Bel Canto VBS v Bel Canto VBL

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Bel Canto VBS v Bel Canto VBL

Postby angelface » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:35 am

My new power supply for my Bel Canto DAC 3.7 has finally arrived. I only had an hour to try it out last night and I was really impressed with the improvement over my current VBS (which can power 3 Bel Canto components).

Anyone know how to swap the faceplates as if it is not too hard I might put the new black one on the VBS?
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Gozer

Re: Bel Canto VBS v Bel Canto VBL

Postby Gozer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:51 pm

"Easy to install, remove 6 screws of component, remove cover, remove screws with hex wrench" according to someone selling one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bel-Canto-Blac ... 2773710401
DS214+ - BC REFlink - BC Dac3.5vb - BC Pre3vb - BC Ref 1000 - Raidho C1.1

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for that. Still not sure if I am going to do the swap.

Spent an enjoyable evening swapping between the two boxes. Some music (e.g. London Grammar ) sounded soooo much better with VBL. Clearer, smoother and more natural. Other music (e.g. The Kills) was more subtle differences. Different instruments were more distinct. Overall it feels like I've bought a new DAC.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:12 pm

thanks good to know its an improvement , presumably they have stopped doing the vbl now have they not ?

i am using a little psu made by someone for my dac 3.5 but not compared with my vbs
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:43 am

Did a blind test with my wife (no not to see if another wife sounded better!)

She preferred the sound with VBS! I am putting this down to 3 factors
1) She decided that the second test was with VBL(it was VBS) so she wanted it to sound better
2) The VBL is not fully run in.
3) She doesn't like the clearer sound!

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:58 pm

So, what is a VBS and a VBL?

I see the bel canto stuff on here quite a lot, the model numbers confuse me.

I see that the VBS is virtual battery supply but I can't seem to find much about the VBL

I also get a bit confused about the dacs, they have numbers like 3.7.
Last edited by madaboutlawns on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:10 pm

A friend once referred to my (then new) power supply for Naim kit as 'a very expensive plug'. He was wrong. Lots of power supplies later I cannot over emphasise the importance of power supplies. Glad your getting the best from your new one. Bigger, better, redesigned? They all seem to make a difference. ( power supply MSU for Chord QUTE2 - power supply for Michell Turntable. Power supply for Hattor Pre and getting one for my Project Phono Amp)

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm

the vbs is a power supply that was the first one made by bel canto and it powered 3 components like the cd2 or FM1 tuner and pre 3

there were several dacs , the 1.5 , the 3.5 and 3.5 mark 2 . these were vbs powered dacs . or you could use a little LNS psu to power them

then there was a 2.5 dac which was direct mains powered

bel canto upgraded the 3.5 mark 2 dac to a 3.7 which was powered by the single supply unit , the vbl . you can use it with vbs though

now bc has stopped making these separate power supplies which is irritating and only can you get the upgraded 2.7 or 1.7 dac

they are all here

http://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/bel-canto-design.html
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:51 pm

angelface wrote:Did a blind test with my wife (no not to see if another wife sounded better!)

She preferred the sound with VBS! I am putting this down to 3 factors
1) She decided that the second test was with VBL(it was VBS) so she wanted it to sound better
2) The VBL is not fully run in.
3) She doesn't like the clearer sound!

thanks for this , always good to have the wife`s opinion
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:23 am

madaboutlawns wrote:So, what is a VBS and a VBL?

I see the bel canto stuff on here quite a lot, the model numbers confuse me.

I see that the VBS is virtual battery supply but I can't seem to find much about the VBL

I also get a bit confused about the dacs, they have numbers like 3.7.

VBL is later (and perhaps better) than VBS but does the same thing. VBS can power 3 components (say DAC, CDP and Pre) while VBL only powers one. I have had a pre3VBS and DAC3VB before getting DAC3.7.

As Bel Canto have stopped making the better models (they have a very expensive new Black range), second hand prices have crashed making them absolute bargains if you can find them. pre3VBS is very good and DACs are excellent IMHO.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:24 pm

yes , been using the pre 3 vbs for a few months now . it is excellent sonically and practically in that it remembers the volumes for all the channels . absolute Godsend
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner