you can’t go wrong with the right KEF model

I would not recommend the vienna acoustics i have because they need lots of space and are incredibly hard to set up
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Davidwp
Five+

Postby Davidwp » Sun May 12, 2019 8:48 pm

Thanks Callen not heard of audio vector before but then it has been over 20years since I bought stereo speakers!
You are right about S/H bargains & collecting is not a problem just a little concerned about not demoing them first. I have seen S/H Pmc Twenty 26 for £2995.00 which is tempting but would be bought cold.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Davidwp wrote:Thanks Callen not heard of audio vector before but then it has been over 20years since I bought stereo speakers!
You are right about S/H bargains & collecting is not a problem just a little concerned about not demoing them first. I have seen S/H Pmc Twenty 26 for £2995.00 which is tempting but would be bought cold.

see them working when you collect?
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 pm

I have a similar system to yours and I run a pair of Dali Opticon 8's.
I actually bought the x300 sigs to power them, and they work and sound great.
The cost is a little lower than your other choices and to my ears they are fantastic.

I love listening to them and don't ever tire of hearing them sing.
Although I've not heard any other speakers with my system, I have been to a few shows and listened to a lot of speakers, I find it hard to find anything that sounds better than what I have. I might be bias, I don't know?

But I think these should be on your demo list.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:59 am

madaboutlawns wrote:I have a similar system to yours and I run a pair of Dali Opticon 8's.
The cost is a little lower than your other choices and to my ears they are fantastic.

Although I've not heard any other speakers with my system, I have been to a few shows and listened to a lot of speakers, I find it hard to find anything that sounds better than what I have. I might be bias, I don't know?

I forgot to say dali O0

Davidwp
Five+

Postby Davidwp » Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm

madaboutlawns wrote:I have a similar system to yours and I run a pair of Dali Opticon 8's.

Thanks for that I will definitely add them to the list. I wasn't too sure of price I should be looking at but if you are using them with the x300 & are happy & I can save some money then even better O0