DacXP Signature Problem

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
shaneclare

DacXP Signature Problem

Postby shaneclare » Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 am

I switched on my system at the weekend and have encountered a strange problem which did not exist before. Now when I change the volume up and down (via the rotary knob or remote control) on each change the sound instantaneously drops out and then returns, once the required volume is reached all is fine and as per normal.

Also the MC-BUS system has stopped working.

From the above I can only deduce that I have a pre-app issue unless anyone has any other ideas.

I'm loathed to return the Pre to Cyrus and the nearest shop is a fifty mile round trip and therefore would appreciate any thoughts or ideas before I get to this stage.

As I say once the correct volume is reached all is fine.

Thanks
Main
Gyrodec SE, Original Live Silver mk11, Lehmann Black Cube, Benz Micro Glider and Stream Xa, DACxp Sig/PSXR, mono x 300 sig, xt400, Wilson Benesch Discoverys

2nd
Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, Chord Cobra, PP10 passive, Quad 909, Atlas Hyper, PMC FB1

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: DacXP Signature Problem

Postby callen24 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm

i think on a similar thread mickbald took people through the rest process, as he has used it a few times
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi, yes I've had a few problems with the DAC XP Sig. In my case the bass completely disappeared.

The process is in the user manual, the relevant bit is copied below. Note that by "remove power" it means turn off completely, not just put in standby. This will delete all your settings.

If you have had a problem with the DAC it is possible this caused the MC-Buss to drop out. I'd treat the two as separate problems though. First do the factory restore on the DAC. Hope it works! Then power everything on the MC-Bus down completely and leave for a while to discharge. Then power it all up again.

Restoring factory settings
You can also restore all configuration options to the initial
default settings that were applied at the factory.
NOTE: This operation is not reversible.
To restore factory settings, disconnect mains power from
the unit. Now re-connect mains power while holding down
the Standby key.

This is the link to download the manual.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Cyrus-DAC-XP-Signature-handbook-en.pdf

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Thank you to you both, all problems solved.
Main
Gyrodec SE, Original Live Silver mk11, Lehmann Black Cube, Benz Micro Glider and Stream Xa, DACxp Sig/PSXR, mono x 300 sig, xt400, Wilson Benesch Discoverys

2nd
Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, Chord Cobra, PP10 passive, Quad 909, Atlas Hyper, PMC FB1

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Mon May 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Excellent!

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue May 21, 2019 2:37 pm

mickbald wrote:Hi, yes I've had a few problems with the DAC XP Sig. In my case the bass completely disappeared.

My DACXP (not a Sig) does that too! Done it twice now, and the only way to make it work properly is to power it off and on again. I'm struggling to think ~how~ a DAC can suddenly lose all bass - it's a very strange problem...

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Tue May 21, 2019 3:27 pm

Might be a good idea to ask Cyrus directly what causes this issue.

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 am

Just returned from holiday and the dacxp sig now has a new problem there is hardly any volume until you get to around -10db on all inputs.

I have tried the factory reset but that doesn't help.

Looks like a trip back to Cyrus or any thoughts.
Main

2nd

groover

Postby groover » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:42 am

My DAC XP Sig has just started doing exactly the same.... starts off with very low volume output, then it seems after "warming up" for 30-60 mins starts to intermittently return to normal volume levels. Also have the same issue with adjusting the volume dial as previous poster. I haven't done the factory reset, already boxed up and on-route to Service. Will report back on the actual fault and remedy.

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Mine’s been back with Cyrus a couple of weeks now, no info as of yet.
Main

2nd

groover

Postby groover » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:31 am

My DAC is on it's way back, caps replaced (and upgraded from factory caps). Apparently a fairly well known issue as caps end their lifespan. Upgrades promised to bring me "more depth and dimension in the soundstage, takes the DAC to well above factory sound". Looking forward to having it back. Cost was AUD$700

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:23 am

Good to hear that the problem has been resolved.
I would like to know age of your Sig as an indication of lifespan of caps. It might help to know whether your devices are permanently on or left in standby when not in use.
I assume that as you had factory caps upgraded this work was not carried out by Cyrus as I imagine Cyrus would replace like for like. Was any other work carried out at the same time?
Would it be sensible to ask make/model of new caps for future reference?
AUD $700 equates to GBP £390 which is not significantly more than a Cyrus repair/service @ £300 & might represent better value given anticipated performance.
I would appreciate your comments.

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Caps should last at least 15 years.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

groover

Postby groover » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 am

Lancashirelad - unit about 5-6 years old. Left on standby, off at wall when away for any length of time on travels. 70 plus caps as part of the repair and upgrade, my engineer won't divulge any more than that :)

The repairs were quoted at AUS$400, so for another AUD$300 the unit was upgraded, no brainer really.

I can't comment on what caps should or shouldn't last, but seems several units out there with the same issue and similar age.

If anyone in Australia is interested in these repairs/upgrades, PM me.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 am

Many thanks. Enjoy!