Custom Roon Server

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Starwarsmike2422

Custom Roon Server

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi I thought I would post this in case anyone for considering buying a Roon Nucleus (Every expensive for what it is) £2500

If you are handy with PC's, then maybe this is for you..

Hardware....used for the build

Case - HDplex gen 2 case (fanless PC) (Gorgeous case) see photo below
Internal PSU - 250W hdplex psu
Processor - Intel i7-7700T CPU
Motherboard - Asus Q170m-c
Ram - 16gb DDR4
SSD (Windows) - 256Gb (sandisk X600 enterprise model )
SSD (Data/Music) - 500Gb SSD WD Blue
Linear PSU - MCRU Linear Power supply

Software

Roon server
HQ player
Audiophile Optimizer

I am using this PC solely as a server for Roon, I don't use it for anything else. If you are planning on doing this, I would consider using Audiophile Optimizer, I completely strips windows (of it's windows actually). Creates a shell for Roon and HQ player, so on startup it logs you in automatically and takes you straight to Roon & HQ player. Everything else in Windows is disables, no graphics, nothing. Minimum background processes running. This speeds up Roons Metadata substantially.

If you wan t to use the pc for audio and Windows, then you can, either Dual boot two versions of windows or just don't use Audio Optimizer

This PC is a very very fast PC, boots after Bios screen in 1-2 seconds.

Cost Excluding the Linear Power supply, the build cost £1500 (including Audio Optimizer) add Linear Power supply then £2000.

If you compare this to Roon Nucleus costing £2500, then £500 saving to be had, but the big win here is the performance and super slick case.

The other obvious option is to use an Intel NUC, less power and not fanless.

If PC builds are out of your comfort zone, sure I'll be able to help and fellow audiophile like myself :)

IMG_708855555555555.jpg
IMG_708855555555555.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 170 times
ASR Emitter Exclusive Blue II
HDPlex Case (fanless) + MCRU Linear PSU + HQPlayer Roon - SOTM Ultra - SOTM SPS 500
TAD D1000 DAC/CD
Sonus Faber Amati Speakers
Reference Fidelity Saturn RCA - Neotech NES-3001 + Furutech 201
Mains - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - MCRU Pinnacle (to P5) - Nanotech Strada 309 - Furutech NCF plugs
Symposium Ultra Platforms and Rollerblocks
GIK Acoustics

Attonine

Re: Custom Roon Server

Postby Attonine » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Don’t Roon list various Nucleus build options, with amazon links to the components on the Roon forums?
I cant check at the moment, but I seem to remember they were pretty helpful in that regard.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

RichardLowe

Re: Custom Roon Server

Postby RichardLowe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Attonine wrote:Don’t Roon list various Nucleus build options, with amazon links to the components on the Roon forums?
I cant check at the moment, but I seem to remember they were pretty helpful in that regard.

Yes they do. I built an Intel NUC using Roon Core OS using the instructions on their site. Its based on Linux and already pre-optimised, so you don't have the hassle of tweaking Windows, or worrying about future Windows updates breaking anything!
(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w11