Recommendations for Streamer/DAC combo

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Starwarsmike2422

Recommendations for Streamer/DAC combo

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi

Looking for recommendations for a 1 box solution Streamer with built in DAC? Budget 2-3k max. Something other than Cyrus

Thanks in advance.,
SME 20 Turntable - SME V (Ikeda wire) - Van Den Hul Colibri XPG
ASR Basis Exclusive Phonostage
ASR Emitter II Blue Amplifier
Cyrus Signature Streamer & DAC
Sonus Faber Amati Speakers

XACITY

Re: Recommendations for Streamer/DAC combo

Postby XACITY » Sat May 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi, I've just had a good look around and got the Lindemann Musicbook 25 from Elite audio the 25 has built in CD spinner and this allowed me to remove anther unit but other models come without, so far its its been brilliant, better than my Dac XP Sig & CDxt se2 combo. Check them out plenty of good reviews and there's a 15 and 25 on ebay at present.

Hasselblad100

Postby Hasselblad100 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Naim 272?

XACITY

Postby XACITY » Sat May 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Hasselblad100 wrote:Naim 272?

Thats what I was looking at but was sold on the included CD transport oh and a good deal as well!

jobseeker

Postby jobseeker » Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 am

Might the OP want preamp functionality now or at some future time? DSD compatibility/conversion plus Upsampling? Roon, MQA? Bluetooth / Airplay? Headphone output also? That would obviously affect choices.

I have the Lindeman Musicbook 20 and it is very good, bearing in mind that it's a high quality preamp / headphone amp too. At the moment no Roon or MQA support if that matters to you. Also the Tidal aspect of their app is not as good as some others. Roon does matter to me so at the moment I'm playing with both a Bluesound Node 2 and Auralic Aries mini connected to it by various methods. They are both clever in different ways at their sub £500 price point and both are pretty good streamer/dacs in their own right. Both have better Tidal integration right now and I can control them via Roon. Auralic have an interesting range. There's also the likes of Mytek, Lumin, Audio Alchemy, SimAudio, Hegel.

The just launched TEAC NT-505 looks potentially very interesting at it's £1500 price point, with full preamp functionality, Roon / MQA (future software update), plus Tidal/Qobuz and very flexible DAC capability. Worth an audition perhaps if the sound lives up to the spec.

To be honest there's a fair bit of interesting stuff out there right now. However, I feel that control apps are critical to user enjoyment of these devices almost as much as sound quality, so look carefully at that.