Room Acoustic Treatment

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Room Acoustic Treatment

Postby angelface » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 am

When I had my main system in the lounge I managed to negociate the following treatment

1200x600 GIK 244 Bass trap horizontal behind TV and thus between speakers
Foam in picture frame behind an oil painting behind the settee we use for watching TV

Now I have a dedicated listening room but it is much smaller. Sounded dreadful until I placed Bass trap behind my head.
Two more 1200x600 GIK 244 Bass traps were purchased and postioned behind speakers and towards centre so absorbing first reflections off back wall. This improved imaging and bass.

Latest purchase was two 600x600 GIK 244 panels that bridge rear corners. On some quieter tracks in feels if bass is a bit missing but with rock music the drums and bass guitar are really clear.

I have no treatment on ceiling but this is high compared with my distance from speakers. I have no treatment on side walls but again these are far enough away compared from my speaker distance.

Overall I am very happy with sound so far.

Can I recommend GIK seconds that appear most weeks on ebay if like me you love a bargain?
Last edited by angelface on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Room Acoustic Treatment

Postby hifinutt » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:32 pm

thanks for update stephen , i went to a lecture on this subject by the boss of GIK recently
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

Starwarsmike2422

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Well done. I still cannot believe how much a difference they have made to the sound. Huge upgrade. I used Alpha panels on side walls for reflection points & GIK 242 for ceiling.
SME 20 Turntable - SME V (Ikeda wire) - Van Den Hul Colibri XPG
ASR Basis Exclusive Phonostage
ASR Emitter II Blue Amplifier
Roon to TAD D1000
Sonus Faber Amati Speakers
Furutech Silver Arrow & Reference Fidelity Saturn cables

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm quite new to room treatments, I have watched over a dozen youtube videos.
How do you know if you need it?
I'm guessing it's when you can hear an over powering boom from the bass?

Also what do the panels look like inside, is it flat absorbing material inside a frame or is it some type of tunnel system with sound absorbing material that sends the bass on a journey?
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

Starwarsmike2422

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:23 am

Hi Madaboutlawns

before I installed GIK panels, I knew nothing about them, if you go to GIK website they have great section for learning what each panel does. Not all panels are for absorbing, look at reflection points.

With regards to your question how do you know if you need them, installing acoustic treatment will improve your sound “full stop”, if you email GIK & give your room size/position etc, they will recommend what to get. The good thing is you can start with a few panels & increase from there. What size of room do you have? & where is your listening position.

GIK might want you to analyse your room using a mic & raw software. It will give them the detail they need to advise what panels you need. I’ll lend you the mic if you want, just pay for postage. Cost me £150, so worth getting a lend from me.

Cheers

Michael
SME 20 Turntable - SME V (Ikeda wire) - Van Den Hul Colibri XPG
ASR Basis Exclusive Phonostage
ASR Emitter II Blue Amplifier
Roon to TAD D1000
Sonus Faber Amati Speakers
Furutech Silver Arrow & Reference Fidelity Saturn cables

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 am

If you really want to get your head around acoustics then get the book Master Handbook of Acoustics (6th edition); heavy going.

GIK video's and tutorials are very useful. Its pretty straight forward stuff at a cursory view for what your looking for. Once you start getting into the specific problems such as the orders of reflections, etc down the rabbit hole you go. Explain the issues and give drawings or measurement readings, contact them for exactly what they need to assist; until you buy its no obligation.

I've gone down the absorption route with a mix of scatter panels (simple form of diffusion) too keep the sound livened. You can absorb anything, but you steal the energy completely if you go to far. I've gone to the nth degree and currently have 18 panels. But I've been dealing with reflection points and the issues after soundproofing a room.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:25 am

hifinutt wrote:thanks for update stephen , i went to a lecture on this subject by the boss of GIK recently

Only thing I am not convinced by that GIK say is the idea of speakers against the wall if you have sound panels behind.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and help.
Thank you starwarsmike2422 for the offer to borrow your mike and also thanks to caine for the info on the book.
I think I might start off with trying to get to grips with the book first.
I think I can see the rabbit hole, but I'll have to put it on hold for a short while.
My wife and I have just found out that we're having twins. So I'm a little tied up with things at the minute.
As we've already got 2 little ones I'm spending my free time trawling the internet looking for viano or v class to transport us all around in.
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C