PMC Fact 12

post your reviews of Cyrus kit here, and any other hifi components.
Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Re: PMC Fact 12

Postby Joe » Thu May 09, 2019 5:17 pm

https://pmc-speakers.com/news/pmc’s-fact-loudspeakers-achieve-signature-status

Now that they've been officially announced at Munich, I can let you know that I'll be getting one of the first pairs of Fact 12 Signature Edition off the production line!

When Fanthorpes placed the order back in December, PMC informed them that they were experiencing manufacturing issues with the white finish and there would be a delay until around March. In the meantime, PMC lent me their white show speakers so that Fanthorpes could have their demo set back. A few weeks ago I was informed there would be a further delay as they're working on a tweaked version, and I'd be getting a pair. I suspect PMC simply ran out of white stock and weren't producing any more. Either way, I'd be a bit miffed had I settled for graphite.

There don't seem to be many changes, which I consider a good thing. Mainly an improved crossover design from the Fenestria. I'll let you know if they sound different.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

Rune

Postby Rune » Sun May 12, 2019 4:28 pm

The PMC room was the most interesting and impressive this year in Munich!

Mainly because it was about music. They played a brand new unreleased Dolby Atmos version of Miles Davis Kind of Blue on a 20 speaker setup. The Sound engineers from Capitol records, representatives/family from the Miles Davis foundation.
The engineers explained how they had done the new Kind of Blue recording.
There where also some other great Atmos mixes played by other artists equally impressive.
It must have cost a fortune to fly that many people in from the US.

I did unfortunately not hear the Fact 12 Signature. I only recognized the three fenestria in the front.
Source: Asrock DeskMini i5-7600 as RoonCore, LakeWest MiniStreamer
DAC: Pro-Ject pre box S2 DAC
Integrated Amp: Gryphon Diable 300
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: Isotek Evo3 Sigmas, ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun May 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Rune wrote:I only recognized the three fenestria in the front.

Hard to miss!
A lottery win and a new house to fit them in and I'd have a white pair in a heartbeat.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri May 31, 2019 8:15 am

Joe wrote:
Rune wrote:I only recognized the three fenestria in the front.

Hard to miss!
A lottery win and a new house to fit them in and I'd have a white pair in a heartbeat.

I know how you feel except mine would be Wilson Benesch A.C.T. One Evolutions.

Of course I am not stupid enough to actually do the lottery O0
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Some thoughts after running in the Signature version for the suggested 50+ hours.

Very similar to the old model, which is a good thing, and to be expected as "all" they've done is upgrade the crossover. That said, there's more bass, strangely enough. Hard to expand on "more". Maybe they handle power a bit better, maybe it's just because the pair I had on loan had hundreds of hours on them and the drivers are looser so "snap back" more quickly. Time will tell but for now the bass is a bit fuller, which complements a lot of recordings but can sound a tad loose on bassy tracks. I may consider putting the Gaia's back on eventually. I don't find myself pondering a more powerful amp for more welly at the moment though. Big, room filling, rich sound.

At the other end, I feel the treble might be a bit less spicy. I have the treble switches in the roll-off position as my room is a touch on the lively side, so maybe that just has greater effect. I could see myself moving to the neutral position if I get a TT2 and using the HF filter on that instead.

Midrange may be a little richer, probably as a result of the above. Iggy Pop really growls on his new album.

In summary, I prefer these to the old Fact 12. I think they may be a shade more "musical" and less "analytical" but without any loss of insight. I couldn't honestly swear to it without having them side by side and fully run in though.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 pm

glad to hear, i think another 50 hours will give you a better idea
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Good to hear you're enjoying the Signature model Joe. I know you've said you don't ponder a more powerful amp at the moment, but the Fact 12 is a very low sensitivity speaker rated at 84 dB so I would imagine really craves power. I'd be tempted to at least get a demo of something a little more powerful just to see what happens. The looseness you mention on bassy tracks could be down to power. Particularly if you like listening at higher volumes. All down to personal taste though so just keep enjoying them as they continue to improve. Great speakers, I'd love to hear the Sig version. And the Fenestria's needless to say!
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:33 pm

I will definitely try a more powerful amp at some point, out of curiosity if nothing else. The Luxman L-509X is the obvious starting point. When I first auditioned the speakers I assumed a new amp would be next but I was amazed at how well my 590 was handling them. The dealer had told me it would and they have another customer with the same combination. The amp is 30W class A but puts out around 95W in A/B. I noticed PMC were using the Cor with these at Munich which has a similar output. It no doubt helps that I don't listen loud and the room isn't huge but yes, one day I will unleash the beasts!

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 am

I hadn't heard of the PMC Cor till you mentioned it. Looks like a very good value amp, and you would imagine it matches well with the Fact 12 if they were demo-ing the Sig's at the World's largest trade show on the back of it! Fanthorpes stock them and they usually do home demos do they not? And of course you enjoy the Luxman sound so the 509-X would be an obvious fit as you say.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se