Thommy Hypex nCore build

careful with that soldering iron, Eugene
Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Thommy Hypex nCore build

Postby Ianmac » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:35 pm

With the rising cost of power I now do not leave any Hi Fi equipment continually powered up.
I have a 12v trigger available from my Benchmark DAC and had looked at using that to control the Hypex modules but the effort involved tweaking my N Core modules lost out to the simple move of manually switching everything on /off as required.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

Thommy

Postby Thommy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14 pm

More nCore woes!

My amps have been in a drawer for some time now and I recently built them into a new CNCd case.

After a day of listening one of them has started making a wailing sound which is not very pleasant at all. I checked the date of my purchase and found 2 days left on the warranty so have reported it to Hypex and will wait for their response.
DIY Hifi is an illness...
RaspPi Streamer & iPad
WaveIO & DDDAC 1794
10core DIY Litz braid Silver / Furutech XLRs
Hypex nCore dual mono
14core DIY Litz braid Silver LS cable
Wilmslow Audio Prestige Custom
[url=http://www.rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/smfcu/http://rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2]Second system: The Uni-Fi!

David H

Postby David H » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:27 am

Good timing.

Good luck.

I'll be interested to discover what is wrong and how they respond.
1: JRiver->Chord 2Qute->MFA MKII Silver->NCores->Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arrete
2: JRiver->Chord 2Qute->Trilogy 931->HD800
3: Android phone->Mojo->HD800
3: JRiver->Audiophonics DAC->Cyrus 8 integrated+PSX-R->Audiovector Mi3 Super

Thommy

Postby Thommy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 am

Well the amp & SMPS went to Hypex HQ 16 days ago via tracked Airmail.

Whilst their service is great they don't update customers via email at any point in the process.

However, I checked the status of the RMA this morning to find this comment:

"One LED was broken. Unit replaced.
SMPS is fine, no problems found."

I can expect it back any day now as their return shipping is lightning quick.
RaspPi Streamer & iPad
WaveIO & DDDAC 1794
Hypex nCore dual mono
[url=http://www.rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/smfcu/http://rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2]Second system: The Uni-Fi!

Thommy

Postby Thommy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Received a brand new amp today, all of the capacitors are different to my other one. I hope that they sound the same!  ???
RaspPi Streamer & iPad
WaveIO & DDDAC 1794
Hypex nCore dual mono

mojo

Postby mojo » Sun May 06, 2018 10:17 am

Another revival for this thread...

I'm looking to make up a pair of Ncore based monoblocks for when my new (to me) ATC SCM40s arrive. I ~think~ the complete Hypex-supplied NC400 mono kit was introduced since the last post on this thread. Can anyone comment on whether it's a reasonable deal compared to the alternatives? If I've made the right assumptions about VAT rate in NL, it looks like they come in at around £700 per mono.

The only alternative I've looked at so far is the Ghent Audio case direct from China, but pricing on that suggests that it won't be a major saving to go down that route. Are there any other relatively straightforward casing options these days that don't involve a lot of drilling and cutting? I should add that I don't mind doing drilling and cutting, but I find it quite hard to do that and make it look completely professional!

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun May 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Suggestion......why not just buy the Nord amp like many have including me for my second system?

By the time you purchase all the bits, try to make a suitable case etc no real difference in price I suspect
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Ianmac » Sun May 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Good to read you have managed to get a pair of ATC's
As you know from earlier posts I built my own cases for my Ucd 400 and N Cores, I havent been looking at cases recently but have just come into contact with the Ghent Audio case and its fine but you have to order the rear panel for your application ( No of speaker terminals, XLR or XLR +phono etc)
The Hypex case looks absolutely identical excepting a minor cosmetic tweak to the front panel, I would say they are coming out of the same chinese factory.
If I see any off the shelf cases in the UK Ill get the info to you.

I have two Ucd400 amps here if you want to borrow them till you get NCores sorted out. Balanced inputs and 3 speaker wire connections.designed to stand behind ATC's Cosmetically acceptable (as they are hidden)
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

mojo

Postby mojo » Sun May 06, 2018 8:36 pm

SimonJ wrote:Suggestion......why not just buy the Nord amp like many have including me for my second system?

I understand what you're saying but... I wanna make them myself! I'll have a look at the pricing over the next few days.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 pm

mojo wrote:
SimonJ wrote:Suggestion......why not just buy the Nord amp like many have including me for my second system?

I understand what you're saying but... I wanna make them myself! I'll have a look at the pricing over the next few days.

The most basic nord is amazing value, the one without the op amps, and in a single box. Its still dual mono
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

mojo

Postby mojo » Sun May 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Ianmac wrote:Good to read you have managed to get a pair of ATC's
As you know from earlier posts I built my own cases for my Ucd 400 and N Cores, I havent been looking at cases recently but have just come into contact with the Ghent Audio case and its fine but you have to order the rear panel for your application ( No of speaker terminals, XLR or XLR +phono etc)
The Hypex case looks absolutely identical excepting a minor cosmetic tweak to the front panel, I would say they are coming out of the same chinese factory.
If I see any off the shelf cases in the UK Ill get the info to you.

I have two Ucd400 amps here if you want to borrow them till you get NCores sorted out. Balanced inputs and 3 speaker wire connections.designed to stand behind ATC's Cosmetically acceptable (as they are hidden)

Ian - thanks, I would have been in a position to take you up on that just a few hours ago! I've literally left Scotland earlier today, now down in Carlisle. Oh well, I'll have to wait.

I've been aiming to do a very similar thing to your original UCD project, with ultra-short speaker cables and longer XLR connectors to the DAC.

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Mon May 07, 2018 9:00 am

mojo wrote:

Fair enough
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue May 08, 2018 9:29 am

Hmm... now I can see why the Hypex case is not really seen as great value - once you've paid VAT it's not far off £200, but exactly the same case (except for the Hypex logo) direct from Ghent is half that!

More research definitely needed...

mojo

Postby mojo » Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm

callen24 wrote:The most basic nord is amazing value, the one without the op amps, and in a single box. Its still dual mono

Agreed, though now I've been looking for a while, the choice keeps growing! When you come to look there seem to be quite a few companies making NC500 Ncore based amps - for example ATM in Spain, and Hattor and Apollon in Germany.

In particular Apollon seems to be excellent value because as far as I can tell they include either the Sparkos or Sonic Imagery input boards in the price, while they are optional extras with Nord. In fact you can get a fully optioned pair of NC500 monos, shipped to the UK for under £1800. The equivalent from Nord seems to be near enough £400 more...

Having said that, the Nord NC502 based stereo amp looks really attractive too - because if I'm really honest, I don't need fantastic channel separation. I almost never sit in the ideal position in front of the speakers - music for me is mostly a background while I'm doing other things.

The only thing I can't get that way is the really short speaker cable runs, but I can mitigate that by using multiple runs of really heavy speaker cable.

Too many choices, too few decisions...

southpaw

Postby southpaw » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 pm

I’d bought the Apollon recently as an ex display item, which worked out a touch more than diy NC 400s from Hypex. Very good and comes with all the Nord options except 12v trigger.